Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Who are the Palestinian Arabs, and how "indigenous" are they to Israel/Palestine?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    J2a
    mtDNA
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by Erikl86 View Post
    Well it's not only these things.

For example, one of the Arabic names Palestinians used for Jerusalem, is Bait Al-Maqdis, which obviously derive from the Jewish Hebrew name for the Temple in Jerusalem - Beit Ha Miqdash בית המקדש.

In fact, one of the Palestinian armed factions in the Syrian Civil War, called itself Ankaf Bait Al-Maqdis. It's a bit ironic since I know recent Palestinian narrative includes rejection and denial of the historical existence of any Jewish Temple on the Temple Mount.

In any case, there is also the old tradition, or minhag, of Yemenite Jews how to conduct the Tachanun prayer, a prayer which Jews say during most of the non-holiday days of the week, at the end of Shacharit (Jewish morning prayer) and Mincha (Jewish afternoon prayer).

Tachanun is done in a certain posture, which is called "nefilat apayim" נפילת אפיים - literal translation means "falling on the face". The original practice, in which people knelt down until their faces touched the ground to show humility and submission to God, was practiced by the Baladi-rite Yemenite Jews, which was the practice of all Yemenite Jews until the 16th century.

It is reminiscent of the Muslim way of prayer.

Another interesting thing is the way Karaite Jews currently prayer - which is still, similar to the "nefilat apayim" and looks like the Muslim way of prayer. Karaite synagogues have no chairs, for example, just rugs, reminding of a mosque in that way.

While today Karaite Judaism is but a small minority among Jews, during the 9th century AD, some sources estimate that ~40% of the Jews were Karaites.

It's quite possible that the Muslims which saw the way Yemenite Jews prayer, and outside of Arabia the way Karaite Jews prayed, adopted that as well.
    There was a gradual shift away from Judaism. Initially Yom Kippur was celebrated and the day of rest was on Saturday.
    Last edited by josh w.; 12-05-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Registered Users
    Y-DNA
    I-Y16419
    mtDNA
    T2e1

For example, one of the Arabic names Palestinians used for Jerusalem, is Bait Al-Maqdis, which obviously derive from the Jewish Hebrew name for the Temple in Jerusalem - Beit Ha Miqdash בית המקדש.

In fact, one of the Palestinian armed factions in the Syrian Civil War, called itself Ankaf Bait Al-Maqdis. It's a bit ironic since I know recent Palestinian narrative includes rejection and denial of the historical existence of any Jewish Temple on the Temple Mount.

In any case, there is also the old tradition, or minhag, of Yemenite Jews how to conduct the Tachanun prayer, a prayer which Jews say during most of the non-holiday days of the week, at the end of Shacharit (Jewish morning prayer) and Mincha (Jewish afternoon prayer).

Tachanun is done in a certain posture, which is called "nefilat apayim" נפילת אפיים - literal translation means "falling on the face". The original practice, in which people knelt down until their faces touched the ground to show humility and submission to God, was practiced by the Baladi-rite Yemenite Jews, which was the practice of all Yemenite Jews until the 16th century.

Another interesting thing is the way Karaite Jews currently prayer - which is still, similar to the "nefilat apayim" and looks like the Muslim way of prayer. Karaite synagogues have no chairs, for example, just rugs, reminding of a mosque in that way.

While today Karaite Judaism is but a small minority among Jews, during the 9th century AD, some sources estimate that ~40% of the Jews were Karaites.

It's quite possible that the Muslims which saw the way Yemenite Jews prayer, and outside of Arabia the way Karaite Jews prayed, adopted that as well.
    hmmmm .. so the Jews had a hand in the foundation of Islam, now thats what I call divine comedy, it would be so ironic.

yalla, that's only one of the dozen conspiracy theories thats thrown at you people, you can handle it

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IronHorse For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (12-05-2018),  jonahst (12-05-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

Iraq Iraq 1959-1963

Just for the record. Karaism was founded after the formation of Islam not before and A'nan ben Dawood himself was heavily influenced by his surrounding 'Muslim' Iraq/Mesopotamia at the time, not sure about Yemen though....now back to genetics

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Lebanese
    Y-DNA
    J2a2
    mtDNA
    X2i

Lebanon Albania United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by azucanc View Post
    Just for the record. Karaism was founded after the formation of Islam not before and A'nan ben Dawood himself was heavily influenced by his surrounding 'Muslim' Iraq/Mesopotamia at the time, not sure about Yemen though....now back to genetics
    This correlates with what I know. I recently attended a lecture on medieval Karaism and the professor (an Israeli) stressed that Karaism was influenced by Islam, not the other way around. However, I have heard that prayer in early Judaism resembled modern Islamic prayer but I don't have a conclusion about that.
    78.1% Lebanese (Lebanon) + 21.9% Kosovar (Kosovo) @ 3.3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofPhoenicia001 For This Useful Post:

azucanc (12-05-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish (Ashkenazi)
    Y-DNA
    Q-YP3924 (Q-M378)
    mtDNA
    K1a1b1a

Israel
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofPhoenicia001 View Post
    This correlates with what I know. I recently attended a lecture on medieval Karaism and the professor (an Israeli) stressed that Karaism was influenced by Islam, not the other way around. However, I have heard that prayer in early Judaism resembled modern Islamic prayer but I don't have a conclusion about that.
    Both Rabbinic and Karaite Judaism had philosophical transactions with Islam during Medieval period.

And while surely Anan ben David lived after the foundation of Islam, there's nothing in contemporary Karaite Judaism that suggest it had any roots or fundamental basis in Islam.
    Karaite way of prayer is most likely quite similar to how all Jews used to pray during ancient times.
    Last edited by Erikl86; 12-05-2018 at 10:12 PM.
    Check out my Hidden Content
    My Y-DNA: Q-M242 -> Q-L232 -> Q-L275 -> Q-M378 -> Q-Y2016 -> Q-L245 -> Q-FGC1904 -> Q-Y2209 -> Q-Y2225 -> Q-Y2197 -> Q-Y2750 -> Q-YP1004 -> Q-YP3924;
    My mtDNA: K1a1b1a;

My dad's mtDNA: K2a2a;

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erikl86 For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (12-05-2018),  jonahst (12-06-2018),  Power77 (12-07-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & British
    Y-DNA
    J1-YSC234 (Z18271+)
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Israel Israel Jerusalem United Kingdom England Scotland Isle of Man
    Much of Karaite Judaism's core elements are reminiscent of Sadducaic practices, so the roots of Karaite Judaism might well go back to Second Temple Judaism.
    ᾽Άλλο δέ τοι ἐρέω, σὺ δ᾽ ἐνὶ φρεσὶ βάλλεο σῇσιν:
    κρύβδην, μηδ᾽ ἀναφανδά, φίλην ἐς πατρίδα γαῖαν
    νῆα κατισχέμεναι: ἐπεὶ οὐκέτι πιστὰ γυναιξίν.

-Αγαμέμνων; H Οδύσσεια, Ραψωδία λ

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (12-05-2018),  jonahst (12-06-2018),  Power77 (12-07-2018)

Registered Users
    Y-DNA
    I-Y16419
    mtDNA
    T2e1

Similarities between Islam and Judaism. Part 1

Similarities between Islam and Judaism. Part 2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IronHorse For This Useful Post:

Erikl86 (12-09-2018)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011