Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Griffin surname and When did we become Irish?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2f

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Is McLaughlin not a very Irish name from Donegal?
    Yes, McLaughlin or McLoughlin is an Irish surname but the name Lochlainn was a forename of Norse origin. However, this doesn't mean that everyone with this surname has Norse origins (like those associated with Ui Neill) but it is possible that there could be some who have the surname because of Scandinavian roots. The surname Higgins means Viking and Broderick is also derived from a Norse personal name and they're both surnames associated with Ireland. It doesn't mean that everyone with this surname might necessarily have paternal origins from Scandinavia. Maybe they just liked the name! I'm sure there are lots of people with these surnames who have done Y-DNA testing with nothing to suggest links to Scandinavia.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e1)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

griffinwhale1 (12-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-U106>R-BY128969

Ireland Germany Switzerland England
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Is McLaughlin not a very Irish name from Donegal?
    It is, except the one in my block doesn't seem to be.
    Paternal GF: Griffin; Paternal GM: Scully
    Maternal GF: Kohls; Maternal GM: Wilson

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-U106>R-BY128969

Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    Yes, McLaughlin or McLoughlin is an Irish surname but the name Lochlainn was a forename of Norse origin. However, this doesn't mean that everyone with this surname has Norse origins (like those associated with Ui Neill) but it is possible that there could be some who have the surname because of Scandinavian roots. The surname Higgins means Viking and Broderick is also derived from a Norse personal name and they're both surnames associated with Ireland. It doesn't mean that everyone with this surname might necessarily have paternal origins from Scandinavia. Maybe they just liked the name! I'm sure there are lots of people with these surnames who have done Y-DNA testing with nothing to suggest links to Scandinavia.
    My conclusion was only based on the other people in my block. It's a small block but spans Ireland to Sweden and Norway.

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z12
    mtDNA
    I3b (FMS)

Quote Originally Posted by griffinwhale1 View Post
    Would it mean that migration looks like this:

>>broadly Scandinavian >> settled in France creating Normandy >> set out to various UK location, including Wales and Scotland >> sent to Ireland and in time integrated?
    Quite a reasonable proposition.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GTC For This Useful Post:

griffinwhale1 (12-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by GTC View Post
    Quite a reasonable proposition.
    Agreed. Although with most things genetic there isn't quite enough to say other routes aren't possible.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-08-2018),  griffinwhale1 (12-09-2018),  JonikW (12-09-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R-U106>R-BY128969

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    Agreed. Although with most things genetic there isn't quite enough to say other routes aren't possible.
    Very much agree. This thread is just hypotheses and guesses. When DNA tells the story from such a long time ago and paper trail dried up, filling in the middle of your tid eline leads to various stories. What was good for me, is reading as much as possible re: history and trying to lay things down to help make sense of it all. Not filled with facts of course, but we're human and filling in gaps is what we have at the moment.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

McLaughlin is a well-discussed surname in M222 circles especially from the time the late John McLaughlin led our group. But there are also the Argyllshire McLachlans who I'm pretty sure John believed were unconnected. I haven't kept track of whether proven members of the latter have actually done any modern SNP testing. Their distribution in Scotland is quite different from McLaughlin which shows the typical distribution of an Irish immigrant surname. Really needs in situ testing.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    I-A14097

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France Cornwall
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    McLaughlin is a well-discussed surname in M222 circles especially from the time the late John McLaughlin led our group. But there are also the Argyllshire McLachlans who I'm pretty sure John believed were unconnected. I haven't kept track of whether proven members of the latter have actually done any modern SNP testing. Their distribution in Scotland is quite different from McLaughlin which shows the typical distribution of an Irish immigrant surname. Really needs in situ testing.
    With a cursory look on the McLaughlin DNA project at FTDNA most of the Scottish members don't seem to belong to R-M222. So it's probably reasonable to assume that the Scottish MacLachlans are an unrelated group. I know the Scottish MacLachlans and several other clans (Lamont, MacEwen, MacNeill, etc) claim to be part of an O'Neill kindred.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (12-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    With a cursory look on the McLaughlin DNA project at FTDNA most of the Scottish members don't seem to belong to R-M222. So it's probably reasonable to assume that the Scottish MacLachlans are an unrelated group. I know the Scottish MacLachlans and several other clans (Lamont, MacEwen, MacNeill, etc) claim to be part of an O'Neill kindred.
    Difficult to say since as usual at that lab most of their 'Scottish' data is too poor in terms of paper trail or even surname. There are only 2 people claiming to come from Argyllshire (base of the MacLachlans) and neither of them are McLachlans/McLaughlins. It puzzles and frustrates me when people put down Scotland as country of origin when their paper trail goes to Ireland or is stuck in the US.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Difficult to say since as usual at that lab most of their 'Scottish' data is too poor in terms of paper trail or even surname. There are only 2 people claiming to come from Argyllshire (base of the MacLachlans) and neither of them are McLachlans/McLaughlins. It puzzles and frustrates me when people put down Scotland as country of origin when their paper trail goes to Ireland or is stuck in the US.
    The desire to claim Scottish ancestry is quite strong for many and it can complicate things at times
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

MacUalraig (12-15-2018),  Saetro (12-15-2018)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast