Nationality
    Anglo-Kiwi-Euro
    Y-DNA (P)
    I 1a2a1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    R1a1

United Kingdom New Zealand England Adygea European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I'm not an I-M253 expert, but the ISOGG I Tree shows I-S1954 as I1a2a1a1a, a subclade of I-S244 (I-Z58) or I1a2.

Maciamo Hay of Eupedia has I-Z58 as leading to branches that he has labeled as "West Germanic" and "Anglo-Saxon": http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I1_Y-DNA.shtml

I don't know whether that is accurate or not.
    Hugely helpful, thanks.

I think I'm going to enjoy this research !

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA (P)
    I - L338/YSC261
    mtDNA (M)
    V

England Ireland Denmark Sweden Norway
    Ken Nordtvedt is collating Chromo 2/Big Y results for the I1 Haplogroup.

Ken posts on the I1 Haplogroup mailing list at Rootsweb. You can browse the archived messages without actually joining the list from here.
    http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/i...LOGROUP-I.html

If you havnt sent Ken your raw files, you should consider doing so.

His following webpage has files with the different branches
    http://knordtvedt.home.bresnan.net/
    Chromo2Z58.pptx has S1954/YSC00261 and subclades.

There is also a Z140 project at FTDNA,, they have a Facebook group collecting and discussing results aswell.
    https://www.familytreedna.com/public...tion=yresults/
    Last edited by rivergirl; 03-16-2014 at 01:33 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rivergirl For This Useful Post:

Melcombe (03-16-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I'm not an I-M253 expert, but the ISOGG I Tree shows I-S1954 as I1a2a1a1a, a subclade of I-S244 (I-Z58) or I1a2.

Maciamo Hay of Eupedia has I-Z58 as leading to branches that he has labeled as "West Germanic" and "Anglo-Saxon": http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I1_Y-DNA.shtml

I don't know whether that is accurate or not.
    The maps at Eupedia are certainly very nice and well-done, but I wouldn't put too much into some of the hypotheses pushed by Eupedia. I1-Z140 and its subclades definitely have a bit more of a continental pull with a westward bias, but they are by no means solely associated with the Angles, Saxons, etc. Using Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Bothnian, etc in the names of these clades was, I believe, Nordtvedt's way of suggesting a geographic distribution and not necessarily the origin/identity of the clade's founder and the mechanism of expansion of the clade.

All that said, Melcombe, it appears you're from southern UK; so it's highly likely that your I1-S1954 paternal lineage is consistent with the current understanding of the migration of some continental Germanic tribes to southern and south-eastern England. Have you done any other testing?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Anglo-Kiwi-Euro
    Y-DNA (P)
    I 1a2a1a1a
    mtDNA (M)
    R1a1

United Kingdom New Zealand England Adygea European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromatic View Post
    The maps at Eupedia are certainly very nice and well-done, but I wouldn't put too much into some of the hypotheses pushed by Eupedia. I1-Z140 and its subclades definitely have a bit more of a continental pull with a westward bias, but they are by no means solely associated with the Angles, Saxons, etc. Using Anglo-Saxon, Norse, Bothnian, etc in the names of these clades was, I believe, Nordtvedt's way of suggesting a geographic distribution and not necessarily the origin/identity of the clade's founder and the mechanism of expansion of the clade.

All that said, Melcombe, it appears you're from southern UK; so it's highly likely that your I1-S1954 paternal lineage is consistent with the current understanding of the migration of some continental Germanic tribes to southern and south-eastern England. Have you done any other testing?
    That's very instructive, thanks.

My result came from my Chromo2 analysis - which has given me more data than I quite know what to do with. I had taken my first test in 2012, but I was 'upgraded' to Chromo2. Im now trying to master the terminology and to understand what reasonable inferences can be drawn from results.

Im sorry to say that I know little about my family history prior to my great grandfather's generation being based in Herefordshire and he and his brothers marrying into mainly Welsh families, but beyond that I suspect they were fairly itinerant and followed work where they could find it and the trail further back is quite lost.

One point of curiosity for me is the existence of a family in Cork with my surname who can trace ancestry through named individuals to the Norman invasion. Ive always been rather impressed by that sort of detective work, but TBH I find the potential to track ancient population migrations by modern methods equally compelling. Likewise, if I were able to discover as yet unknown relatives, that would be great.

I do think there is some merit in the slightly commercial approach of BDNA if it fosters broader interest in the science, but in the 2 years since joining, my results have already shifted from "Teutonic" to "Anglo Saxon" in their nomenclature - and I see that my S1954 result puts me in a subclade of I1a2 as of just over a week ago (according to a note on the ISOGG 2014 page). In Eupedia terms my possible origins have, it seems, shifted northwards from the land of timely trains and penalty shootout success to the epicentre of flatpack furniture and very safe car design...

Of more curiosity (to me at least) is that only 0.5% of the UK population share the S-197 marker which BDNA call "Anglo-Saxon". Presumably the colloquial term Anglo-Saxon encompassed a much larger population in the first millennium CE?

Im still waiting on my mDNA result from BDNA - apparently it's sufficiently uncommon for it to be still in the research phase (or maybe my order's been lost). I'm sorry to say that I can't really understand the idea of "population percentage" in my BDNA "All My Ancestry" results - but the full listing of the YDNA signature is helpful.

Regards

David

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Great Migration Colonists
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U106 (S10415)
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2g (FMS)
    Y-DNA (M)
    I1a-P109 (23andMe)
    mtDNA (P)
    T2b3 (23andMe)

United States Gadsden England Scotland Ireland Wales
    Just a note that the probe for S499 (Z301) is not working properly on the Chromo2. It is reporting everyone as negative, even when they are showing positive for its subclades.

I have asked YSEQ to make S499 available for purchase for individuals who may be S499/Z301+ but negative for its subclades. They said this SNP should be available soon (under S499).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I BY34648.
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1-t146!

England United Kingdom
    Hi Everyone, I have just registered on the forum.

My name is Ade Stevenson. I have taken the Chromo2 test via Britains DNA.. I am I-M253, with a subclad of I-S246. I don't carry the Red Hair gene. MT DNA is "T", subtype T2c1.

I am more than happy to share my raw data.

From my family tree research my Stevenson bloodline has certainly lived in Nottinghamshire, England since 1580.

Cheers, Ade.

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have taken the Chromo2 test via Britains DNA.. I am I-M253, with a subclad of I-S246.
    According to ISOGG, S246 is the same as Z59. You might take a look at Ken Nordtvedt's haplotree for Z58, the immediate parent of Z59. (It's a PowerPoint slide.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (05-21-2014)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I BY34648.
    mtDNA (M)
    T2c1-t146!

England United Kingdom
    Thanks, I have already taken a look there. I have dropped Ken a line a few weeks ago but I have not heard back as yet? But I suspect he is a very busy man.

Cheers, Ade.

Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    H3a1

Australia Ireland England Scotland Canada
    I-M253. Chromo 2 results should be in within 2 weeks. (I have passed the 10 week estimate for results to be available.) I am on FTDNA, 23andMe and AncestryDNA also.

Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-M253
    mtDNA (M)
    H3a1

Australia Ireland England Scotland Canada
    Looks like I show as I-S1954 also. Initial results came in today. Positive for S337. Will do some research and see what it means.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast