Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    M3d1

United States of America India Kingdom of Travancore

Malayalam Corner മലയാളം മൂല

With the support of Kulin Chettan, khanabadoshi Chettan and surbakhunWeesste Chettan, I'm starting a Malayalam thread.

- Any Malayalam related topic is Welcome

- Tips and tricks to learn Malayalam are welcome, especially for Indo-Aryan speakers.

Cheats:

If you're a Tamil speaker, try using the Tamil word if you don't know the Malayalam word for something, most often, the words are very similar in Malayalam and Tamil. If you want to curse out a Malayali, EVERY SINGLE curse word in Malayalam originated from Tamil..so go ahead..use the same swear words. I'm not responsible for the repercussions.

If you're an Indo-Aryan langage speaker, try adding -am to Sanskrit words to create a Malayalam word. This should work for a lot of words...but not all of them.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

bmoney (12-19-2018),  client (03-12-2019),  Jatt1 (02-21-2019),  khanabadoshi (12-12-2018),  Kulin (12-12-2018),  Mandoos (12-12-2018),  pnb123 (12-13-2018),  poi (12-12-2018),  Reza (12-12-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (12-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    M3d1

Lesson 1

Family

These words can vary according to a person's Religion and Caste.

Mother- Amma(informal), Mathavu (formal)
    - If you're cursing, you use the word "thalla" instead.

Father - Achan (informal), Pithaavu (formal)
    - For cursing, use "thantha"

Generic term for a female sibling: pengal/sahodhari , Male sibling: Aangala/ Sahodharan

Older sister - Chechi

Older brother - Chettan

-everyone's a chettan or chechi if you think they look older than you. If they're younger, it's fine to address them by their name.

Younger sister - Aniyathi
    Younger brother - Aniyan

Uncle: Ammavan/Maman, Aunt: Ammayi

-Everyone who;s around your parents' age is automatically an uncle or aunty.

Grandpa: Appooppan (varies) , Grandma: Ammoomma

-Everyone who's really old is an Appooppan or Ammoomma.

Son: Makan , Daughter : Makal

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

kush (04-22-2019),  Mandoos (12-12-2018),  Reza (12-12-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (12-13-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    mtDNA
    U1a1c1d

United States of America Dravida Nadu
    some variations:

Apoopan/Grandfather = Appachen
    Father/Achan = Achachen, Appa, Appan (third person)
    Amooma/Grandmother = Ammachi
    Chechi/Older sister = Chettathi
    Chettan/Older brother = Chachen

Son - mon
    Younger uncle - Upaappan
    Daughter - mol

Also the "u" suffix at the end of words almost always sounds like "uh" and not "oo".
    When you're casually calling someone you can add an "eeh" at the end. (e.g., mol-eeeeh for daughter, mon-eeeeh for son, amm-eeeh for mother)

Street malayalam

bro - machi/machan
    young bloke - chekkan
    dude (addressing) - Dei
    sista/gurl (addressing) - Di
    girl - penne/pennu
    crap - k-naapu
    what? - eeeh?
    yeah - aah
    yes/correct - athe
    mandoos - idiot
    vaynokki - moron (literally, someone who stares with their mouth)

Things are easier to pronounce using the script, instead of latin letters which can be ambiguous.
    Last edited by Mandoos; 12-12-2018 at 10:37 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

Kart (12-12-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (12-13-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    M3d1

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoos View Post
    some variations:

Apoopan/Grandfather = Appachan, Achachen
    Amooma/Grandmother = Ammachi
    Chechi/Older sister = Chettathi
    Chettan/Older brother = Chachen

Younger uncle - Upaappan
    These are the Christian versions found in South Kerala.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

Mandoos (12-12-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    M3d1

More useful words:

Nee- you(informal).. like Tum in Hindi
    The word Ningal is special because it can mean "you(plural)" or it can be the formal version of "you"(like Aap in Hindi)
    Njan-me
    Njangal/Nammal - us

Avar - they/them
    Avan- him
    Aval - her

Athe - Yes

Alla (it's a softer la sound) - No

go away - poda (M), Podi (F) (This can be friendly or hostile depending on the tone lol)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

khanabadoshi (12-12-2018),  surbakhunWeesste (12-13-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    mtDNA
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Njan Malayali sikham! athe?
    Njan thankful athe?

lol

Also can you write the script and the sounds too, that would help a lot. What's the syntax to be followed? SOV?

"I am reading this forum" =
    "I do"=
    "I will"=?
    "I walk"
    "I eat"
    etc
    Last edited by surbakhunWeesste; 12-13-2018 at 01:28 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (02-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA
    M3d1

Quote Originally Posted by surbakhunWeesste View Post
    Njan Malayali sikham! athe?
    Njan thankful athe?

lol

Also can you write the script and the sounds too, that would help a lot. What's the syntax to be followed? SOV?

"I am reading this forum" =
    "I do"=
    "I will"=?
    "I walk"
    "I eat"
    etc
    There's more than one word for "yes" depending on the context. There is "aanu" "athe (uh-they)" and "undu". Athe = Yes (as in yes, I'm coming OR yes, he's dumb), Aanu (yes as in something is happening/someone is doing something), IDK how to explain Undu lol Someone else HELP MEEEEEEEE I think you use "undu" when something happens regularly or someone does something regularly.

- Are you tryin'g to say you're a Malayali Sikh? This is where the annoying exceptions come in. When you're talking about a person, the ending becomes -KARAN (or sometimes just -AN) instead of -AM. "Njan (I) oru(a) Malayali SikhKARAN(Sikh guy) aanu(is)". You can rearrange these words in any order. If the subject is a female, it's a SikhKARI. More on "aanu" coming up.

- We don't have an equivalent for "is" or "are" .. we add "aanu". I'm thankful = Njan thankful aanu. When we're talking about a person, we use "aanu" instead of "athe". "Avan oru mandan aanu" (he's stupid)

What's the syntax to be followed? SOV?

there isn't one. Any order works/makes sense lol But "aanu" always comes after the adjective or verb.

"I am reading this forum"
    Njan ee(this) forum vayikkuka(reading) aanu. "ka" at the end means it's in the present.(we don't have an "is")

"I do" .. depending on the context, it varies. I can't think of any examples :/ HELP!!

"I will" .. we don't have a "will" .. we add -um to the verb to convey that. "Njan vaayikkum" .. I will read.

"I walk" .. Njan nadakkuka aanu .. or to imply you regularly walk .. you say "Njan nadakkar undu"

"I eat" Njan kazhikkuka aanu ... or njan kazhikkarundu

The alphabet? It has 56 letters to describe all the Dravidian and Indo-Aryan sounds. fun.
    Last edited by Kart; 12-13-2018 at 01:05 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (02-21-2019),  surbakhunWeesste (12-14-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    mtDNA
    U1a1c1d

United States of America Dravida Nadu
    "undu"/"illa" are antonyms which don't directly translate to yes/no, but are used when you would say yes/no in some english context. To say "is there/existent" you would say undu/ ondu. To say "is not there/not existent" you would say illa.

So when using it in "Njan nadakkar ondu/illa" it functions as an adverb. The closest translation I can think of is "existentially/non-existentially".

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

Kart (12-13-2018),  vishankar (12-14-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    south asian
    Nationality
    indian
    Y-DNA
    R-M198
    mtDNA
    U1

India
    will pitch in with some kannur malayalam I learnt from my wife!

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    mtDNA
    u2b2 gonur;swat

Quote Originally Posted by Kart View Post
    There's more than one word for "yes" depending on the context. There is "aanu" "athe (uh-they)" and "undu". Athe = Yes (as in yes, I'm coming OR yes, he's dumb), Aanu (yes as in something is happening/someone is doing something), IDK how to explain Undu lol Someone else HELP MEEEEEEEE I think you use "undu" when something happens regularly or someone does something regularly.

- Are you tryin'g to say you're a Malayali Sikh? This is where the annoying exceptions come in. When you're talking about a person, the ending becomes -KARAN (or sometimes just -AN) instead of -AM. "Njan (I) oru(a) Malayali SikhKARAN(Sikh guy) aanu(is)". You can rearrange these words in any order. If the subject is a female, it's a SikhKARI. More on "aanu" coming up.

- We don't have an equivalent for "is" or "are" .. we add "aanu". I'm thankful = Njan thankful aanu. When we're talking about a person, we use "aanu" instead of "athe". "Avan oru mandan aanu" (he's stupid)

What's the syntax to be followed? SOV?

there isn't one. Any order works/makes sense lol But "aanu" always comes after the adjective or verb.

"I am reading this forum"
    Njan ee(this) forum vayikkuka(reading) aanu. "ka" at the end means it's in the present.(we don't have an "is")

"I do" .. depending on the context, it varies. I can't think of any examples :/ HELP!!

"I will" .. we don't have a "will" .. we add -um to the verb to convey that. "Njan vaayikkum" .. I will read.

"I walk" .. Njan nadakkuka aanu .. or to imply you regularly walk .. you say "Njan nadakkar undu"

"I eat" Njan kazhikkuka aanu ... or njan kazhikkarundu

The alphabet? It has 56 letters to describe all the Dravidian and Indo-Aryan sounds. fun.
    I was trying to say, "I am learning Malayali" lol "sikh/sikshya/other forms" = learn in sanskrit

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surbakhunWeesste For This Useful Post:

Amber29 (02-21-2019),  bmoney (12-19-2018),  Jatt1 (02-21-2019)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast