Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1

United States of America India Kingdom of Travancore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandoos View Post
    from rix's thread

yeah, hindus here are few and scattered, or at least not as "clique" as the christian church communities are. I always wondered if that made people like Kart feel more distant lol
    haha no. I had a few Syrian Christian friends when I was in high school. We had an Indian club dominated by us Mallus lol I would say Malayali Christians are more organized because of churches. Hindus do have organizations. They built a new temple in Texas recently.

I don't know if your family makes this but "ellu(bone) kappa" is the bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmoney View Post
    I think its more geographic tbh

I dont think Kart feels particularly distant as there is a lot of cultural familiarity. She knew a lot about your community judging by the Kerala thread

In the west though I get asked over here if Im Mallu by the new gen, I say yes, then they ask what Church I belong to which initially baffled me not knowing about much about Kerala outside my own patch

All the Kerala associations here are from the Cochin/Kottayam/Travancore/Thrissur areas, my family never joined though we keep tight links via 'family gettogethers' back in Malabar every couple of years or meet the few distant family we have here.

Now we have an airport too which makes it much easier, previously it was an 7 hour drive from Bangalore or 6 hours from Calicut now its shortened to a 1 hour flight from Bangers

Do you guys visit much back home or are most of your communities in the West?
    Yep where I lived in Kerala was 50% Christian 50% Hindu so I know a little bit about Syrian Christianity. I also read random articles on wikipedia so I have lots of mostly useless info about Kerala floating around in my brain

I hate that "ethu palleela pokunne" question with a passion Some of them ask that before "molde perentha?". Nowadays I tell them " _____ Ave il ulla Masjid il aanu aunty " That throws them off a little.

I moved to 'Murica in 2004 and visited once in 2011. I'm going next month because my aunt is sick.
    Last edited by Kart; 01-10-2019 at 12:28 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

bmoney (01-24-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

United States of America Dravida Nadu
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart View Post
    haha no. I had a few Syrian Christian friends when I was in high school. We had an Indian club dominated by us Mallus lol I would say Malayali Christians are more organized because of churches. Hindus do have organizations. They built a new temple in Texas recently.

I don't know if your family makes this but "ellu(bone) kappa" is the bomb.

Yep where I lived in Kerala was 50% Christian 50% Hindu so I know a little bit about Syrian Christianity. I also read random articles on wikipedia so I have lots of mostly useless info about Kerala floating around in my brain

I hate that "ethu palleela pokunne" question with a passion Some of them ask that before "molde perentha?". Nowadays I tell them " _____ Ave il ulla Masjid il aanu aunty " That throws them off a little.

I moved to 'Murica in 2004 and visited once in 2011. I'm going next month because my aunt is sick.
    I've never had ellu kappa. we are one of the few that say cheeni instead of kappa :p

Malayali churches are in every corner where I live, but there are plenty of hindus. Just that most of the events or gatherings are religious so Ive never really been acquainted with them. There's been an influx of Muslims as well that manage a radio station nearby. When I was a kid I had no idea malayali muslims existed. lol

Going back really depends on where most of your family is settled. Most of my relatives are in kerala so visits are every 1-2 years. whereas my brother in laws family haven't stepped foot there since '03 since all his grandparents and aunts/uncles are living here.

During my college years i was also in one of those acapella teams dominated by mallus, but ironically we never did covers of malayalam or south Indian songs for that matter. I never understood the infatuation with hindi (not that there's anything wrong with it) esp since most kids here never even grew up learning it.
    Last edited by Mandoos; 01-10-2019 at 01:02 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1

I've never had ellu kappa. we are one of the few that say cheeni instead of kappa :p

Malayali churches are in every corner where I live, but there are plenty of hindus. Just that most of the events or gatherings are religious so Ive never really been acquainted with them. There's been an influx of Muslims as well that manage a radio station nearby. When I was a kid I had no idea malayali muslims existed. lol

Going back really depends on where most of your family is settled. Most of my relatives are in kerala so visits are every 1-2 years. whereas my brother in laws family haven't stepped foot there since '03 since all his grandparents and aunts/uncles are living here.

During my college years i was also in one of those acapella teams dominated by mallus, but ironically we never did covers of malayalam or south Indian songs for that matter. I never understood the infatuation with hindi (not that there's anything wrong with it) esp since most kids here never even grew up learning it.
    Cheeni is sweet potatoes in my area lol

It's so funny how they pick the president for our Malayalee organization here. They alternate between a Hindu and Christian president every 4 years or so instead of picking the most qualified one

My dad's entire family is in the US while my mom's entire family is in Kerala. My mom is scared to travel alone because her English isn't the best. That's why she didn't go all these years.

Hindi has more dance songs so we used those for our events.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

Mandoos (01-10-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Kart
    Hindi has more dance songs so we used those for our events.
    lol tbh I get more crunk with regional rather than Bollywood songs. I feel like Tamils do a better job at supporting our music abroad :p . though I recently went to an event at ut dallas where the group did some cool Tamil- blues covers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mandoos For This Useful Post:

Kart (01-10-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Kerala Syrian Christian
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1b3a1a1
    mtDNA (M)
    M6

These days in Toronto they're building new churches as quickly as some fast food franchises pop up haha.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1

Quote Originally Posted by traject View Post
    These days in Toronto they're building new churches as quickly as some fast food franchises pop up haha.
    the funny thing is, the kids that grew up here are not going to be religious. Those churches and temples are going to be abandoned in a few decades.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y7 > Y2568*
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart View Post
    the funny thing is, the kids that grew up here are not going to be religious. Those churches and temples are going to be abandoned in a few decades.
    That's good, maybe religious buildings can be turned into places that'll actually help.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

bmoney (01-24-2019),  Censored (01-10-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    That's good, maybe religious buildings can be turned into places that'll actually help.
    Yep...21st century is a little too late to be building new churches and temples.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

Censored (01-10-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-10-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    south asian
    Nationality
    indian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-M198
    mtDNA (M)
    U1

India
    here are some more Kannur dialect nuggets-

instead of EVIDE- which means- where?- ODUTHU- ?

Gold Class Member
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by vishankar View Post
    here are some more Kannur dialect nuggets-

instead of EVIDE- which means- where?- ODUTHU- ?
    and my favorite... o pinne!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast