British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    BTW, the match I'm talking about here will represent a major breakthrough for me on my y-chromosome line, if he is a close enough y-dna match. I believe he will be.

Hope FTDNA gets his Y-111 out early (and accurately). Today would be nice, but the results are predicted for sometime from 21 January - 04 February 2019.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

fostert (12-21-2018),  JFWinstone (12-21-2018),  JMcB (12-21-2018),  JonikW (12-21-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2f

Ireland
    My mum and I have a match on Family Finder who I share 54 cM with (17 cM on GEDmatch) while my mum shares 45 cM (18.8 cM on GEDmatch). We don't match at all on Ancestry. I don't know where the connection is. I have no known matches on the line I think we're connected on so it's not a case that it's an oddly prolific line. It's odd that Family Finder say that I share more DNA with the match than my mum and that it's much higher than GEDmatch. He's also my dad's closest Big Y match but he doesn't match my dad autosomally at all so I couldn't have inherited the extra DNA from him. My dad's aunt does match him though. Although Ancestry are underestimating the connection, FTDNA seem to be overestimating it.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-21-2018),  JonikW (12-21-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-21-2018),  rms2 (12-22-2018)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by JonikW View Post
    I wouldn't write off Ancestry though. I did it recently after completing the other big vendors first, and it's provided some of my best matches. I've even found a second cousin once removed who is about to mail me letters from my grandfather and information on distant lines that I didn't know existed. I think the size of their database makes it well worth the price of the test.
    This is the same for me -- I have far more matches on Ancestry, and sheer number has allowed me to identify a huge number of them (since it's easy to peg what grandparent they are associated with and then figure out from there). That many more people on Ancestry have trees attached makes it easier too -- I don't trust their trees but usually it's possible to get enough information to trace them back myself if necessary.

Since the number of close matches (2nd cousin or closer) on MH, 23andMe, and FTDNA is less, it's harder to identify how they are connected, especially when they lack trees or good identifying information.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-21-2018),  JFWinstone (12-21-2018),  JMcB (12-21-2018),  JonikW (12-21-2018),  MacUalraig (12-21-2018),  rms2 (12-21-2018),  Wing Genealogist (12-21-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

United States of America Canada
    I wouldn't write off Ancestry though. I did it recently after completing the other big vendors first, and it's provided some of my best matches. I've even found a second cousin once removed who is about to mail me letters from my grandfather and information on distant lines that I didn't know existed. I think the size of their database makes it well worth the price of the test.
    Point taken. I have considered taking the AncestryDNA test because so many people have taken it. I hate to reward the company for its arrogance, though.

If you are looking for recent ancestors, testing with AncestryDNA may well help you. I am interested in more distant matching myself, and AncestryDNA's results are confused in that regards.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

JonikW (12-21-2018),  rms2 (12-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China
    We also have a Malagasy match who shows on Myheritage, 23andme and FTDNA but he didn't show up on Ancestry
    3/4 European, 1/4 Mauritian Creole. Genealogy enthusiast and Wow nerd.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

JonikW (12-21-2018),  rms2 (12-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    This is the same for me -- I have far more matches on Ancestry, and sheer number has allowed me to identify a huge number of them (since it's easy to peg what grandparent they are associated with and then figure out from there). That many more people on Ancestry have trees attached makes it easier too -- I don't trust their trees but usually it's possible to get enough information to trace them back myself if necessary.

Since the number of close matches (2nd cousin or closer) on MH, 23andMe, and FTDNA is less, it's harder to identify how they are connected, especially when they lack trees or good identifying information.
    I like that, even when my Ancestry matches don't have trees or their trees don't go much further than their immediate family, and their username bears no relation to their real name, there's still the list of shared matches that I can cross-reference to at least determine which branch of my family they're likely connected to. And the shared match list is auto-generated without me having to take extra steps to see who else they match to.
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 12-21-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-21-2018),  fostert (12-21-2018),  JFWinstone (12-21-2018),  JMcB (12-21-2018),  JonikW (12-21-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-22-2018),  rms2 (12-22-2018),  Wing Genealogist (12-21-2018)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    I definitely agree with this point. There are quite a few things about Ancestry that I find irritating, including the lack of a chromosome browser; but overall I've still gotten a lot of value from testing.

Their database size is obviously an important component in this, and I've frankly been pretty fortunate in some of my relatives who have tested. Some of the closest -- such as my daughter and the daughters of two of my sisters -- are not as helpful when it comes to shared relatives, since we're related on both sides.

However, I also have a 1st cousin, seven "2nd cousins", and twenty-six "3rd cousins". I put quote marks around the last two groups because not all of these relationships are as advertised, although the "1st cousin" actually is just that.

Six of the "2nd cousins" are in fact 1st cousins once removed. Five of them are all on the same side as my 1st cousin, which is my father's side. The other 1st cousin once removed is on my mother's side, as in the actual 2nd cousin.

At least one of the "3rd cousins" is actual a 2nd cousin once removed. In fact, he's the son of my one actual 2nd cousin in the list. Two or three (or more) of the other "3rd cousins" are actually half 2nd cousins, and even a few of the highest-sharing "4th cousins" are half 2nd cousins.

But what all of this means is that I'm often able to determine which parent or grandparent shared matches are most likely to be related through. In many cases, I can even predict which great grandparent we're connected through.

Then there are features like DNA Circles. I'm a member of twenty-five of them. These range in size from circles of only 9-16 members, in which every member of the circle has a "membership confidence" of "emerging", to circles with dozens of members and a "confidence" of "good" or "strong". I am even part of one circle that has over 400 members.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (12-22-2018),  rms2 (12-22-2018),  Wing Genealogist (12-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    Then there are features like DNA Circles. I'm a member of twenty-five of them. These range in size from circles of only 9-16 members, in which every member of the circle has a "membership confidence" of "emerging", to circles with dozens of members and a "confidence" of "good" or "strong". I am even part of one circle that has over 400 members.
    And you can use the "View Relationship" feature to identify matches where the MRCA on that line is the ancestor the circle is named for. Which, if it's an ancestor that's fairly far back, can be a pretty useful cross-reference on the list of shared matches when you're trying to pin down which branch of your family an anonymous match with no tree connects to... at least, if you're not related to the match from the DNA circle on multiple lines.

I've found a number of DNA matches in my DNA Circles where, unless we're related on more lines than I'm aware of, the MRCA is a 4th- or even 5th-great-grandparent on my tree.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (12-22-2018),  rms2 (12-22-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    T1a1

I just came across a DNA match where Ancestry reports that he and I share 27.6 cM across 2 segments, and predicts us to be 4th-6th cousins... but then reports him as sharing only 15.9 cM across 2 segments with my mom, predicting them to be 5th-8th cousins; and he doesn't share anything with my dad.

But I've managed to identify this match on my family tree as a 3rd cousin once removed on Mom's side of the family.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (12-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-FGC24357
    mtDNA
    H5

United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by PoxVoldius View Post
    I just came across a DNA match where Ancestry reports that he and I share 27.6 cM across 2 segments, and predicts us to be 4th-6th cousins... but then reports him as sharing only 15.9 cM across 2 segments with my mom, predicting them to be 5th-8th cousins; and he doesn't share anything with my dad.

But I've managed to identify this match on my family tree as a 3rd cousin once removed on Mom's side of the family.
    Is the match's kit on GEDmatch? If you look at the comparison between the match's kit and you dad's in the area of your matching segments using full resolution, I bet you will see how your match grew bigger than your Mom's.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to C J Wyatt III For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (12-26-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast