Thread: Zero Ashkenazi Jewish DNA yet Hundreds of 100 Percent Ashkenazi Jewish Matches.

Sex
    Intersex

Zero Ashkenazi Jewish DNA yet Hundreds of 100 Percent Ashkenazi Jewish Matches.

Hello and thank you in advance for any help.

I've known a family legend that we have jewish roots. So I did 23andme test and now left wondering. How is it possible that I get 0 percent ashkenazi and yet have hundreds of matches who are 100 percent ashkenazi? I requested to share results with about ten of those matches to see if may be their non ashkenazi bits I match - but no! And we all match on same segments of my 2nd, 6th and 16th chromosome where to me it assigned as broadly european and to them as ashkenazi jewish. Any ideas? Thank you all in advance.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solomon.vodnik For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (12-26-2018),  Power77 (12-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican Italy 1861-1946
    You did 23andme?

Please upload your DNA to gedmatch. Never heard of such a case.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    India Andhra Kamma Telugu
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    HM82 Z5888+CTS8144+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a

United States of America India
    I have close to 0 Ashkenazi Jewish in Jtest but some Jewish matches popup in GED match with > 10cM matches. However on Nmonte the Ashkenazi amount increases based on other populations.
    Y: H-M69 -> H-M82 -> SK1225 -> H-Z5888 -> H-Z5890 -> H-CTS8144 [CTS8144/PF1741/M5498] -> Z34531 (H1a1a4b3b1a8~)
    mtDNA: U2a1a
    extras (309.1C) (315.1C) 11368C 16093A

G25 Ancients Dist 0.99 Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3:S8728.E1.L1 65.2 Saidu_Sharif_IA_o:S7722.E1.L1 17.8 Udegram_IA:I1985 7.8 Jordanian:S_Jordanian-1 4.4 Barikot_IA:I6545 2.2 Scotland_N:I26602 Narva_Lithuania: Donkalnis6

mtDNA mutation 309.1C 315.1C 522.1A 522.2C G8572A G8860A T11368C T16093a T16154C C16519T
    C195T

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tipirneni For This Useful Post:

Power77 (12-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romaniote & Ashkenazi

Quote Originally Posted by solomon.vodnik View Post

I've known a family legend that we have jewish roots. So I did 23andme test and now left wondering. How is it possible that I get 0 percent ashkenazi and yet have hundreds of matches who are 100 percent ashkenazi? I requested to share results with about ten of those matches to see if may be their non ashkenazi bits I match - but no! And we all match on same segments of my 2nd, 6th and 16th chromosome where to me it assigned as broadly european and to them as ashkenazi jewish. Any ideas? Thank you all in advance.
    what is your ethnicity? Im wondering if the jewish roots you have are sephardic or perhaps some other non askenazi jewish group and the the dna would be similar enough to ashkenazi to match yet different enough that 23 and me wouldnt call it ashkenazi?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SlytherclawRavenpuff For This Useful Post:

solomon.vodnik (12-28-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex

That's impossible. Your DNA obviously got mixed up in the lab.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Seems weird but it's possible to be small % Ashkenazi and have lots of matches due to endogamy among Ashkenazi Jews. Question is what your results actually are (there are some possible mix ups with Ashkenazi). And yes, Gedmatch calculators would also be useful for comparison.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

solomon.vodnik (12-28-2018)

Sex
    Intersex

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nino90 View Post
    You did 23andme?

Please upload your DNA to gedmatch. Never heard of such a case.
    Thank you, yes I did 23 and me. Gedmatch upload is pending. I will post results as soon as.

Quote Originally Posted by tipirneni View Post
    I have close to 0 Ashkenazi Jewish in Jtest but some Jewish matches popup in GED match with > 10cM matches. However on Nmonte the Ashkenazi amount increases based on other populations.
    Thank you, I have to work on Nmonte.

Quote Originally Posted by SlytherclawRavenpuff View Post
    what is your ethnicity? Im wondering if the jewish roots you have are sephardic or perhaps some other non askenazi jewish group and the the dna would be similar enough to ashkenazi to match yet different enough that 23 and me wouldnt call it ashkenazi?
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Seems weird but it's possible to be small % Ashkenazi and have lots of matches due to endogamy among Ashkenazi Jews. Question is what your results actually are (there are some possible mix ups with Ashkenazi). And yes, Gedmatch calculators would also be useful for comparison.
    Thank you, my known ethnicity is three quaters russian/ukrainian and one quater armenian. Attached see my results and one of my ashkenazi matches and where we match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA
    R0a4

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    I guess I know the answer.
    I've heart about the 23andme algorithm, that it is made to be conservative. In case if there is a short DNA segment that is recognized to be of one reference group (or several short DNA segments of various reference groups), that is surrounded by much longer DNA segments recognized to be DNA of another group, the algorithm assigns the segment as "broadly of some region".
    Actually 23andme recognizes the segments as Ashkenazi Jewish, but as far as the segments are short enough they were labeled as "broadly european". It is funny that those segments are altogether long enough to make a match with a relative.
    I guess there was some ashkenazi Jewish in your ancestors, but 4-5 generations ago.

P.S. I myself just about 40% ashkenazi Jew, 60% different Slavic groups. Almost all relatives found by 23andme are ashkenazi Jewish (don't even remember any non-ahkenazi match).
    Last edited by artemv; 12-29-2018 at 12:08 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

solomon.vodnik (12-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

There is a possibility these are false positives. It is also possible you have Mediterranean or central European ancestry which is correlating closely to Jewish ancestry type combinations and the algo is matching you approximately to these individuals

15. The Following User Says Thank You to johnthe For This Useful Post:

solomon.vodnik (01-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    95% Ashkenaz,5% Sephardic
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    J2a
    mtDNA
    J1c

Quote Originally Posted by solomon.vodnik View Post

Suppose that one of your ancestors converted to Judaism centuries ago. This would produce your pattern of matches. Other possibilities have been mentioned on this thread. I doubt if there was an error. Your pattern is not unique.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to josh w. For This Useful Post:

solomon.vodnik (01-23-2019)