Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106
    mtDNA
    I4a

United States of America Ireland France Italy Ukraine England

Ancestry new calculator not good

Ancestry really seems to be going "cookie cutter" these days. Just horrible. I have tested with all 3 companies and 23andme and FTDNA results are similar. Ancestry USE to be similar to 23andme and FTDNA but now it rather sucks. What do they have besides a generic calculator? Nothing...they don't have near the tools as 23andme and FTDNA. The word "cheap" comes to mind.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeep For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (12-31-2018),  rms2 (12-29-2018),  tomz (01-06-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

How is it different? My Ancestry and 23andMe are very similar (I would prefer 23andMe for ancestral background, but Ancestry is unmatched for me for actual matches and therefore confirming paper research). My FTDNA is weird and wrong (but excellent for the YDNA and mtDNA results, for projects, and for some additional matches not on Ancestry, including more non USA ones).

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JMcB (12-27-2018),  JonikW (12-27-2018),  Robert1 (12-27-2018),  Torc Seanathair (02-04-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U106
    mtDNA
    I4a

United States of America Ireland France Italy Ukraine England
    My matches are good as I have close cousins on both sides tested on each one and same cousins. But that is it. Ancestry has my tree, and DNA circles, but that is it.

1. Ancestry admixture calculators are just wrong. In past result they had Iberian, Italian, African, and vast more Irish which was correct. FTDNA has me as British with some African and Native American and 23andme has the same results as British, French, Spanish, Italian, African and Native American

2. Ancestry does not match segments. So unlike 23andme and FTDNA you can not see where you match on the chromosomes. 23andme, FTDNA, Gedmatch and Myheritage all have that function. 23andme also like Gedmatch has ancestry chromosome painting. For instance at Gedmatch yesterday on one segment which was African I used "people who match both" then matched a whopping 17 people to that same segment on multiple use tool. Ancestry can't do that! I did it to prove Ancestry is actually regressing in it's admixture calculations compared to the other two and Gedmatch.

3. I would only tell people to use Ancestry for the raw data then download the data to Gedmatch. The site tools are just horrible and need to be given "more love" if you will. As much money as Ancestry makes they should invest more in their product. It is like Ancestry is just a "cookie cutter" calculator for the uneducated general public on DNA testing

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeep For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (12-31-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-27-2018),  tomz (01-06-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I do agree that it's annoying that Ancestry will not provide a chromosome browser. I think they claim there's some privacy concern, but it seems bogus to me.

Ancestry's recent update was an improvement for me (it got rid of the Iberian my sister and I both had, my sister more than me, that was wrong, for example, and now has a better estimate of my Scandinavian (pegged correctly as Swedish) and English than before. My Irish/Scottish looks right if it also includes my Welsh (it's essentially unchanged from what it was before, went up a percentage point or two). However, my understanding is the update was bad for a number of people, including many who had a percentage of Italian but not a majority -- the Italian ended up disappearing or getting vastly underestimated.

The number of matches at Ancestry means that I can peg the line most matches are on very easily, so it's much better for me to work with in identifying matches and confirming ancestors (that more people have trees, even if they are bad trees, is also helpful, as usually there is enough information to check their trees myself).

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (12-27-2018),  fostert (12-27-2018),  JMcB (12-27-2018),  PoxVoldius (12-27-2018),  Webb (12-27-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    1. Ancestry admixture calculators are just wrong. In past result they had Iberian, Italian, African, and vast more Irish which was correct. FTDNA has me as British with some African and Native American and 23andme has the same results as British, French, Spanish, Italian, African and Native American
    Actually I consider Ancestry's statistical algorithms to be the most advanced, and right now, their reference population (16,000+ people) is the largest and can't be beat. To come to this conclusion I have deeply read each company's whitepapers detailing their algorithm and construction of reference populations. They don't quote sub-percentage values like 23andme does (e.g. 0.3% == ridiculous!) and they do seem to be much more accurate than they used to in general - e.g. most of those annoying "low confidence regions" have disappeared, primarily because they are now doing what 23andme has been doing for a long time: using segments instead of going SNP-by-SNP to estimate ethnicity with. Finally, their "Genetic Communities" are surprisingly accurate - if you appear in a certain GC that you can't explain given you're knowledge of your family tree, you'd best begin exploring, because its probably right.

That said they still are far from perfect. They annoyingly mis-identify French/German, British, and Scandinavian as one of the other. Their african reference population (the most genetically diverse population in the world) is sub-par. They annoyingly focus on south american Native American ancestry too much, paying less attention to US native diversity and essentially no attention at all to Canadian indian and inuit diversity.
    2. Ancestry does not match segments...
    Yes, they do match segments, but their algorithms to eliminate IBS segments strip out too much actual matching DNA, thereby making it seem your matches are further away than they are. But their database is by far the largest and, maybe next to myheritage, they have the most active genealogical community of DNA testers. But I agree their serious downfall is their lack of a chromosome browser to see which segments you match on. This comes from their paranoia around privacy and security, which is weird considering they just recently started to show you maps of your matches' current locations!

Ancestry could simply DOMINATE the genetic genealogy market if they had a chromosome browser, but they will not budge on this. Good thing for 23andme, who right now are trying to shed their horrible (and deserved) reputation as the most useless DNA test for genealogists (no support for trees, 95% of your matches cna't be contacted or won't respond).

3. I would only tell people to use Ancestry for the raw data then download the data to Gedmatch. The site tools are just horrible and need to be given "more love" if you will. As much money as Ancestry makes they should invest more in their product. It is like Ancestry is just a "cookie cutter" calculator for the uneducated general public on DNA testing
    I don't like the direction Ancestry is going either, TBH. In 2016 they started testing less than half the number of genealogically-relevant SNPs than they used to, so they could test more medical ones and sell that data to big-pharma. I guess they smelled $ and made a decision to start giving the customer half of what they used to get in terms of DNA coverage. So downloading your data from them to put onto GEDMATCH or elsewhere, while useful, is still giving you only 1/2 of what you used to get (300,000 SNPs versus 600,000+ SNPs prior to May 2016). But if you're an adoptee looking for bio-family, Ancestry is the prime place to test, because of their database.

Just some of my random thots.
    Mum = 50% Irish, 25% Ukrainian, 25% Romanian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (12-30-2018),  deku27 (12-28-2018),  FionnSneachta (12-28-2018),  JonikW (12-29-2018),  msmarjoribanks (12-27-2018),  PoxVoldius (12-27-2018),  sktibo (12-29-2018),  tomz (01-06-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

" It is like Ancestry is just a "cookie cutter" calculator for the uneducated general public on DNA testing "

I think that is one reason they do not do chromosome painting ... because it likely would generate more help
    requests. They bank on not getting as many nasty notes demanding that they get the painting as nasty notes
    asking for explanation. They are for dummies.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dtvmcdonald For This Useful Post:

fostert (12-29-2018),  JerryS. (12-31-2018),  rms2 (12-29-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English & Greek
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    J2-L397
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

Italy Hungary Poland
    The AncestryDNA update was very accurate for me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LTG For This Useful Post:

fostert (12-29-2018),  Scarlet Ibis (12-30-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

I found the Ancestry update to be very accurate. That said, it's clear they use data from members of your family tree to link to certain areas and migrations. For my Irish ancestry the update displayed areas in Ireland which I had seen on people within relatives linked to me.
    If I might add, for my wife (who had far fewer matches than I), there was no such update. I like their accuracy for West European data but other regions- not so much. I am puzzled as to why with their large customer base they still cannot find accurate answers for areas like the Pacific Islands, Central Asian countries, and even many of the Eastern Euro countries are way way off.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnthe For This Useful Post:

boilermeschew827 (12-31-2018),  JonikW (12-29-2018),  Scarlet Ibis (12-30-2018),  slievenamon (12-31-2018)

FTDNA has always been my least favorite of the DNA tests. I remember when I ordered it, came in some cheap envelope like someone just made it in their garage. Got my results within a week and was disappointed. Not many matches on there either, most of my relatives are either on Ancestry or 23andme. So basically $80 wasted looking back now.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    FTDNA has always been my least favorite of the DNA tests. I remember when I ordered it, came in some cheap envelope like someone just made it in their garage. Got my results within a week and was disappointed. Not many matches on there either, most of my relatives are either on Ancestry or 23andme. So basically $80 wasted looking back now.
    I feel almost exactly the opposite. I like Ancestry, but they use Timber, which tends to reduce and even eliminate matches.

And FTDNA is practically the only game in town for y-chromosome testing.

For me, FTDNA has been a tremendous success.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

fostert (12-30-2018),  JonikW (12-29-2018),  Scarlet Ibis (12-30-2018),  timberwolf (12-29-2018),  tomz (01-06-2019),  Torc Seanathair (02-04-2019)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast