Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: SNP Comparison

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Posts
    28
    Sex
    Location
    Florida, US
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    L176.2, L147.3
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ad

    SNP Comparison

    Although I assume most everyone here gets emails from the DF27 Yahoo Forum, in case not, I noticed that CeCE Moore in her blog posted a SNP comparison chart provided by Britains DNA:

    http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.co...names-for.html

    Mark

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark D For This Useful Post:

     TigerMW (11-21-2013)

  3. #2
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,113
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15743
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

    Couldn't help noticing that Jim Wilson says S250 (i.e. DF27) is unfortunately one of those SNPs "Illumina appear to have removed... from the design."

    I think that's the same problem FTDNA had when designing the Geno2 chip; it's a palindromic marker or something, and has to be scanned twice to know whether the call is + or - (hence the "nested primers" approach when it was Sanger sequenced, which meant that specific test had to be run twice, and therefore cost more).

    I'm vague about the actual science, but these things were discussed a little when the DF27 test became available a bit over a year ago.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to razyn For This Useful Post:

     TigerMW (11-21-2013)

  5. #3
    Junior Member
    Posts
    28
    Sex
    Location
    Florida, US
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    L176.2, L147.3
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ad

    Quote Originally Posted by razyn View Post
    Couldn't help noticing that Jim Wilson says S250 (i.e. DF27) is unfortunately one of those SNPs "Illumina appear to have removed... from the design."

    I think that's the same problem FTDNA had when designing the Geno2 chip; it's a palindromic marker or something, and has to be scanned twice to know whether the call is + or - (hence the "nested primers" approach when it was Sanger sequenced, which meant that specific test had to be run twice, and therefore cost more).

    I'm vague about the actual science, but these things were discussed a little when the DF27 test became available a bit over a year ago.
    Is that why FTDNA doesn't report DF27, because they don't test it? I would think the DF27 project would have more members if FTDNA didn't skip over it on the results page.

  6. #4
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,113
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27, FGC15743
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f3

    I think it's more a matter of their haplotree's not having been updated since the end of 2010. DF27 was discovered in the fall of 2011, so it's invisible -- as are a few hundred other recent discoveries, both on and off the ISOGG tree for their respective groups.

  7. #5
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,344
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

    England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Is that why FTDNA doesn't report DF27, because they don't test it? I would think the DF27 project would have more members if FTDNA didn't skip over it on the results page.
    Perhaps you're referring to Geno 2 results? They did not include DF27 in that test. So obviously Geno 2 results, when posted on FTDNA make no mention of DF27.

    FTDNA most certainly does test for DF27, though it has to be ordered individually, and that company is responsible for nearly all of the DF27 that has been identified.
    Last edited by GoldenHind; 01-06-2014 at 01:15 AM.

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    288
    Sex
    Location
    U.S.A
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Mutt
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Y7
    mtDNA (M)
    Q2a

    United States of America Tonga Fiji Pakistan Afghanistan India
    So what's the difference between this test, the Big Y from ftDNA?

  9. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,244
    Sex
    Location
    Amsterdam, Dublin
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21-DF21-S5456
    mtDNA (M)
    H1C1

    Ireland European Union
    I understand that the recent Genographic project in Asturias found mainly R1b-DF27 in the same way as the Mayo project found mainly R1b-L21 and specifically M222. Apparently up to 32 new SNPs were found under M222. Hopefully we will reap a similar harvest under DF27. I don't know if they used the Geno 2.0 chip or a prototype 3.0 NGS chip. They have not yet published a technical paper. I analysed my Geno 2.0 results using the Morley draft tree and got the following results. It would be interesting to do something similar for a Geno 2.0 DF27 result.

    http://www.pinterest.com/gerardcorcoran/genographic/
    Last edited by Heber; 01-06-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    Gerard Corcoran
    R1b-DF21-S5456-S6166, H1C1

  10. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,244
    Sex
    Location
    Amsterdam, Dublin
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L21-DF21-S5456
    mtDNA (M)
    H1C1

    Ireland European Union
    Last edited by Heber; 01-06-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    Gerard Corcoran
    R1b-DF21-S5456-S6166, H1C1

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Posts
    28
    Sex
    Location
    Florida, US
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    L176.2, L147.3
    mtDNA (M)
    H1ad

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenHind View Post
    Perhaps you're referring to Geno 2 results? They did not include DF27 in that test. So obviously Geno 2 results, when posted on FTDNA make no mention of DF27.

    FTDNA most certainly does test for DF27, though it has to be ordered individually, and that company is responsible for nearly all of the DF27 that has been identified.
    Thanks for both your and razyn's responses. ie., FTDNA tests DF27 individually but does not show it on their haplotree. I had joined the DF27 project assuming that as I was L176.2+ I was clearly DF27+, without having specifically tested for it. I also see that Geno 2.0 does not show any DF nor S results, and I look forward to my Big Y results showing hundreds more SNPs and FTDNA updating their tree. I understand this is a massive work in progress and do appreciate everyone's assistance in this.

    I hope one day the powers that be in this field can sort out the nomenclature of SNPs so that we non-professional consumers of DNA testing products can understand more clearly what it all means.

  12. #10
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,344
    Sex
    Location
    California
    Ethnicity
    British-Scandinavian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF99
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a

    England Denmark Wales Scotland Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    I understand that the recent Genographic project in Asturias found mainly R1b-DF27 in the same way as the Mayo project found mainly R1b-L21 and specifically M222. Apparently up to 32 new SNPs were found under M222. Hopefully we will reap a similar harvest under DF27. I don't know if they used the Geno 2.0 chip or a prototype 3.0 NGS chip. They have not yet published a technical paper. I analysed my Geno 2.0 results using the Morley draft tree and got the following results. It would be interesting to do something similar for a Geno 2.0 DF27 result.

    http://www.pinterest.com/gerardcorcoran/genographic/
    If they tested for DF27, they did not use the Geno 2.0 chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Sibling comparison
    By msmarjoribanks in forum Open-Source Projects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2018, 06:19 PM
  2. DNA Comparison tool
    By Lupus82 in forum 23andMe
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2018, 12:45 AM
  3. LivingDNA and Ancestry comparison
    By JGG in forum Living DNA
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2017, 02:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-20-2017, 04:24 AM
  5. DNA One-To-One Comparison Results
    By Bolverkia in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •