Thread: South Asian genetics misconceptions

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1/R-L295
    mtDNA (M)
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    But it makes sense though. Indians are very very culturally different from Europeans and others who derive from steppe culture. They are mostly peaceful aside from a few martial clans(who themselves tend to have high steppe admixture-not implying there is a correlation) while I imagined these steppe nomads to have been quite warlike. It makes perfect sense that they lost their culture over time with the proof of their entrance into the region being largely genetic(R1a1) and linguistic(Indo-Aryan languages).
    Also genetically most South Asians have a majority of non-steppe (Sintashta) adna, the vast majority are under 20%

You'd think that dna dilution and cultural merge with pre-existing pops would lead to some form of cultural change since Sintashta, particularly the transition to urban life

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Many Punjabis believe themselves to be part Persian.
    There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out-Russian proverb

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

solarius (12-10-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Indian

Uzbekistan India Uzbekistan
    endogamy and ganga maiyya

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin (mixed)
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-1A (Z-93)
    mtDNA (M)
    M-30

Wtf? Where have you heard this? I've interacted pretty extensively with Punjabis in the states and India and this perception has not come off IMO. Some consider themselves "close" to pakistani, or at least feel an affinity to pak punjab, which is very fair.

But I haven't heard the persian thing before.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 26284729292 For This Useful Post:

solarius (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali Brahmin
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L295
    mtDNA (M)
    T2f

United States of America Bangladesh India United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by 26284729292 View Post
    Wtf? Where have you heard this? I've interacted pretty extensively with Punjabis in the states and India and this perception has not come off IMO. Some consider themselves "close" to pakistani, or at least feel an affinity to pak punjab, which is very fair.

I’ve heard Pashtun a couple of times from Punjabis but not Persian. I won’t claim this is accurate in India or even in most of the states, but I have definitely heard this in the state I’m in.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Brahmin (mixed)
    Nationality
    Indian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-1A (Z-93)
    mtDNA (M)
    M-30

Quote Originally Posted by FrostAssassin0701 View Post
    I’ve heard Pashtun a couple of times from Punjabis but not Persian. I won’t claim this is accurate in India or even in most of the states, but I have definitely heard this in the state I’m in.
    But it's not even inaccurate sometimes. Like Khatris are roughly a cousin pop to pak pashtuns/kohistanis.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 26284729292 For This Useful Post:

agent_lime (12-11-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan

Quote Originally Posted by 26284729292 View Post

Not sure how common it is IRL since I don't know many but I see it quite often on the internet. Hindus and Sikhs claiming to be part Persian or Greek because "Persians and Greeks" once conquered Punjab or something...I've heard it too many times.
    There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out-Russian proverb

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Indian

Uzbekistan India Uzbekistan
    Not sure how common it is IRL since I don't know many but I see it quite often on the internet. Hindus and Sikhs claiming to be part Persian or Greek because "Persians and Greeks" once conquered Punjab or something...I've heard it too many times.
    The Greek thing is a misconception IRL as well I think. But I don't know if Punjabis themselves believe it or whether it is widespread. I remember my mum telling me about their 'Greek origins'.

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    I have yet to encounter one who thinks so , thats a very sweeping statement for 120-130 million people. Aryans or some offshoot groups are usually the groups claimed by some groups and well it is true , a significant portion of their ancestry is derived from them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I have yet to encounter one who thinks so , thats a very sweeping statement for 120-130 million people. Aryans or some offshoot groups are usually the groups claimed by some groups and well it is true , a significant portion of their ancestry is derived from them.
    Yes but there is a lot of confusion between what "Aryans" are and to be fair it's difficult to define, there is a world of difference between the Indo-Aryan Kalash vs. the Petrovka culture(proto Indo-Aryan). Some people think Aryans came from Iran and hence north Indians have "Persian" ancestry.

Also it's not a sweeping statement, I didn't say ALL of them believe that but rather that a fair number do especially among the less informed younger generation growing up in the west and those on the internet. I brought this up a while ago and DMXX confirmed it by mentioning he knew of at least 4-5 Hindu Indians(Punjabi I think) who claimed to have Persian ancestors.
    Last edited by Censored; 12-11-2019 at 03:39 AM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast