Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: South Asian genetics misconceptions

Registered Users

Afghanistan Jammu and Kashmir United States of America Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    Yes but there is a lot of confusion between what "Aryans" are and to be fair it's difficult to define, there is a world of difference between the Indo-Aryan Kalash vs. the Petrovka culture(proto Indo-Aryan). Some people think Aryans came from Iran and hence north Indians have "Persian" ancestry.

Also it's not a sweeping statement, I didn't say ALL of them believe that but rather that a fair number do especially among the less informed younger generation growing up in the west and those on the internet. I brought this up a while ago and DMXX confirmed it by mentioning he knew of at least 4-5 Hindu Indians(Punjabi I think) who claimed to have Persian ancestors.
    True, but essentially a population on the Kazakh Steppe , hence why I said their offshoots. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks they came from Iran , esp now , one could entertain that in 2013-14 but once that Allentoft paper dropped in 2015, no way. I guess your conflating your experiences on other sites or boards but there are plenty of Punjabi members on AG and its consistent with my experiences irl, which pretty much mirror 262's.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasus For This Useful Post:

26284729292 (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Indian

Uzbekistan India Uzbekistan
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostAssassin0701 View Post
    I’ve heard Pashtun a couple of times from Punjabis but not Persian. I won’t claim this is accurate in India or even in most of the states, but I have definitely heard this in the state I’m in.
    In most of India at least, I don't think people even know what "Pashtun" or "Pashto" are. They have some vague concept of "Pathan" but that's about it. All this stuff must be a recent(internet era) phenomenon.

Indians are generally unaware and indifferent to the world around them. I know people who unironically think(thought) stuff like the British having borrowed into English words like mother, brother etc from Hindi or Sanskrit - because they sound similar in these languages. In a casual conversation I recently introduced the idea to someone(from Northern India) that the languages spoken in Southern India may be fundamentally different to those in other parts, and this may be as a result of differences in origin(of people). Their response was that they had never thought of that despite it seeming so obvious.

On anthroboards, people have the impression that our national pastime is sitting around and talking about the people to our North/West, marveling at their appearances, but that could not be further from the truth. I don't think most Indians even acknowledge the existence of West Asia(other than the Arabian peninsula).
    Last edited by client; 12-11-2019 at 04:51 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to client For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (12-11-2019),  Kulin (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    Quote Originally Posted by client View Post
    The Greek thing is a misconception IRL as well I think. But I don't know if Punjabis themselves believe it or whether it is widespread. I remember my mum telling me about their 'Greek origins'.
    Some of my North Indian friends used to think Punjabis are a product of mixing with the Greeks and the Persians. So some people do mistakenly think it.

On anthroboards, people have the impression that our national pastime is sitting around and talking about the people to our North/West, marveling at their appearances, but that could not be further from the truth. I don't think most Indians even acknowledge the existence of West Asia(other than the Arabian peninsula).
    It isn't. However, look at the actors Bollywood, and Mumbai soap opera cinema trots out. I also mentioned on the now locked face thread that we had failed Delhi Punjabi beauty aspirants going down to Southern States to try to get into Miss India (and winning every now and then). So while you are right, there is definitely some kind of attraction towards using local males and "exotic" females.
    Last edited by agent_lime; 12-11-2019 at 07:45 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir
    @agentlime my point is that while there may be a preference for an abstract phenotypic ideal, that happens to resemble(debatable) West Asians, (many) Indians are entirely unaware of what Pashtuns or Persians are and how they look.
    Most people have more pressing issues in life in India than to wake up in the morning just to think about West Asians.

So while Indians may covet a certain "exotic" appearance (debatable) they definitely do not covet Pashtun-ness/Persian-ness as they have yet to ascribe said "exotic" appearances to Pashtuns or Persians.
    Large majority of Indians have never met one Persian or Pashtun. Larger North Indian cities do have some Pashtuns so they are still familiar occasionally. But I generally agree.

Those Delhi Punjabi beauty aspirants are Indian, and aren't of much relevance here.
    Maybe this longing towards being Pashtun/Persian/whatever manifests itself when Indians arrive in the west and are exposed to people possessing their ideal(debatable) phenotypes.
    I suspect this to be a thing among Indian groups that sporadically resemble the aforementioned (i.e. Northwestern Indians).
    Indian with Northern Indus/ Sindhi/ NW Indian genetics. They only represent less than 5% of Indians at most. A lot of expat Indians want to be exotic, NW included.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

client (12-11-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan

Siberian Tatars Tajikistan
    Quote Originally Posted by agent_lime View Post
    A lot of expat Indians want to be exotic, NW included.
    It is complicated...Indians from all over the country want to be exotic but only some claim to be and that tends to be Punjabis/north Indians.

For example that stereotypical Indian looking Tamil woman I posted who thought she was ambiguous looking(and people on that board fed into her delusions since they love exotifying females).

But when it comes to Punjabis it's something that goes beyond appearance but a flawed understanding of history, culture, and genetics. People literally think they are part Persian or Greek.
    There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out-Russian proverb

Gold Class Member

The Greek thing is a misconception IRL as well I think. But I don't know if Punjabis themselves believe it or whether it is widespread. I remember my mum telling me about their 'Greek origins'.
    I have heard that too - from SW coastal brahmans.
    Utterly bunk as far as internal evidence from the name goes. If someone had claimed that their ancestors had some Yon ancestry, that could be believable, but Greek absolutely not (unless it is very recent).

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasar For This Useful Post:

client (12-11-2019),  FrostAssassin0701 (12-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani - Chakwal
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2-FGC61415
    mtDNA (M)
    W1c
    Y-DNA (M)
    R2-FGC61415 LOL
    mtDNA (P)
    M5a2a1a1

Pakistan United Kingdom
    genuine question: (not attacking because its what i always see on here lol)...What if people have greek/southern italian DNA matches wouldnt that confirm things even further if someone did have that ancestry? unless ofcourse you guys are talking in recents terms then no lol....

but if what im saying is irrelevant i apologise lol

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amber29 For This Useful Post:

client (12-12-2019),  laltota (12-12-2019),  parasar (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan

Quote Originally Posted by Amber29 View Post
    genuine question: (not attacking because its what i always see on here lol)...What if people have greek/southern italian DNA matches wouldnt that confirm things even further if someone did have that ancestry? unless ofcourse you guys are talking in recents terms then no lol....

but if what im saying is irrelevant i apologise lol
    since all of them have steppe it is not indicative of anything
    There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out-Russian proverb

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Censored For This Useful Post:

FrostAssassin0701 (12-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

In most of India at least, I don't think people even know what "Pashtun" or "Pashto" are. They have some vague concept of "Pathan" but that's about it. All this stuff must be a recent(internet era) phenomenon.

Indians are generally unaware and indifferent to the world around them. I know people who unironically think(thought) stuff like the British having borrowed into English words like mother, brother etc from Hindi or Sanskrit - because they sound similar in these languages. In a casual conversation I recently introduced the idea to someone(from Northern India) that the languages spoken in Southern India may be fundamentally different to those in other parts, and this may be as a result of differences in origin(of people). Their response was that they had never thought of that despite it seeming so obvious.

exacatly I doubt people in India even know about what people outside of south asia look, let alone West Asia.
    I think these anthroboards are dominated by diaspora non europeans who live in anglo white dominated countries where non europeans got mapped onto each other time to time by untained eye.
    Also if an indain like a lighter type from his spectrum , than he will see it is part of his spectrum , he will be anaware of its similairities to another type outisde of south asia(also even this similarities is subjective perception)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to passion For This Useful Post:

client (12-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Moluccan

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    True, but essentially a population on the Kazakh Steppe , hence why I said their offshoots. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks they came from Iran , esp now , one could entertain that in 2013-14 but once that Allentoft paper dropped in 2015, no way. I guess your conflating your experiences on other sites or boards but there are plenty of Punjabi members on AG and its consistent with my experiences irl, which pretty much mirror 262's.
    Obviously no one here believes it but there might be some who would say things along these lines if you asked. In general lay people are very ignorant and have the idea that substantial mixing occurred in the last 2,000 years or so when autosomal ancestry everywhere aside from the new world and maybe Central Asia has been largely stable since.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast