Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Maori
    I didn't know about either marker so I thought I'd check mine out out of curiosity. I'm T/T for rs1800414 and A/A for rs3827760. The only East Asian type ancestry I have on 23andMe is 0.1% Siberian. Interesting stuff.
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Russian Federation United Kingdom Finland Germany Ukraine Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    I didn't know about either marker so I thought I'd check mine out out of curiosity. I'm T/T for rs1800414 and A/A for rs3827760. The only East Asian type ancestry I have on 23andMe is 0.1% Siberian. Interesting stuff.
    My understanding is rs1800414 is pretty much a Northern Han Chinese marker.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    My understanding is rs1800414 is pretty much a Northern Han Chinese marker.
    I can't imagine it's as simple as, "derived SNP = highly likely to have Chinese ancestor"? I'm likely to be wrong. Interestingly, I had a discussion with Punt a few years ago about my minor Polynesian, as a few of the calculators show some East Asian when Han Chinese is the reference. He suggested it's possible Han Chinese may have come into my Polynesian side via Taiwan during that time. Unfortunately I no longer have those messages to recall the detail. I don't know how possible that is.
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Mixed (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H

Ukraine
    I agree with the idea that Finnish could mean Siberian.

But I wonder what my Oceanian trace results mean. I get them consistently on FTDNA, Gedmatch and DNA tribes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Geborgenheit For This Useful Post:

Velislav (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Slavic + Thracian
    Nationality
    Bulgarian

Bulgaria European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkymon View Post
    2.65, but also 2 East Asian; in general I agree that GEDmatch shouldn't be taken too seriously.

But if that's backed by commercial tests from companies like 23andme who have a 100% precision and recall rate for East Asian and Siberian ancestry then I suggest keeping an eye on that. Around 2% sounds fair for me after numerous Global25 models, but also as seen on commercial tests.

And for those who don't know how 23andme works, if you get 100% Finnish for example, that doesn't mean that there isn't some Siberian in there. At this point, the Siberian is already included in the Finnish component. If you want to break one from the other, you have to play around with the data, ideally on Global25, as that's the best option right now.
    Where can I run my results on that Global 25 calculator?

About your line regarding the Asiatic percentages that may come from Scythians, I think if it was from them, then most East Europeans would get such percentages. But I suspect more recent influx, from the Medieval times. Even if no such ancestry is known by paper trail, one could assume the possibility of some minor influence from Huns, Avars, Bulgars, Cumans, etc. Considering the fact that those nomadic tribes were heavily mixed, it is quite possible that there are other non-Asiatic components also linked to them, but that's just a thought

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

I can't imagine it's as simple as, "derived SNP = highly likely to have Chinese ancestor"? I'm likely to be wrong. Interestingly, I had a discussion with Punt a few years ago about my minor Polynesian, as a few of the calculators show some East Asian when Han Chinese is the reference. He suggested it's possible Han Chinese may have come into my Polynesian side via Taiwan during that time. Unfortunately I no longer have those messages to recall the detail. I don't know how possible that is.
    We are talking many generations back possibly and we do not know every step our ancestors took. I believe somewhere down the line you and I both have a Han ancestor. I have verified two East Asian SNPs now via my raw data. I also wanted to mention I have several Chinese/Japanese matches and some admixture on a few of the services.
    Last edited by Mixed; 01-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (01-12-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

We are talking many generations back possibly and we do not know every step our ancestors took. I believe somewhere down the line you and I both have a Han ancestor. I have verified two East Asian SNPs now via my raw data. I also wanted to mention I have several Chinese/Japanese matches and some admixture on a few of the services.
    Agreed. I would expect a few thousand years at least. I just had a look at rs1800414 for my mother, father, mother's mother and father, and my sister. My sister is also T/T, everyone else is A/A. I was hoping to see if I could identify a line it might come from. Is it common for siblings to get the same derived SNP, but not parents/grandparents i.e. can it skip generations like this? Are there any other East Asian SNPs that haven't been posted here that I can look at that might offer more clues?

Hidden Content

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Mixed (01-12-2019),  Nibelung (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Agreed. I would expect a few thousand years at least. I just had a look at rs1800414 for my mother, father, mother's mother and father, and my sister. My sister is also T/T, everyone else is A/A. I was hoping to see if I could identify a line it might come from. Is it common for siblings to get the same derived SNP, but not parents/grandparents i.e. can it skip generations like this? Are there any other East Asian SNPs that haven't been posted here that I can look at that might offer more clues?
    I just know of the two aforementioned SNPs. Yes, it/they can certainly skip generations from what I understand. I can't say for certain, though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (01-12-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

I just know of the two aforementioned SNPs. Yes, it/they can certainly skip generations from what I understand. I can't say for certain, though.
    What line of your ancestry do you suspect yours comes from?

Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BalkanKiwi For This Useful Post:

Mixed (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

What line of your ancestry do you suspect yours comes from?
    Per the tests by Davidski I have a lot of Russian/Ukrainian and significant Iranian/Tajik. I guess it could be from the Mongol hordes or just simply from my ancestors utilizing the Silk road network during the age of the Han dynasty and coming into contact with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_dynasty

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast