Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Um... guys??? AA and TT are the same genotype, just read from different directions. Adenine pairs with Thymine. Cytosine pairs with Guanine. If A is the ancestral allele, then the derived one would be G or C.

SNPedia - Orientation
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoxVoldius For This Useful Post:

Dorkymon (01-13-2019),  Mixed (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Russian Federation United Kingdom Finland Germany Ukraine Iran
    These calculators are nice for people who are not very mixed. If you are mixed then even 4 population oracles are pretty worthless. Davidski even explained this to me. So a lot of times I'll find some general information on a SNP and do a raw data search and that is enough for me because even one SNP can be significant.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Velislav View Post
    Where can I run my results on that Global 25 calculator?

About your line regarding the Asiatic percentages that may come from Scythians, I think if it was from them, then most East Europeans would get such percentages. But I suspect more recent influx, from the Medieval times. Even if no such ancestry is known by paper trail, one could assume the possibility of some minor influence from Huns, Avars, Bulgars, Cumans, etc. Considering the fact that those nomadic tribes were heavily mixed, it is quite possible that there are other non-Asiatic components also linked to them, but that's just a thought
    You need to get the coordinates for Global 25 from Davidski and then you will be able to use them on the web nMonte from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    These calculators are nice for people who are not very mixed. If you are mixed then even 4 population oracles are pretty worthless. Davidski even explained this to me. So a lot of times I'll find some general information on a SNP and do a raw data search and that is enough for me because even one SNP can be significant.
    It depends on the extent of mixing.
    For those from Eastern Europe who were affected by medieval steppe migrations, but otherwise trace most of their ancestry from about the same region a model with 2-4 populations can be more than enough for a high level overview.

Last edited by Dorkymon; 01-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    MyHeritage: 92.2% Balkan, 5.8% English, 1.1% Eskimo, 0.9% Japanese
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Global 25: Anatolia_N 50.2%, EHG 32.6%, CHG 11.2%, WHG 3.8%, East Asian 2.2%
    Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

Velislav (01-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by PoxVoldius View Post
    Um... guys??? AA and TT are the same genotype, just read from different directions. Adenine pairs with Thymine. Cytosine pairs with Guanine. If A is the ancestral allele, then the derived one would be G or C.

SNPedia - Orientation
    You are right. I have additionally confirmed that here: https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/...s#strandedness

So A=reversed T and G=reversed C.
    Last edited by Dorkymon; 01-13-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

PoxVoldius (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

[/QUOTE] It depends on the extent of mixing.
    For those from Eastern Europe who were affected by medieval steppe migrations, but otherwise trace most of their ancestry from about the same region a model with 2-4 populations can be more than enough for a high level overview. [/QUOTE]

The same region(Eastern Europe) is still mostly Slavic admixture. In my case it's much different. My people are from almost everywhere.
    Last edited by Mixed; 01-12-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Maori
    I thought I'd put rs1800414 into Promethease to see if the position changes. That gives me A/A now.
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-L260
    mtDNA
    H1

Here is a Han SNP. I have it.

BMPR2 rs6435156 203425475 C or T C / T

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs6435156

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mixed For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (01-13-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Slavic
    Nationality
    New Zealander
    Y-DNA
    DF27
    mtDNA
    V-C72T!

New Zealand Croatia Bosnia and Herzegovina Poland England Maori
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixed View Post
    Here is a Han SNP. I have it.

BMPR2 rs6435156 203425475 C or T C / T

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs6435156
    I couldn't find it when searching on 23andMe, but found it on FTDNA. I have C/C. I assume that's a normal position for Europeans?
    Known ancestry - English, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Croatian, Bosnian, Ashkenazi, Polish and Māori.

Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkymon View Post
    Here's one SNP that you can test. It has a 99% chance to not occur in Europeans, where it will stay at its ancestral position (CC/AA). For East Asians, this SNP is derived (TT/GG).
    I have both variants at TT for example and I get consistent East Asian levels like you do.

What I am referring to is the SNP that causes light skin in East Asians, rs1800414.

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/33/5/1177/2579596
    Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    Agreed. I would expect a few thousand years at least. I just had a look at rs1800414 for my mother, father, mother's mother and father, and my sister. My sister is also T/T, everyone else is A/A. I was hoping to see if I could identify a line it might come from. Is it common for siblings to get the same derived SNP, but not parents/grandparents i.e. can it skip generations like this? Are there any other East Asian SNPs that haven't been posted here that I can look at that might offer more clues?
    Note, I made a mistake in the SNP reading here.

C corresponds to G
    A - T

So, if you are TT then you are ancestral and not derived.

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/...s#strandedness

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanKiwi View Post
    I couldn't find it when searching on 23andMe, but found it on FTDNA. I have C/C. I assume that's a normal position for Europeans?
    Yes, CC is expected in most people, bar Sub-Saharan Africans. So, it might point to some kind of old African rather than East Asian ancestry.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp...i?rs=rs6435156
    Last edited by Dorkymon; 01-13-2019 at 01:53 AM.
    Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

BalkanKiwi (01-13-2019),  Mixed (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    deleted
    Hidden Content

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast