Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think the Scottish are shorter than the English ?

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Well iím basing it on personal experience and the reality of living in Southern England for 4 years.

They are definitely more of an olive skin complexion compared to the pale white Native Irish.

That is a well known fact.

You definitely can make assumptions based on life experience. The Irish donít tan that well and are for the most part, pale white.

You only have to look at the Irish Parliament to see that.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

Cascio (03-30-2019),  Robert1 (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-Y160102

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    Well i’m basing it on personal experience and the reality of living in Southern England for 4 years.

They are definitely more of an olive skin complexion compared to the pale white Native Irish.

You definitely can make assumptions based on life experience. The Irish don’t tan that well and are for the most part, pale white.

Yes, generally speaking Irish people are pale but it's hardly correct to say that 'only those with Irish heritage stay white'. To me, that sort of implies that any Irish person who tans, doesn't have Irish heritage. There is variation between everyone within every community. Colin Farrell would be an example of an Irish person that has a darker complexion and features than what's considered typical. If you look at the MPs in the Parliament of the United Kingdom, unless they're known to have ancestry from somewhere else (such as Leo Varadkar in the case of Ireland), they look pretty pale to me too. This is a bit off topic though. The poster was asking about height differences between Scotland and England. There was no mention of skin colour or Ireland for that matter. The Irish are probably a bit lighter in skin tone than the English overall though.
    Last edited by FionnSneachta; 01-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (UŪ Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e/H-c1d*)
    Maternal ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon (H6a1b2/H6-a5a2a2)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Jessie (01-12-2019),  moesan (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-11-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    100% European
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a1a2a
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27>CTS4065>FG23196

United States of America United Kingdom Germany Ireland Scotland Wales
    256778_236189979731396_100000211878712_1273633_7476168_o.jpg

This photo shows my grandfather, top row far left, and his siblings. As you can see the bottom three are redheads of varying type. The top four are brunettes. The two, my great uncle and great aunt, to the right on the top row are also very dark complexioned compared to even my grandfather and his other brother in the middle.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Webb For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (01-12-2019),  Jessie (01-12-2019),  JMcB (01-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    more "celtic"
    Nationality
    french (for the State)
    mtDNA (M)
    H3c
    Y-DNA (P)
    Y-R1b-L21/S145 *conf

Height maps are always a mess, because they rarely take comparable samples. (Some "scientists" of this old times made sometimes states based upon migrants people, not in their country of origin!
    If I recall well, the 1m78 SW Scots before 1900's were recrues (soldiers), higher statured that the mean population they come from. It had been noticed. In the 1950's the supposed mean stature in UK was 1m71 or more for English people, 1m705 for Wales and Scotland - with regional and social differences as always; but stature depends not only on food, it depends too on physical activity with opposite effects according to excess or good equilibrium or lack, different ancient ethnic origins reinforcing social or professional classes. A very unsteady ground.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moesan For This Useful Post:

MikeWhalen (01-17-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA (M)
    K2b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63

Well i’m basing it on personal experience and the reality of living in Southern England for 4 years.

You definitely can make assumptions based on life experience. The Irish don’t tan that well and are for the most part, pale white.

Just depends.

In my family my dad has dark hair, light blue eyes, ruddy skin, and reacts poorly to sun. (Maybe his Welsh heritage, maybe not. He's more English, and not really Irish at all.)

My mom had brown hair, green eyes, more olive skin, tanned well, some Irish on paper, also English, Swedish, German.

My sister is blonde, blue-eyed, has always tanned easily. (yes, we hate her -- kidding.) ;-)

I have brown hair, green eyes, fair skin, and can't tan, burn easily.

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a

England

You speak as if it isn't nearly impossible to tell if someone is English or Irish without knowing.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morganman3 For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (01-17-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-18-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    It's fairly easy to be honest.

Registered Users
    Sex

There was some genetic stuff last year using the massive dataset 200,000 strong UK Biobank and finding that the cline of ancestry from Southern England to Scotland and Northern Ireland reflected a tendency of slightly reducing height (SE England taller than Celtic groups, and so less Northern European ancestry, within the British Isles, with shorter height), but no more than 1 or 2 cm. I'll see if I can dig it out later and post it up.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c3f
    Y-DNA (P)
    M222 (S588)

Ireland Australia Ireland County Tipperary
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterne View Post
    There was some genetic stuff last year using the massive dataset 200,000 strong UK Biobank and finding that the cline of ancestry from Southern England to Scotland and Northern Ireland reflected a tendency of slightly reducing height (SE England taller than Celtic groups, and so less Northern European ancestry, within the British Isles, with shorter height), but no more than 1 or 2 cm. I'll see if I can dig it out later and post it up.
    I doubt it has anything to do with less Northern European ancestry. All those groups are Northern European but SE English might be a bit more southern as per Reich.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43712587

Anyway different studies must show different things because the study below found Irish and Scots slightly taller than the English.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...70677X14000665

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jessie For This Useful Post:

Bas (03-29-2019),  Cascio (03-30-2019),  FionnSneachta (01-17-2019),  Nqp15hhu (01-17-2019),  Torc Seanathair (01-17-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    mtDNA (M)
    T2a1b1a
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-PH908*, DYS561=15

European Union Romania Moldova
    It's literally all a matter of nutrition. That's why Asians raised in the West are usually taller than those at home.
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    Global 25: 45% Anatolia_N, 40% Yamnaya_UA, 12% Baltic_HG, 3% Han
    Global 25 IA-EMA: Fit 1.15 | 36% Thracian/Getae (18% MJ12 + 15% ACD STR300 + 3% Scythian MDA), 34% Balto-Slav (22% EST MA + 12% Avar Szolad), 27% Chernyakhov Culture,
    3% Han
    Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

Jessie (01-17-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast