Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 141

Thread: have the Frenchs celt DNA ?

  1. #21
    Moderator
    Posts
    5,235
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z367
    mtDNA
    H5a1

    Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney
    Quote Originally Posted by Trelvern View Post
    and bretons are likely to be short, dark hair and olive skin. Actually, it's not the whole truth. They can be so or not.
    It would be fun to post anonymous photos and ask which ethnicity or nationality these people belong to.
    I bet on a high rate of errors.
    I wonder whether the OP could have planned to provoke such "classify this person"-posts. Fun perhaps, but forbidden on AG (fortunately).
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     Eihwaz (01-28-2019),  JMcB (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019)

  3. #22
    Registered Users
    Posts
    535
    Sex
    Location
    Brittany
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-U106 S497
    mtDNA
    K1a

    France Bretagne Kroaz Du
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    I wonder whether the OP could have planned to provoke such "classify this person"-posts. Fun perhaps, but forbidden on AG (fortunately).
    oh yes
    i understand perfectly

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trelvern For This Useful Post:

     anglesqueville (01-13-2019),  JMcB (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019)

  5. #23
    Moderator
    Posts
    5,235
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z367
    mtDNA
    H5a1

    Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney
    In my opinion, there are two extreme possibilities (the truth being as always somewhere in between). First: the OP is only an innocent guy who has got bad habits on bad blogs and forums. Second: he is a troll more skilled than usual. If the first one is the right one, he will learn. In the second case, everybody knows how it will end. My advice to the French: be very cautious.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (01-13-2019),  Judith (01-28-2019),  MikeWhalen (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019)

  7. #24
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,445
    Sex
    Location
    Groningen
    Ethnicity
    Northwest European
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA
    E-V22

    Netherlands
    Celtic is like Germanic a label. The question here is (in my words) does the label Celt represent a certain 'unified genetic composition'. So the cultrual Celtic label is also a genetic Celtic label.

    There is no evidence that there is unified Celtic genetic composition that can be detected from Scotland to Brittany and from Ireland to Bavaria.....

    Or even smaller not even on the Isles:

    "I had assumed at the very early stages of the project that there was going to be this uniform Celtic fringe extending from Cornwall through to Wales into Scotland. And this has very definitely not been the case,"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31905764

  8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

     anglesqueville (01-13-2019),  Bollox79 (01-13-2019),  Camulogène Rix (01-13-2019),  Helgenes50 (01-13-2019),  Jessie (01-25-2019),  JMcB (01-13-2019),  JonikW (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019),  Ruderico (01-13-2019),  Trelvern (01-13-2019)

  9. #25
    Moderator
    Posts
    5,235
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z367
    mtDNA
    H5a1

    Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney
    "Celtic" is IMO mostly a cultural-linguistic label. "Celtic DNA" is the name of a problematic (partly summarized by your quotation). And of course, as it was already noticed, "Irish-Iberian type" is nothing but a bullshit (or a trollish trojan horse).
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     Camulogène Rix (01-13-2019),  Finn (01-13-2019),  Helgenes50 (01-13-2019),  Jessie (01-25-2019),  JMcB (01-13-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019),  Ruderico (01-13-2019)

  11. #26
    Registered Users
    Posts
    44
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    "Celtic" is IMO mostly a cultural-linguistic label. "Celtic DNA" is the name of a problematic (partly summarized by your quotation). And of course, as it was already noticed, "Irish-Iberian type" is nothing but a bullshit (or a trollish trojan horse).
    I'm pretty sure that they aren't even trolling, just really into the mindset of the forums and blogs that are ideologically stuck on old ideas going back to physical anthropologists like Coon.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xenus For This Useful Post:

     anglesqueville (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019)

  13. #27
    Moderator
    Posts
    5,235
    Sex
    Location
    Normandy
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA
    U152>L2>Z367
    mtDNA
    H5a1

    Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney
    Quote Originally Posted by xenus View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they aren't even trolling, just really into the mindset of the forums and blogs that are ideologically stuck on old ideas going back to physical anthropologists like Coon.
    I hope that you're right. If yes he will learn. AG is the right place for that.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

    (Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

     Power77 (01-14-2019)

  15. #28
    Registered Users
    Posts
    81
    Sex
    Location
    Haifa
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA
    R0a4

    Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    The question here is (in my words) does the label Celt represent a certain 'unified genetic composition'.
    If there was let's say in the bronze Age a 'unified genetic composition' for Celts, this means there is something we can call now "Celtic DNA" and calculate the admixture for modern people.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to artemv For This Useful Post:

     Finn (01-13-2019),  Power77 (01-14-2019)

  17. #29
    Registered Users
    Posts
    44
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    G2a
    mtDNA
    H

    England
    Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    In my opinion, there are two extreme possibilities (the truth being as always somewhere in between). First: the OP is only an innocent guy who has got bad habits on bad blogs and forums. Second: he is a troll more skilled than usual. If the first one is the right one, he will learn. In the second case, everybody knows how it will end. My advice to the French: be very cautious.
    Seems he is quite young and therefore could be none the wiser. I remember when I was young and was interested in "classifying people" and whether someone can "pass" as a native in whatever country. As other people have said, you soon see the light when you realise that much of this art is guesswork and falls apart when someone's origin is not revealed. I tested by posting a family member who is fully NW European/Isles ancestry and they came back as being classified as multiple ridiculous things from "North Pontid" "Baltid+Cro Magnon" "Atlantid" etc.

    Most of these racial types aren't very clear and it's very hard to put people into those convenient groups. The only "race" which I thought actually looked like a common unique look was the "Brunn" type. That type of face you do see a lot of in the British Isles, e.g. Wayne Rooney, Jeremy Clarkson, Imelda Staunton, Martin Mcguinness.

  18. #30
    Registered Users
    Posts
    2,445
    Sex
    Location
    Groningen
    Ethnicity
    Northwest European
    Nationality
    NL
    Y-DNA
    E-V22

    Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by artemv View Post
    If there was let's say in the bronze Age a 'unified genetic composition' for Celts, this means there is something we can call now "Celtic DNA" and calculate the admixture for modern people.
    Indeed IF....but this is not qualified. Just as with 'Germanic' is the case.
    Celts and Germanics are Roman labels. And in the nineteenth century this labels were (mis)used as labels for 'unique peoples' (common language, culture and ethnicity, all 1:1).
    Celts nor Gemans represent something 'genetic unified' not now and not in the past.....
    Last edited by Finn; 01-13-2019 at 04:40 PM.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finn For This Useful Post:

     Jessie (01-25-2019),  JMcB (01-13-2019),  Trelvern (01-13-2019)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Outstanding celt princess grave discovered in France
    By Bernard in forum Archaeology (Prehistory)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 07-18-2017, 09:36 PM
  2. Replies: 173
    Last Post: 02-08-2017, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •