Sex
    Nationality
    United States
    Y-DNA
    Q-L53
    mtDNA
    J1c5

Q-L569 from Europe?

I recently found that I am of haplogroup Q-L569, but my forefather is recorded to be from Europe around 1700-1800 from what I have been told by family, so this is quite odd. He also probably came from Germany. Has anyone heard of this haplogroup being associated with any other people from Europe? I was told it's basically just a Native American haplogroup, but if that's the case, then would it be due to:

1. Native Americans that lived in Europe? I believe I've heard stories that Columbus reportedly spoke of Native Americans he had seen in Ireland before going to the Americas.
    2. Siberians that had this haplogroup that traveled west instead of east.

#1 would be more interesting, but not sure which is more likely. Some individuals that understand the Q haplogroup and genetics much better than myself said it's more likely that it's truly from Native American origin. I got the result from 23andMe since they updated to the v5 chip.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JKJ For This Useful Post:

Táltos (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Your nationality says you're from the United States so it's most likely one of a few things. A "non paternity event", a knowing family cover up of member with native blood, or a child adopted secretly or not long ago. People would leave their kids with family or friends if they had to travel or people would take in kids after the death of a parent etc.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xenus For This Useful Post:

JKJ (01-13-2019),  Táltos (01-13-2019)

Administrator
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Q-BZ68
    mtDNA
    H23

Italy Two Sicilies Germany Palatinate Lithuania Poland Slovakia
    Quote Originally Posted by JKJ View Post
    I recently found that I am of haplogroup Q-L569, but my forefather is recorded to be from Europe around 1700-1800 from what I have been told by family, so this is quite odd. He also probably came from Germany. Has anyone heard of this haplogroup being associated with any other people from Europe? I was told it's basically just a Native American haplogroup, but if that's the case, then would it be due to:

1. Native Americans that lived in Europe? I believe I've heard stories that Columbus reportedly spoke of Native Americans he had seen in Ireland before going to the Americas.
    2. Siberians that had this haplogroup that traveled west instead of east.

#1 would be more interesting, but not sure which is more likely. Some individuals that understand the Q haplogroup and genetics much better than myself said it's more likely that it's truly from Native American origin. I got the result from 23andMe since they updated to the v5 chip.
    Congratulations on your result! Q-L569 is downstream to the Native American branch of Q-Z780. We all have at least 2-3 branches of our family tree that we think are from one place, when in reality it is another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_Q-Z780
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/Q-Z780/
    Maternal Grandfather's Y Line: J-ZS1711
    Paternal Grandmother’s mtDNA: U5a1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Táltos For This Useful Post:

JKJ (01-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Western Meseta Iberian
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y31991 > PF4428
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    My advise is to not give too much importance to what your family told you, cases of mistaken heritage are extremely common in the US, particularly so far back. Unless you have paper trail, of course.

The odds of your Nat Am patrilinear ancestry being from Europe at one point are very, very low
    G25 Hidden Content and Hidden Content distances
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

DEIBABOR
    IGO
    DEIBOBOR
    VISSAIEIGO
    BOR

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

JKJ (01-13-2019),  Táltos (01-13-2019)