Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why would my grandmother score this on 23andme?

Inactive Admin Account
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA
    D4j5*

England
    I'll co-sign rms2 and Dorkymon's posts on this - Your best bet is to (as Dorkymon rightly states) try various models on your grandma to screen whether the Africa ancestry is truly present, and if so, where in Africa it comes from. The euclidean distance between Sub-Saharan groups and Eurasians (coupled with the massive intra-African variation) means even a "true" value of 0.5% Ghanian or Kenyan would sufficiently improve the fit of a pan-West Eurasian individual.

Regarding the "noise" issue - This isn't something anyone's received a clear-cut answer for, but from the experience of a trained geneticist who's done 23andMe and Ancestry (Dr. Barry Starr), one can infer that a score far below 1% (0.1% in his case) from just one output does not guarantee authenticity.

Let's please avoid personalising the discussion any further, which includes Ruderico's perspectives on other topics.

Personally, I'm over 3% Italian on 23andMe, but nMonte modelling convincingly demonstrates that isn't the case*.

* ...Unfortunately! The Romans are my favourite ancient European group.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-16-2019),  JMcB (01-16-2019),  rms2 (01-18-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  Sikeliot (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Isles Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1 Z140+ A21912+
    mtDNA
    V

Wales England Cornwall Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    That's precisely what I meant when I referenced your "unsourced extrapolations" taken from a quote referencing a particular rough figure form the 1700s in Madeira, and using as it if applied to the entire country, yet you have no idea on the social and population dynamics of the country from the period. Besides most of those individuals did not necessarily leave a lot of descent, it's not like they had happy and free lives like the rest of the colonials. Not that it matters, because the overwhelming majority of modern continental Iberians do not have ancestors who lived in the islands, so it's irrelevant.
    Finally, as can be seen in many 23andme results, it's not only Portuguese who score residual scores of Senegambian, Nigerian or whatever. You have British and French forum users who also score it, besides the countless other Portuguese and Spanish individuals on the platform itself. Maybe there was an unregistered continental-wide phenomena in the 1700s in which people suddently decided to "have an illegitimate affair with slaves" for whatever reason, even in regions where there are no documents that indicate their presence. Or maybe - just maybe - values like 0,2% shouldn't be taken literally

Besides I NEVER made that last claim - which you obviously cannot source. I'm reporting you for spreading accusatory lies, it's completely unnaceptable that you try to fake your way out of this by framing something that preposterous on me.
    Hi Ruderico, I don't remember seeing British forum users with Senegambian but am intrigued. Can you point me to a thread if possible? Thanks. My son has a slither of East African phased with his mother on 23andme but that's not on my side, unfortunately (nothing out of the expected here). Have either of your parents tested? That might help to answer some of your questions about African ancestry. In any case, it's a fascinating subject. I remember a history program on the BBC recently showing a more realistic view of black people in relatively modern European history. There was an 18th century painting of Lisbon showing many fascinating African characters, from the wealthy down to those who were probably slaves. I remember myself the grave of a young African slave in Bristol, where I'm from (notorious for the Africa trade). I always found it very moving as a child.
    Living DNA Cautious mode:
    South Wales Border-related ancestry: 86.8%
    Cornwall: 8%
    Cumbria-related ancestry: 5.2%
    Y line: Peak District, England. Big Y match: Scania, Sweden; TMRCA 1,280 ybp (YFull);
    mtDNA: traces to Glamorgan, Wales, 18th century. Mother's Y line (Wales): R-L21 L371

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA
    H1ao1

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazil
    When your ancestors moved and conquered new lands they always mixed with new people. Europeans have Neanderthal ancestry forever and that's a fact because our ancestors moved there. Phoenicians, Roman, Moors, North Africans moved and conquered Iberia. Portugal was a big Empire so close to Africa with several colonies in different parts of Africa and an extremely big frontier in Brazil, historical movements always happened and are well known in the Portuguese Empire and admixtures are extremely common. Some people can have small admixtures and others don't have, just test and observe the results.
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123