Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Italian Beta Program map results.

Registered Users

Italian Beta Program map results.

I’m curious how many Italian customers have been designated SICILY on there regional map.
    I’m half LAZIO Italian and was quite surprised by being assigned SICILY.
    On contemplation i started to half remember vague family comment of some distant Ancestor coming from further south of Rome. But still need to contact my own Italian family in Italy to confirm Or disconfirm before I culturally appropriate myself some Sicilian ancestry lol
    That being said I have now come across a couple of far North Italian 23andMe customers who have also been assigned Sicily at 1. and 2. Which as far as they can see does not match there paper trail.

So,Regarding the recent Beta Regional update of Italian 23andMe customers my real question is this:
    Is there anybody out there of Italian ancestry who has actually “not” been assigned SICILY?

Attachment 28416Attachment 28417
    Last edited by Claudio; 01-15-2019 at 10:41 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Claudio For This Useful Post:

Nino90 (01-15-2019),  vettor (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Paesuri
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-BY36857
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Keep in mind most of the costumers are American, and those who have Italian ancestry could be mostly form Sicilian descent. This happens with Portugal, we all have Azores and Madeira as our two top regions, even people who have no known ancestors from the islands in the last 250 years - in fact I have on my genealogical record that ~75% of my ancestry is from the distrito of Viseu, and 23andme didn't even include it in my list. It's basically Italo-Americans who are creating that result for you
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>BY36857. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7726"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,77.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,13.6
    Guanche,8.8

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019),  Nino90 (01-15-2019),  vettor (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA
    H4a1-T152C!

United States of America Italy Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudio View Post
    I’m curious how many Italian customers have been designated SICILY on there regional map.
    On contemplation i started to half remember vague family comment of some distant Ancestor coming from further south of Rome. But still need to contact my own Italian family in Italy to confirm Or disconfirm before I culturally appropriate myself some Sicilian ancestry lol
    That being said I have now come across a couple of far North Italian 23andMe customers who have also been assigned Sicily at 1. and 2. Which as far as they can see does not match there paper trail.

So,Regarding the recent Beta Regional update of Italian 23andMe customers my real question is this:
    Is there anybody out there of Italian ancestry who has actually “not” been assigned SICILY?

#Attachment 28393Attachment 28394
    Humm. I do not see regional Italian results at all in my 23andMe results. Perhaps because I was on chip version 3? I have paper trail to Sicily, Avellino and Lombardia.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543, Pietro della Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by R.Rocca View Post
    Humm. I do not see regional Italian results at all in my 23andMe results. Perhaps because I was on chip version 3? I have paper trail to Sicily, Avellino and Lombardia.
    Log in to your 23andMe account,go to (Settings) then scroll down till you get to a label saying (apply to Beta testing) click and apply. Your account will update instantly,then click back on ancestry composition,click on Italian ancestry,and view results will take you to regional ancestry(maps)
    What do you get?

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    Keep in mind most of the costumers are American, and those who have Italian ancestry could be mostly form Sicilian descent. This happens with Portugal, we all have Azores and Madeira as our two top regions, even people who have no known ancestors from the islands in the last 250 years - in fact I have on my genealogical record that ~75% of my ancestry is from the distrito of Viseu, and 23andme didn't even include it in my list. It's basically Italo-Americans who are creating that result for you
    I’m not exactly sure how they work these maps out?
    I emailed 23andMe and could not get a straight answer (you never can)
    For instance even though on paper and on my 23andMe results I am 50% Italian,on 23andMe i only have 18 Dna relatives through my Italian ancestry and many of them are only part Italian.
    23andMe tried to tell me that they do not use these relatives for designating there Regional maps or countries of origin but instead use a pool of test subjects with full 4 X grandparents from country and designate how (for instance Italian) you are from how closely you share DNA with these distant test subjects then apply Regional ancestry depending where this same pool is from Regionally as far as ancestry.
    Then again on reflection in a genealogical sense these maps are supposed to go back 200 years which covers something like 256 sets of X times grandparents and 510 Xtimes grandparents,can you really account for all of them via your documented paper trail?
    So you never no there might be some truth to maps? Lol
    Last edited by Claudio; 01-15-2019 at 03:22 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Paesuri
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-BY36857
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Then again on reflection in a genealogical sense these maps are supposed to go back 200 years which covers something like 256 sets of X times grandparents and 510 Xtimes grandparents,can you really account for all of them via your documented paper trail?
    Yes I can because the tomes are avaliable online. For example I have paper trail on all 16 of my maternal grandfather's great great grandparents. Some lines I even have another 2 generations back, the others I haven't searcher for yet. My paternal line has been traced back to the 1600s (and by the way, the region - Viana do Castelo - isn't showing either)

This is because the map isn't really showing where you ancestors were located, but where your "cousins" have their grandparents from. In modern times 2 generations back can be pretty meaningless, especially if they are not from a rural area in Europe
    Last edited by Ruderico; 01-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>BY36857. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7726"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,77.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,13.6
    Guanche,8.8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Alpine
    Nationality
    Australian and Italian
    Y-DNA
    T1a2b- Z19945 - Jura
    mtDNA
    H95a1 - Pannoni

Australia Italy Veneto Friuli Italy Trentino Alto Adige Austria Tirol Germany Palatinate

#Attachment 28393Attachment 28394
    see mine
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....l=1#post530069

I get
    Veneto
    Sardinia
    Sicily
    Calabria in this order

If this is only for 200 years then they must add regions to make up the 4 slots that everyone gets minimally

I have only one distant record of a relative born in Morgano Veneto in 1915, married a sicilian girl from Messina and they moved , settled and died in Lomello Lombardy............I doubt 23andme know about this ...................all the others for last 200 years are from Veneto italy.

my guess, is they need to fill the four slots and I also think you will never see someone with trentino or aosta in their regional breakdown

European = 99.2%......Central Asian = 0.8% ....Yfull - 1460BC, Jura caves
    Father's Mtdna .........T2b17
    Grandfather's Mtdna .......T1a1e
    Sons Mtdna .......K1a4
    Maternal Grandfather paternal......I1d-P109...CTS6009
    Wife's Ydna .....R1a-Z282

My Path = ( K-M9+, TL-P326+, T-M184+, L490+, M70+, PF5664+, L131+, L446+, CTS933+, CTS54+, CTS8862+, Z19945+, Y70078+ )

The main negatives = ( M193-, P322-, P327-, Pages11- , L25- , CTS1848- )

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vettor For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA
    H4a1-T152C!

United States of America Italy Spain
    Log in to your 23andMe account,go to (Settings) then scroll down till you get to a label saying (apply to Beta testing) click and apply. Your account will update instantly,then click back on ancestry composition,click on Italian ancestry,and view results will take you to regional ancestry(maps)
    What do you get?
    That did the trick, thank you. I get the following, which does not show my Lombardia ancestry which is from the 1850s...

Italy has 20 administrative regions, and we found the strongest evidence of your ancestry in the following 7 regions.
    Sicily
    Campania
    Calabria
    Apulia
    Abruzzo
    Basilicata
    Lazio
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543, Pietro della Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

England Italy Sweden Netherlands
    I get

Calabria
    Sicily
    lazio

The Calabria is correct. Sicily maybe, the town everyone was from is 20 miles from Sicily so I would imagine there is cross over and similar DNA. I did find out a distant part of the family was from a different town that was very close to Reggio di Calabria which is across the strait of messina, so close again. This town was Griko so there's that... No idea about Lazio. I do get traces of this from time to time and the only Northern Italian I am aware of is from Liguria and Tuscany but that was looong ago, late 1600's early 1700's so i doubt it plays a role in this.

I do know that a lot of my cousins have Sicilian aspects to their family, be it a parent or grandparent so while this doesnt influence me, it might influence the report.
    Last edited by digital_noise; 01-15-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    distance%=4.6465"
    Barcin_N,47.2
    Yamnaya_Samara,41.4
    WHG,10.6
    Ethiopia_4500BP,0.8

E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminà Italy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Even if I only scored 3.5 something Italian. Atleast they find right region (Tuscany)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

Claudio (01-15-2019),  Táltos (01-17-2019)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast