Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a>L664>YP943
    mtDNA
    H4a1

United States of America Canada Denmark Switzerland England France
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    Everything is the same for the missus and I, except "Iberian" was relabelled "Spanish & Portuguese" - which should be "Portuguese & Spanish", of course, but the guys at 23andme are all a bunch of philistines anyway
    They had me pegged at around 1% Spanish & Portuguese, er, Portuguese & Spanish...I usually ignore numbers that low, but I do have a 7th or 8th generation Portuguese grandfather from the Azores, who immigrated to Canada.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RVBLAKE For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (01-18-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    The main change for my results is French & German increasing by a few percentage points and less ambiguity in regards to the broad categories -

European 99.9% (down from 100%)

British & Irish 71.1% (down from 71.8%)
    French & German 10.9% (up from 6.3%)
    Scandinavian 1.5% (down from 1.9%)

Broadly Northwestern European 16.4% (down from 18.9%)
    Broadly European 0% (down from 1.1%)

Sub-Saharan African 0.1% (new)

Meanwhile, my brother's results are much more Northern European than they were, losing the noise amounts of African and Asian he showed. A lot of the ambiguity, as well as some from B&I, went into F&G as well as Scandinavian -

European 100% (up from 99.7%)

British & Irish 68.0% (down from 71.3%)
    French & German 13.1% (up from 5.4%)
    Scandinavian 2.8% (up from 0.9%)
    Iberian/Spanish & Portuguese 0% (down from 0.2%)

Broadly Northwestern European 16.0% (down from 19.5%)
    Broadly Southern European 0% (down from 1.3%)
    Broadly European 0.1% (down from 1.1%)

Western Asian & North African 0% (down from 0.1%)
    North African & Arabian 0% (down from 0.1%)

Unassigned 0% (down from 0.2%)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

Anglo-Celtic DC (01-20-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  sktibo (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    Always fun to get an update! Mine are better in some ways and worse in others, I was surprised (actually, horrified) to find they had lowered my British and Irish percentage by nearly ten percent. My French and German percentage went up by almost ten percent, so I'm thinking that must have come straight out of my B&I percentage. at about 8-9% French and ~12.5% German, this looked to add up until I examined the results for my parents: My mom's result went down (should have gone up) and my dad's result went way up (should not have gone up so much.) I've got a small Spanish and Portuguese percentage which could be plausible as my mom has distant Spanish ancestry, but my mom did not receive an Iberian percentage while my dad did.

Dad (~80% British, ~16% French, ~4% Native American)
    23andmedad.png

Mom (50% Eastern European & East German - probably ~25% Polish ~25% German, 25% Northern Irish, 25% Colonial American - Mostly English)
    23andmemom.png

Myself; see signature.
    23andmeupdatedstibo.png

My Mom's result is massively improved. Her Eastern European is up to a plausible percentage (assuming Eastern German partially falls into Europe East) and her British Isles percentage went up, which is good.

My Dad's result is not-so-improved. His British percentage is about the same as it was before, this is going off memory but I think it actually went down from 57% prior. Although between ~16-17% French, 25% F & G is too high an estimate in his case. 53% British is too low for an individual with 3 grandparents born on the island of Britain, and a bit more ancestry of this type on top of that. One improvement was that his Scandinavian percentage diminished to below 1%.

My Eastern European went up, so that's good. I'm not sure if the increase of F & G is necessarily better as it seems pretty clear to me that not much of this is coming from my Eastern German ancestry. But I'm not going to write it off as nonsense - I'm sure it has an improved reference panel and more data is simply better IMO. I think that there are some observations I can make about these categories from our results, however:

1. Dad gets Spanish but mom doesn't. Dad has no Spanish ancestry, mom has some distant Spanish ancestry. That means that this isn't actually Spanish but mislabeled Southern French ancestry.

2. Dad's F&G went way up without any German ancestry while mom's (Should be around 25%) went down a little. Since the F & G estimate exceeds his French ancestry by a significant amount, it has to be coming from his English ancestry to some degree.

3. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Eastern German may show as significantly Eastern European.

I suspect, similarly to Ancestry's update that some people will find this update better and others worse. I found Ancestry's update to be very good but for myself and my dad, I do not think this is improved.
    Last edited by sktibo; 01-16-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Canarioguanche (01-17-2019),  deadly77 (01-16-2019),  fostert (01-16-2019),  Jessie (01-16-2019),  JMcB (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Ruderico View Post
    Everything is the same for the missus and I, except "Iberian" was relabelled "Spanish & Portuguese" - which should be "Portuguese & Spanish", of course, but the guys at 23andme are all a bunch of philistines anyway
    What do the Spanish and Portuguese tend to get at 50% and 90% confidence? 90-100% 'Portuguese and Spanish'? Curious because I have noticed a considerable jump recently since the update in my 'Iberian' and that of other Sephardic Jews which I am looking at.

Since the update:

* Iberian doubled
    * Italian increased a little
    * West & East African spec is new
    * West Asian increased
    * French & German halved
    * North African considerably decreased

European 79.4%
    British & Irish 32.3% Caret
    United Kingdom, Ireland
    Italian 10.3% Caret
    Ashkenazi Jewish 7.4% Caret
    Spanish & Portuguese 4.4% Caret
    French & German 3.2% Caret
    Broadly Northwestern European 10.6% Caret
    Broadly Southern European 4.4% Caret
    Broadly European 7.0% Caret
    Western Asian & North African 19.7%
    Western Asian 15.0% Caret
    North African & Arabian 0.6% Caret
    Broadly Western Asian & North African 4.1% Caret
    Sub-Saharan African 0.2%
    Broadly Northern East African 0.1% Caret
    Broadly West African 0.1% Caret
    Unassigned 0.7%

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seabass For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest Iberian
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y31991 > PF4428
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    What do the Spanish and Portuguese tend to get at 50% and 90% confidence? 90-100% 'Portuguese and Spanish'? Curious because I have noticed a considerable jump recently since the update in my 'Iberian' and that of other Sephardic Jews which I am looking at.

Since the update:

* Iberian doubled
    * Italian increased a little
    * West & East African spec is new
    * West Asian increased
    * French & German halved
    * North African considerably decreased
    At 50% it's something between 70% and 90% Iberian (although I've seen portuguese with 92,5% with virtually no broadly scores - these individuals could have their parents results too, perhaps), with some varying amounts of Italian and North Euro-related, although you occasionally also see a few decimals of Sardinian, East Euro and so on. Trace amounts of SSA and West Asian are also common.
    At 90% I'm not so sure because I haven't seen many, but form my very limited experience it's something like 30-50% Iberian and a lot of 'broadly' stuff. Some decimals of other components might be present
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA plot Hidden Content ; Western Europe-only Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-16-2019),  Seabass (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

United States of America Catalonia Spain
    Native of Aragon-Valencia, Spain. My results:23andme_edited.jpg

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Isidro For This Useful Post:

Canarioguanche (01-17-2019),  Don Felipe (01-16-2019),  JMcB (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  Seabass (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019),  Vivaldi4Stagioni (01-23-2019)

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Canarioguanche For This Useful Post:

Don Felipe (01-16-2019),  Isidro (01-16-2019),  JMcB (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest Iberian
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y31991 > PF4428
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Interesting Isidro, you have actually "low" Portuguese & Spanish, I was expecting NE/E Iberians to score more than us westerners due to your closer proximity with Basques. Would really like to see how you plot on G25
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA plot Hidden Content ; Western Europe-only Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    For me, I can see some improvements relative to my family tree. In particular, my majority ancestries are much better aligned. Previously I had about 43 "British & Irish" and only a bit over 20% "French & German" -- which seemed nearly reversed.

Now I'm getting 43.0% French & German, which they give drill down a bit and predict "ancestors in Switzerland & Germany in the last 200 years". I hate the wording of that, because there's a big difference between in and from. My German ancestors were still "fully German" (for the most part) for at least another two generations after immigration, but they weren't in Germany.

They haven't made any meaningful headway on my Spanish ancestry. It's actually Menorcan, so perhaps it would test differently. But this is my most recent immigrant stream. My maternal grandmother was actually half Menorcan -- through the fathers of both of her parents -- which should make me an eighth, or 12.5%.

I don't expect that sort of exactness, both because actual inheritance can vary significantly; but also because the algorithms can rarely capture 100% of any ancestry. Still, all I get of "Spanish & Portugeuse" now is 0.8%. Previously, I'd gotten 1.9% Iberian. Still way lower than expected, but now it's only half that.

I also get 0.9% "Greek & Balkan". That's surely from the Menorcan ancestry, but I know my ancestors were in Menorca for generations. I doubt there's actual Greek or Balkan, but Menorca is Mediterranean, so there could be some distant connection. Then I get another 3.3% "Broadly Southern European", which is probably also still from my Menorcan ancestry. (Plus another 1.0% "Broadly European", which could be connected as well.) It's still somewhat less than I'd expect ... but no worse than before. After a while I'll check to see how the numbers have changed for each of my five siblings.

I still show a smidgen of "Finnish" -- 0.4% -- which I don't have, as far as I know. Most likely it's an artifact of my British ancestry, which includes a fair amount of Scottish and Scots-Irish. Could be related to a distant Scandinavian connection, maybe. (Though I don't have any Scandinavian.)

Finally, my Native American inched up a little, from 2.0% to 2.2%. By my paper trail, the 2% figure was actually about right. But I'm not going to quibble over 2 tenths of a percent.

Now to check out the rest of my family's changes ...
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  sktibo (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-V13
    mtDNA
    H24a1

Ireland Germany Cornwall Scotland Switzerland Netherlands
    I had started a thread earlier yesterday on this.
    Pretty big changes for my older kits. Parents' v5 kits changed slightly.

I lost almost all of my Southern European, which appears to have gone to other European groups. I also had a reduction across the board on my minority European.

The big call out is one of my kits now has 2.5% Sudanese, which although would be consistent with the North African and West Asian I get on many tests, is painted exclusively on my X chromosome. This is an Ancestry transfer kit so I assume there is a glitch on the X chromosome of transfers. My v3 kit saw an increase in North African and West Asian and received 0.1% China and South Asia, which is consistently painted on both kits although I have no indication from other tests this is real, except potentially a Pashtun link, which more or less meets in the middle of their West Asian and South Asian groups.

Also worth noting is the funky stuff going on with phasing. Previously all of the groups no explained or to a lesser extent present in my parents results were credited to my paternal side. Now, the North African/West Asian is credit to my mothers and I supposedly get 0.1% East Asian from each parent although my results only show 0.1%.
    Last edited by greerpalmer; 01-16-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    Predominately English, Irish & German with Dutch, Swiss, French & Polish
    Y Haplogroup E-V13 ("Siegel" via Prussia), Mt Haplogroup H24a1 (via Unknown)

GEDmatch Kits: A436029, M213836, Z169952 GEDCOM: 7950338

Ancestry: Hidden Content
    MyHeritage: Hidden Content
    23andme: Hidden Content
    Living DNA: Hidden Content

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greerpalmer For This Useful Post:

Canarioguanche (01-17-2019),  JMcB (01-16-2019),  Robert1 (01-16-2019),  Ruderico (01-16-2019),  sktibo (01-16-2019),  Táltos (01-16-2019)

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast