Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 23andMe rolled out new Ancestry Composition estimates today

Registered Users
    Sex

I'm wondering if people have any good solutions for tracking all the results. For 23andMe I'm fairly confident the "last" results are the best (Rememebering there aren't necessarily "right" answers here: There's always been gene flow between related populations, isolated gene pools, migration of people etc.) and there's always that whole time dimension.

However, my current results give me 70.4% Finnish and 4.5 Scandinavian. Given three of my grandparents were from Finland, with some Swedish heritage, that's probably as spot on as it can get. By comparison, AncestryDNA recent update gave me 83% + 9% = 92% Finland and Sweden which is clearly too high (admittedly they include Northwest Russia which muddles waters; 23andMe has me 8% Russian which would get me to 82,9% or almost 10% less using similar grouping on 23andMe results). Finnish should be easy to tell apart, which doesn't inspire confidence in AncestryDNA results in me.

More than that, though, I love the new "report" feature on 23andMe, really putting the results in context and adds value, plus there's useful feature in finding connections from said region (Didn't check yet if there's any sort of filter that there must be shared DNA from *same* region, I don't think so? That would be even greater though, but probably issues with privacy).

Shame that the "trace regions" from a few updates back seem forever gone though, and I have no idea if their disappearance means that they were wrong, or that they've just fallen under some arbitrarily chosen threshold but could've represented real deep ancestry.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Donwulff For This Useful Post:

tomz (02-09-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    Dad: I1-P109
    mtDNA
    T1a1

Germany United Kingdom Czech Republic Canada Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Donwulff View Post
    I'm wondering if people have any good solutions for tracking all the results. For 23andMe I'm fairly confident the "last" results are the best (Rememebering there aren't necessarily "right" answers here: There's always been gene flow between related populations, isolated gene pools, migration of people etc.) and there's always that whole time dimension.
    I've mostly been tracking things using spreadsheets (like the ones linked in my signature).

Although, reading your post has just given me the idea to take my DNA Painter profile with the segments that I have pinned down to specific ancestors & lines of ancestry, and make new segment entries on it using the start- & end-point info for the ancestry regions on 23andMe's chromosome browser... I think I should be able to do that the same way as adding a segment from an ancestor but naming it "Eastern European" instead of "Katerina Svatek".

edit

Turns out DNA Painter has a form specifically for importing ethnicity segments from 23andMe.
    Last edited by PoxVoldius; 02-03-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Ancestry paper trail tally: 21.1% Colonial American (British Isles, German, Dutch, Swiss, French), 14.1% not traced past 19th Century United States (MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA), 7.8% Canadian (Ontario & Quebec), 40.6% German, 15.6% Czech, 0.8% British & Irish

Hidden Content * Hidden Content * Hidden Content

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany Prussia
    I just wish they would finally revise their prohibitive shipping costs to europe. Then again apparently the basic ancestry test includes haplogroups too (two for males of course) so it might be worth it after all. Overall i'm really liking how they keep revising and continually improving their algorithmic methodology though and will most likely go through with it and order a kit from them this year once i have more time

Registered Users
    Sex

23andMe has had European shipping center for a while now, so the normal shipping and handling seems to be 9.99 EUR, which is comparatively great. What sucks is that the price in euros is always so much higher, and there are no discounts afaik. Not that any of that has anything to do with the new Ancestry Composition.

Yeah I thought of using DNA Painter too, but it's somewhat limited in this case. Immediately spotted some things I wish 23andMe itself offered; I wish I could display both Finnish and Scandinavian on the chromosome display at the same time for example. In cases where you have clearly different ethnicity parents, it'd be nice to be able to use that for improving the results too. As it is I have one living parent who is tested on 23andMe (different chip platform level though) but the chromosome painting doesn't let me choose by parent and seems to have a switch error on the phasing (More on my parent, where it's obvious), what's up with that? DNA Painter could probably correct that at least for display purposes.

Just have to keep doing the spreadsheet myself I guess

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany Prussia
    Quote Originally Posted by Donwulff View Post
    23andMe has had European shipping center for a while now, so the normal shipping and handling seems to be 9.99 EUR,
    Apparently that checkout page is only "Intended for sale and use in Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Sweden and the Netherlands" for some reason, they don't seem to care about the whole european market since when you go to the normal international checkout page that ships worldwide the paypal checkout link suddenly vanishes too. Guess i'll have to bail on this one after all unless their customer service also gives out direct paypal purchase links...

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA
    H

Ukraine Latvia France Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by hans84 View Post
    Apparently that checkout page is only "Intended for sale and use in Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Sweden and the Netherlands" for some reason
    Exactly, but in fact, they have sent my kit from their shipping center in Netherlands not from US! So they earn pretty good on shipping to European countries.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789