Thread: Living DNA Y haplogroup Predictor?

Living DNA Y haplogroup Predictor?

Hi,

Is there any free Haplogroup predictor that can accept the RAW Y DNA data from living DNA and predict the Y haplo? I know that Morley Predictor works for 23andme and FTDNA format.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Saad2016 For This Useful Post:

Amarelo (08-06-2019)

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z141 (BigY-700 pen
    mtDNA (M)
    H Subclade H47

Australia
    I'm also interested in this. I have his Autosomal and Ydna file but I dont know what his predicted Y line is. I would (hope) that it falls within mine. Any suggestions?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to juniper For This Useful Post:

spruithean (02-27-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC74348
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

United Kingdom Northumberland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    I'm also interested in this. I have his Autosomal and Ydna file but I dont know what his predicted Y line is. I would (hope) that it falls within mine. Any suggestions?
    Hi fellow I-Z141 (I'm at I-L338 a few steps down). I managed to be able to do this with my LivingDNA results to get it into a format that can be viewed by the Morley predictor, so this should work for you.

First, download the raw Y-DNA file from LivingDNA and open in excel. All the positive SNPs will be in the first column A (I have 595). Select all of the cells in the adjacent column B, type in "+" and then hit ctrl+enter and populate all of the cells in column B. Then in excel select all (ctrl+A), copy (ctrl+C) and paste (paste+V) into the Morley predictor here https://ytree.morleydna.com/ - check the not a robot and consent boxes and hit predict.

Caveat is that LivingDNA only reports the Y-SNPs that you're positive for. If your result for a SNP is negative or no call, it won't show in the LivingDNA raw data or be displayed in the Morley predictor (but you won't know which). Also, the Morley predictor uses the ISOGG tree and an experimental tree from 2013 and hasn't been updated since. So new branches that have been added since then won't be considered. But the Morley will filter out the ones that fall on the tree upstream and cut down on the remainder that you can work through by hand.

On my results, LivingDNA gave a positive SNP result for Z60, Z140, Z2535 down from I1 and well as categorizing some of the upstream SNPs into block (I1, I, IJ, IJK, etc.) so if you're positive for these, you should see them. But if you're negative or no call you won't (and you won't know which). Until LivingDNA starts including the negative and no calls in the raw data, it's a lot more difficult to assess what is and what is not covered by their test from a Y-DNA perspective. But since the chip is similar to the one used by version 5 of the 23andme test, I'd expect the coverage to be similar.

Further caveat is that mine is from LivingDNA's Orion chip. Coverage and raw data may be different on the newer Sirius chip.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

Amarelo (08-06-2019),  JMcB (02-27-2019),  spruithean (02-27-2019)

Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-Z141 (BigY-700 pen
    mtDNA (M)
    H Subclade H47

Australia
    Hey there deadly77. Thanks for that.

Ran it and he got I1a2a1 I1-Z60 (I1-Z62, I1-Z61) which is good, just wanted to know if he is also I1

LivingDNA gave me I1-Z60.

I'm waiting on my Bigy results, expected next month. previously done y111

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juniper For This Useful Post:

deadly77 (02-27-2019),  JMcB (02-27-2019),  spruithean (02-27-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-FGC74348
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1

United Kingdom Northumberland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by juniper View Post
    Hey there deadly77. Thanks for that.

Ran it and he got I1a2a1 I1-Z60 (I1-Z62, I1-Z61) which is good, just wanted to know if he is also I1

LivingDNA gave me I1-Z60.

I'm waiting on my Bigy results, expected next month. previously done y111
    All good. The LivingDNA test is very basic in terms of Y-DNA resolution. It'll do the job on getting the right major haplogroup (I1, R1b, etc) and in some cases a subclade but in most cases it won't include any Y-SNPs more recent than 3000 years ago. Your Big Y will get you a lot more resolution on the Y chromosome, but that's the primary purpose of such a test and the cost of a Big Y Y700 test and LivingDNA test are not equivalent anyway.

LivingDNA had a lot of problems with the Y-DNA component of their test in how it was read and reported when it first came out. I had a look at the raw data of two brothers who were confused by their results - one got I-M253 and one got I-Z2535 (both tested at LivingDNA at the same time) which made them worried that they weren't brothers - traced it down to a missing result for Z60 for the first one, so he just got reported as I-M253 with no subclade despite being positive for Z140 and Z2535 in his raw data. Presumably LivingDNA's decision tree stops when it runs out of options, say if all the readings at that level are negative or no call.

So if you're only seeing Z60 rather than I-Z141 in your profile, LivingDNA may be a no call on Z140. The Big Y will clarify all of this, so not to worry. Although it's not clear who "he" is that you're referring to and how this other person is connected to you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-27-2019)