Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Generation and down Irish English/Americans looking more Irish than the Irish

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland

2nd Generation and down Irish English/Americans looking more Irish than the Irish

Where I live, it's a fairly English area, but there appears to be multiple Irish descent English people and to me it is usually fairly obvious that they're Irish. You know, they've got the almond eyes, the pink pale skin and the dirty ginger hair.

To me, as a Northern Irishman this is quite odd because we don't actually have that many people who look like that. It seems to be more of a Southern Irish thing.

But I do find it quite odd that these English people would look so Irish, given that they're likely to be at least 2nd generation Irish. I also noticed this when I visited New York City.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Canada Netherlands United Kingdom Ireland France Cornwall
    I really don't think those phenotypic traits are restricted to Irish people. You can see that phenotype in Scots, English, Welsh, Dutch, Germans, Scandinavians, etc.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

ADW_1981 (01-24-2019),  FionnSneachta (01-23-2019),  glentane (01-23-2019),  Mandoos (01-24-2019),  morganman3 (01-23-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-25-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1b2
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-FGC6545-Y160102

Ireland
    Is dirty ginger meant to be a shade of ginger? The issue here is you don't actually know if they're of Irish descent unless you ask. You're making assumptions that they're of Irish descent. They could well be but you don't know. For example, Jess Glynne has pale skin and red hair but she is Ashkenazi Jewish and her surname was originally Goldstein.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e/H-c1d*)
    Maternal ancestor: McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon (H6a1b2/H6-a5a2a2)
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (01-25-2019),  Ruderico (01-31-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    This is based on skin complexion and eye colour also. It's fairly easy to spot stereotypical Irish people.

Even those who don't have ginger hair, often a give away is eye shape.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    This is based on skin complexion and eye colour also. It's fairly easy to spot stereotypical Irish people.

Even those who don't have ginger hair, often a give away is eye shape.
    I really don't agree at all. These phenotypic traits are not Irish exclusive. They are found elsewhere.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

glentane (01-23-2019),  morganman3 (01-23-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-25-2019),  Ruderico (01-31-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21

Almond eyes? Never heard that. The typical Irish eye shape is quite low from top to bottom, wide from side to side, moderately deep set, with the eyebrows set v close to the eyes on a sort of downwards slant from a high at the top of nose to a low at the outside nearer the ear - a sort of sad or slightly pained looking cast of eyes. It’s very dominant in Ireland, especially on women. Usually a deep blue or pale blue or pale green but quiet a few hazel in some areas. Almost never proper dark brown. The Irish eye type makes the eyes somehow prominent and twinkly despite not really being large and round
    Last edited by alan; 01-23-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by spruithean View Post
    I really don't agree at all. These phenotypic traits are not Irish exclusive. They are found elsewhere.
    Oh ok, so there is no thing as an Irish look then. Hence the British and Southern Irish are the same ethnicity.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21

Oh ok, so there is no thing as an Irish look then. Hence the British and Southern Irish are the same ethnicity.
    There was a no such thing as a British look though. The British have local looks with quite major differences between one area and another. It’s think the Scots, Irish and northern English are similar in skin tone (often pale pink and often freckled when young)and dominance of light eyes and that ginger undertones (so many ginger beards on guys with brown head hair) you mention. I think that is a lot rarer in southern England

Registered Users
    Sex
    mtDNA (M)
    H1
    Y-DNA (P)
    G2a

England
    Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    There was a no such thing as a British look though. The British have local looks with quite major differences between one area and another. It’s think the Scots, Irish and northern English are similar in skin tone (often pale pink and often freckled when young)and dominance of light eyes and that ginger undertones (so many ginger beards on guys with brown head hair) you mention. I think that is a lot rarer in southern England
    Can you give me an example of a look you associate with Southern England in particular? I think all phenotypes in Britain and Ireland are found all over, just at differing rates.
    Last edited by morganman3; 01-23-2019 at 11:41 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to morganman3 For This Useful Post:

moesan (03-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian

Did I say that British and Irish were the same ethnicity? Why are you equating physical appearance with ethnicity? There are so many phenotypes within ethnic groups that walking around and guessing that someone is "this" or "that" is just not a sound argument IMO.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spruithean For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (01-24-2019),  morganman3 (01-23-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-25-2019),  Ruderico (01-31-2019),  Saetro (01-27-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast