Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your LivingDNA Y haplogroup story (only)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA
    H5r*

Post your LivingDNA Y haplogroup story (only)

I'd be interested to browse other haplogroup stories, perhaps we can keep this thread just for the actual texts? This is the M222 one including the references.

" Haplogroup: R-M222

A genetic story of your fatherline

A predominantly Irish branch of the R-L21 fatherline.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the R-M222 group.

R-M222 is a branch of the larger R-L21 fatherline, which is itself a branch of the much larger R1b fatherline which was carried by waves of Indo-European expansions, and which is very common throughout Western Europe today as a result (ISOGG 2017). The R-L21 fatherline is associated with the northern Atlantic shores of Europe today, especially in parts of Britain and Brittany (Hay 2017). The R-M222 branch of this fatherline is most frequently found in Ireland (although it is also found occasionally outside Ireland in other parts of Britain) (Myres et al. 2011), especially in Belfast and County Mayo (Manco 2013). The literature, research, and theories behind M222 are a perfect example of how science is not immune to being caught up in mythos and politics.

Early theories on M222’s origins in Ireland links link the spread of this fatherline to the legendary Niall of the Nine Hostages, a supposed Fifth Century warlord based near present day Donegal (Manco 2013). The data does not support this however. Not only is M222 most common today in areas other than where Niall’s descendents are said to live today (if he did exist) (Manco 2013), but also it is likely that M222 arrived in Ireland much earlier than the Fifth Century, in either the dawn of the Bronze Age (Cassidy et al. 2016) or with the La Tene Iron Age culture (Manco 2013).

Who were the people who carried your signature?

There is some debate about whether the Indo-European Celts arrived in Ireland in the Bronze Age or the Iron Age (Anthony 2010). Nevertheless, the Celtic expansion that first started in the alps and radiated outwards as widespread as present-day Spain and Turkey did indeed reach the far corners of Britain (Hay 2017). As well as leaving a genetic legacy that can be traced all the way to you, the Celtic people that reached Britain brought with them a way of life and distinct cultural heritage that superseded much of what had gone before (Hill 1995).

There is archaeological evidence that the Iron Age Celts of Ireland built wooden trackways through bogs, similar to those dating from the same time in England, the Netherlands, and Germany (Casparie & Moloney 1994). Celtic Britain was connected to Romans, Greeks, and other European cultures via a vast trade network through which a number of goods including precious metals, slaves, and wine flowed (Simmons 2006). These Iron Age Celts also had a distinct art style (resurrected first in the Early Christian period in Ireland, and again in the Romantic Celtic Revival of the 18th and 19th Centuries) (Megaw & Megaw 1996), and a pantheon of Indo-European gods that had counterparts in the Norse, Slavic, Greek, and Indian Indo-European deities of that time (Cunliffe 1997).

Citations
    • Hay, M. 2017. Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA). [ONLINE]
    • ISOGG (2017) Y-DNA Haplogroup R and its Subclades. [ONLINE]
    • Myres, N.M., et al., 2011. A major Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b Holocene era founder effect in Central and Western Europe. European Journal of Human Genetics, 19(1), pp.95-101.
    • Casparie, W.A. and Moloney, A., 1994. Neolithic wooden trackways and bog hydrology. Journal of Paleolimnology, 12(1), pp.49-64.
    • Simmons, Victoria (2006). John T. Koch, ed. Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia. I. ABC-CLIO. p. 1615. ISBN 1-85109-440-7.
    • Hill, J.D., 1995. The pre-Roman Iron Age in Britain and Ireland (ca. 800 BC to AD 100): an overview. Journal of World Prehistory, 9(1), pp.47-98.
    • Cunliffe, Barry, (1997) The Ancient Celts. Oxford, Oxford University Press ISBN 0-19-815010-5, pp.202, 204–8. p. 183 (religion).
    • Anthony, D. W. (2007) The Horse The Wheel And Language. How Bronze-Age Riders From the Eurasian Steppes Shaped The Modern World, Princeton University Press.
    • Manco, J. 2013. Irish surnames and Y-DNA. [ONLINE]
    • Cassidy, L.M., et al., 2016. Neolithic and Bronze Age migration to Ireland and establishment of the insular Atlantic genome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113(2), pp.368-373. "
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    GEDMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA), 9427684 (GEDCOM) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  deadly77 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-24-2019),  Stephen1986 (01-24-2019),  Trelvern (01-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I-L338
    mtDNA
    J1c1

United Kingdom England England North of England Norfolk Scotland Ireland
    This is my one for Haplogroup I1, Subclade I-Z2535:

Common today across Northern Europe, especially in Scandinavia.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the I1 group.

By the standards of haplogroups found commonly in Europe, I1 is positively ancient. The first humans to colonise Europe between 28-45,000 years ago carried (amongst other fatherlines) the I fatherline. I1 is thought to have split off from this quite soon afterwards, possibly around 27,000 years ago (Hay 2017). Despite this though, it does not seem to have been a common fatherline in Europe during this era (the Middle Stone Age). Most skeletons that have been tested from this time by archaeologists tend to carry the closely related but different I* and I2 fatherlines instead (Hay 2017). The prevalence of I1 increases at the next major era - the New Stone Age (or Neolithic). This was a period of extreme transition for Europe, as hunter gatherer lifestyles were replaced by new fangled agriculture, brought by waves of migration from the south and east (Skoglund et al. 2012). Some of these farmers populated the Baltic, Northern Germany and Scandinavia, and it seems likely that they mixed with the original hunter gatherers, introducing I1 to these new Europeans (Hay 2017). I1 seems to have been very successful at the forefront of expansion, as it is most common today in these areas, being carried by approximately one third of Scandinavian men today (Lappalainen et al. 2009). ​

The Linear Pottery Culture and subsequent Funnelbeaker Culture are two major archaeological examples of groups of people who lived in Northern Europe at the time of transition from hunting and gathering to farming (Bickle & Whittle 2013; Hinz et al. 2012). Both groups are named for their distinctive pottery that can still be found today. The people from these culture groups were never one unified political entity, but instead are grouped together due to shared cultural traits and similar material goods.

Whilst they likely still relied heavily on hunting, these people were distinguished from their ancestors by the animals they herded and the crops they grew. Sheep, cattle, pigs, and goats were all kept for meat and (with the exception of pigs) milk (Bentley et al. 2004). We know from isotopic analysis of pottery shards that they used ceramic strainers to make cheese (Roffet-Salque et al. 2016), a calorie rich resource that would have been invaluable in helping to survive further migrations north. In fact, it is hypothesised that the lactose tolerance gene mutation that allows the majority of Europeans today to consume dairy products might have originated with these people during this time (Itan et al. 2009).

Citations
    Skoglund, P., et al., 2012. Origins and genetic legacy of Neolithic farmers and hunter-gatherers in Europe. Science, 336(6080), pp.466-469.
    Hinz, M., et al., 2012. Demography and the intensity of cultural activities: an evaluation of Funnel Beaker Societies (4200–2800 cal BC). Journal of Archaeological Science, 39(10), pp.3331-3340.
    Bickle, P. and Whittle, A. eds., 2013. The first farmers of central Europe: diversity in LBK lifeways. Oxbow Books.
    Bentley, R.A., Price, T.D. and Stephan, E., 2004. Determining the ‘local’87 Sr/86 Sr range for archaeological skeletons: a case study from Neolithic Europe. Journal of Archaeological Science, 31(4), pp.365-375.
    Hay, M. 2017. Haplogroup I1 (Y-DNA). [ONLINE]
    Lappalainen, T., et al., 2008. Migration waves to the Baltic Sea region. Annals of human genetics, 72(3), pp.337-348.
    Underhill, P.A., et al., 2007. New phylogenetic relationships for Y-chromosome haplogroup I: reappraising its phylogeography and prehistory. Rethinking the Human Revolution. Cambridge, UK: McDonald Institute Monographs, pp.33-42.
    Rootsi, S., et al., 2004. Phylogeography of Y-chromosome haplogroup I reveals distinct domains of prehistoric gene flow in Europe. The American Journal of Human Genetics, 75(1), pp.128-137.
    Lappalainen, T., et al., 2009. Population Structure in Contemporary Sweden—AY‐Chromosomal and Mitochondrial DNA Analysis. Annals of human genetics, 73(1), pp.61-73.
    Itan, Y., et al., 2009. The origins of lactase persistence in Europe. PLoS Comput Biol, 5(8), p.e1000491.
    Roffet-Salque, M., et al, 2016. From the inside out: Upscaling organic residue analyses of archaeological ceramics. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deadly77 For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  JonikW (02-01-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019),  spruithean (01-24-2019),  Trelvern (01-24-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    Haplogroup: E-M35
    Subclade: E-V68

Has many different sub-branches found across Africa, Europe, and the Near East.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the E-M35 group.

E-M35 is the major ancestral branch of the E1b1b fatherline, and includes almost every branch of the older E1b1b fatherline (ISOGG 2015). The only exception to this is a single branch of E1b1b found in Ethiopia (Hay 2017). This is consistent with the academic consensus that E1b1b itself originated somewhere in the Horn of Africa (Cruciani et al. 2004), probably around 30,000 years ago (Trombetta et al. 2015). E-M35 is estimated to have split off from E1b1b around 25,000 years ago (Trombetta et al. 2015). It likely originated not far from its ancestral fatherline, either in the Horn of Africa, North Africa, or in neighbouring areas in the Near East (Cruciani et al. 2004). The various sub-branches of E-M35 are often associated with the migration patterns of some of the first farmers (Lazaridis et al. 2016). The spread of E-M35 also seems to correspond to the spread of the Afro-Asiatic languages - modern examples of these include Hausa, Arabic, and Hebrew (Ehret et al. 2004). Connected to this, E-M35 and its sub-branches are commonly found in both Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jewish males (Behar et al. 2003). Today, E-M35 is found across a wide geographic area - it is most common along the coastline of the Mediterranean and the Horn of Africa, but is also found as far north as Germany and as far south as South Africa (Hay 2017).

The spread of E-M35 is a story that involves a plethora of characters, cultures, and civilisations spread out across around 25,000 years (Hay 2017). The first people to carry this fatherline would have been hunter gatherers, living in small groups and using stone tools to hunt (Hay 2017). The rise of pastoralism (a semi-nomadic lifestyle living alongside domesticated herds of animals) is often associated with E-M35 - it is likely that the fatherline spread with some of the first pastoralists into North Africa, the Middle East, and perhaps even parts of South Europe (Gebremeskel & Ibrahim 2014). The rise of agriculture in the Fertile Crescent led to mass migrations from the Middle East across Europe and North Africa - these migrations also seem to have dispersed E-M35 even further (Underhill 2002). It is at this point that we begin to also see the rise of civilisations. Some of these, such as the Phoenicians and Greeks, developed into great maritime cultures, crossing the Mediterranean to trade and colonise far from their homelands (Semino et al. 2004). Later, the Roman Empire expanded even further into Northern Europe. All of this would have been instrumental in making E-M35 as widespread as it is today (Hay 2017).
    Citations

Gebremeskel, E.I. & Ibrahim, M.E. (2014) Y-chromosome E haplogroups: their distribution and implication to the origin of Afro-Asiatic languages and pastoralism. European Journal of Human Genetics, 22(12), 1387-1392.
    Lazaridis, I., et al. (2016) Genomic insights into the origin of farming in the ancient Near East. Nature, 536(7617), 419-424.
    Hay, M. (2017) Haplogroup E1b1b (Y-DNA). [ONLINE]
    Trombetta, B., et al., 2015. Phylogeographic refinement and large scale genotyping of human Y chromosome haplogroup E provide new insights into the dispersal of early pastoralists in the African continent. Genome biology and evolution, 7(7), pp.1940-1950.
    Underhill, P.A., 2002. Inference of Neolithic population histories using Y-chromosome haplotypes. Examining the farming/language dispersal hypothesis. McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, Cambridge, pp.65-78.
    Semino, O., et al., 2004. Origin, diffusion, and differentiation of Y-chromosome haplogroups E and J: inferences on the neolithization of Europe and later migratory events in the Mediterranean area. The American Journal of Human Genetics, 74(5), pp.1023
    Behar, D.M., et al., 2003. Multiple origins of Ashkenazi Levites: Y chromosome evidence for both Near Eastern and European ancestries. The American Journal of Human Genetics, 73(4), pp.768-779.
    Cruciani, F., et al., 2004. Phylogeographic analysis of haplogroup E3b (E-M215) Y chromosomes reveals multiple migratory events within and out of Africa. The American Journal of Human Genetics, 74(5), pp.1014-1022.
    Ehret, C., Keita, S.O. and Newman, P., 2004. The origins of Afroasiatic. Science, 306(5702), pp.1680-1680.
    ISOGG (2017) Y-DNA Haplogroup E and its Subclades. [ONLINE].

Mine is very basic .
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  deadly77 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019),  Trelvern (01-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - BY135739
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Haplogroup: R-M198
    Subclade: R-Z283

An ancient branch of the R1a fatherline.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the R-M198 group.

R-M198 (also known as R1a1a or R-M512) is a branch of the larger R1a fatherline, a haplogroup that is found across Europe and West Asia (Horvath 2016). R1a is found in particularly high concentrations in Eastern Europe (approaching 60% in Poland for example) (ISOGG 2018). R1a is thought to have branched off from another fatherline (R1) shortly after the Last Glacial Maximum, the coldest era of the last Ice Age, approximately 26,500 years ago (Hay 2018). This probably occurred somewhere in the Eurasian steppeland, quite possibly in Siberia or Central Asia (Horvath 2016). R1a is thought to have been one of the predominant fatherlines in the early Bronze Age proto-Indo-Europeans that lived around the modern day Ukraine and migrated outwards as far westwards as Spain, and as far eastwards as India (Hay 2018).

We know this because we can now test the DNA found in bodies in archaeological sites, even from thousands of years ago. Ancient DNA testing has confirmed the presence of haplogroup R1a1a in samples from the Corded Ware culture in Germany (2600 BCE), from Tocharian mummies (2000 BCE) in Northwest China, from Kurgan burials (circa 1600 BCE) from the Andronovo culture in southern Russia and southern Siberia, as well as from a variety of Iron-age sites from Russia, Siberia, Mongolia and Central Asia (Hay 2018).

The group of Indo-Europeans that first forayed into much of Northeast and Central Europe are now known as the Corded Ware Culture (Lougas et al. 2016). This name was given to these people by archaeologists, due to the elaborate and intricate cord-like patterns found on much of their pottery (Bågenholm 1995). It is believed that these are some of the first Europeans to make widespread use of dairy products in their diet (Itan et al. 2009). We know this from chemical analysis of the shards of pottery that have been found (Roffet-Salque et al. 2016). It is likely that this is also where the gene that allows the majority of Europeans today to be able to digest lactose developed (Itan et al. 2009). It is thought that both the Germanic and Slavic language families were disseminated across Europe by the Corded Ware culture, who spoke a language that is an ancestor to both of these tongues (Renfrew 1989).

It is worth noting that like many groups of peoples dubbed ‘cultures’ by archaeologists, the Corded Ware people were not a unified lot. Across the area in which they were found (a broad swath of European territory which includes Germany, Scandinavia, and Eastern Europe) there were many different sub-cultures, each with their own customs, ways of life, unique rituals, and distinctive archaeological records that help distinguish them today.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019),  Trelvern (01-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

Romania European Union
    Here you go:

Haplogroup: I2
    Subclade: I-S17250

Dispersed across Europe by hunter gatherers, and then again by farmers.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the I2 group.

The I2 fatherline is part of the broader I family of fatherlines - the oldest major haplogroup to have originated in Europe (Hay 2017). I2 itself appears to have originated around 26,500 - 19,000 years ago, during a period known as the Last Glacial Maximum. The last major Ice Age was at its peak during this era, with much of the world’s moisture locked up in glaciers, and vast portions of Europe covered by ice or tundra (Clark et al. 2009). As the Ice Age receded, stone age hunter gatherers began to branch out across the continent, following the herds of animals that proliferated as the world warmed. I2 would have branched out across Europe at this time. The next major demographic shift in this part of the world happened with the advent of farming, where a wave of migration from the Middle East replaced much of the existing population. The I2 fatherline appears to have been one of the winners of this era. It’s high presence today in much of Eastern Europe and Sardinia implies that the haplogroup was absorbed into these migrations early on (Hay 2017). I2 is also found in lower frequencies throughout much of the rest of Europe (ISOGG 2017).

The first farmers of Europe entered Greece around 9000 years ago - it took almost another millenia for these proto-agricultural communities to spread across Southeast Europe (Minichreiter 2001). The Starčevo–Kőrös–Criș culture (actually an amalgamation of three similar cultures found in Serbia, Hungary, and Romania respectively) have been studied by archaeologists for decades, in hope of shedding some light on how Europe’s first farmers lived (Minichreiter 2001). Permanent settlements were established in order to be able to farm - these generally were small and close to water (Donau-Archäologie 2007). An analysis of the animal bones found at these sites showed that 74% belonged to sheep and goat, indicating that many of the populace were probably shepherds (Donau-Archäologie 2007). However, many other types of bones were found in smaller quantities including stork, hare, and pike (Donau-Archäologie 2007). This is one piece of evidence showing that hunting and fishing were still performed even after farming replaced hunter-gathering. Bones weren’t only discarded though - an array of bone tools found shows that these people utilised every part of the animals they reared for both meat and resources. The Starčevo–Kőrös–Criș people also were adept at making pottery - both intricately decorated vessels, and also figurines representing both humans and animals (Donau-Archäologie 2007).
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    MyHeritage: 92.2% Balkan, 5.8% English, 1.1% Eskimo, 0.9% Japanese
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Global 25: Anatolia_N 50.2%, EHG 32.6%, CHG 11.2%, WHG 3.8%, East Asian 2.2%
    Hidden Content

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019),  Trelvern (01-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA
    R-U106 S497
    mtDNA
    K1a

France Bretagne Kroaz Du
    Haplogroup: R-U106
    Subclade: R-S497

The Germanic branch of the R1b fatherline.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the R-U106 group.

R-U106 is sometimes referred to as the Germanic branch of the R1b fatherline, and this haplogroup is found in large concentrations in both Northwest Germany and the Netherlands (Hay 2017). It is important to note that R-U106 is not the only haplogroup associated with Germanic people. Nevertheless, charting the expansion and migration patterns of R-U106 is largely an exercise in charting the expansion and migration patterns of Germanic people over the last few millennia (Hay 2017). R-U106 would have been carried into Germany at the dawn of the Bronze Age, when massive Indo-European migrations were sweeping across much of Eurasia (Myres et al. 2011). Central Europe represents where two different branches of this expansion would have met again and mingled, with R-U106 (as a branch of R1b) being more common in the west of Germany, whilst R1a lineages are more common further east (Hay 2017).

Today, most R-U106 results found outside of Germany are a result of the Germanic migrations that have shaped much of Europe for the past two millennia (Hay 2017). The Völkerwanderung period helped lead to the collapse of the Roman Empire as many Germanic peoples migrated across former Imperial territories in the initial centuries of the first millennium, including the Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain (Myres et al. 2011).

The Anglo-Saxons who first settled Britain in the Fifth Century AD were not one united folk, but instead were numerous disparate tribes originating from modern day Saxony and Denmark (Lambert 2014). Although undoubtedly in part a series of invasions, there were also peaceful migrations alongside this as the new Germanic settlers moved into the power vacuum left by the newly departed Roman legionnaires (Richards 1992).

The Anglo-Saxon way of life dramatically altered British demographics, leading to a cultural and political overhaul that still influences British life today (Lambert 2014). The English language, law system, and many other key customs all stem from this time (Richards 1992). Yet there is much about the first Anglo-Saxons that would be alien to a British person today. They were pagans that worshipped a pantheon of gods and they performed great ship burials to commemorate their dead rulers (Lambert 2014). The most famous of these burials at Sutton Hoo was excavated by archaeologists, and showed amongst other things that the Anglo-Saxons were connected to trade routes spanning as far as the Byzantine Empire in Greece and Turkey (Bruce-Mitford 1983).
    Citations

Richards, J.D., 1992. Anglo-saxon symbolism. The Age of Sutton Hoo, pp.131-47.
    Lambert, T. (2014) Daily life in Anglo Saxon England
    Bruce-Mitford, R.L.S., 1983. The Sutton Hoo Ship-burial: pt. 1-2. Late Roman and Byzantine silver, hanging-bowls, drinking vessels, cauldrons and other containers, textiles, the lyre, pottery bottle and other items (Vol. 3).
    Hay, M. 2017. Haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA). [ONLINE]
    ISOGG (2017) Y-DNA Haplogroup R and its Subclades. [ONLINE]
    Myres, N.M., et al., 2011. A major Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b Holocene era founder effect in Central and Western Europe. European Journal of Human Genetics, 19(1), pp.95-101.
    Last edited by Trelvern; 01-24-2019 at 02:07 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trelvern For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  Helgenes50 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R2a-Y1383*
    mtDNA
    U7a3a-C15433T

England United Kingdom India India Punjab
    Haplogroup: R2
    Subclade: R-Y1383

R2 is most common in the Indian subcontinent.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the R2 group.

The R2 group is predominantly found today in the Indian subcontinent, particularly in individuals whose ancestors were members of middle and upper castes in the Indian caste system (Zerjal et al. 2007). It is most common towards the southeast in states such as Andhra Pradesh (Kivisild et al. 2003). It is also found in areas of Central and West Asia such as Iran, Georgia, and Turkey (Wells et al. 2001). It is also common in some groups of Romani gypsies, no surprise considering that they are descended from a group that migrated out of India over a millenia ago.

The R2 haplotype seems to have probably come to the Indian Subcontinent from Central Asia, perhaps alongside the R1a1 haplotype which is also commonly found here (Sengupta et al. 2006). Most theories today hold that R2 was probably carried into the subcontinent by the Indo-Iranians, a branch of the Indo-European people that spread out from the steppe at the dawn of the Bronze Age (Sengupta et al. 2006). R2 is just one of the many branches of the R fatherline which has been associated with the Indo-Europeans. It is thought that the Indo-Iranians may have reached India around 1500 BC (Anthony 2007). The Indian caste system is thought to have developed after their arrival, which may explain why Indo-Iranian fatherlines are more common in higher castes (Zerjal et al. 2007).

The Indo-Iranians originated from Bronze Age cultures such as the Sintashta and Andronovo Cultures that flourished where the western Eurasian steppe meets the great expanse of Siberia (Anthony 2007). They are characterised not just by their genetic signatures, but also the languages that they would have spoken. Originating from just a small area in Central Asia, Indo-European languages spread out across Eurasia as Indo-European people did, and form the basis of languages spoken from Great Britain to India today (Anthony 2007). This helps explain why some universal and ancient concepts such as “mother” have very similar words associated with them when comparing countries found thousands of miles from one another (being māter in Latin, mḗtēr in Ancient Greek, mātár in Vedic Sanskrit, mātar in Old Iranian, and māthir in Old Irish).

Indo-Iranians would have been at the forefront of cutting edge military technology. Being a Bronze Age society, they would have used metal for their swords, as well as for elaborate jewellery and decoration . They may have been the first people to truly master the usage of chariots, the tanks of the Bronze Age world. This would explain why chariots are heavily featured in the ancient Indian Vedic texts, which also are thought to have their origins in the mythology of the Indo-Europeans (Anthony 2007).

Citations
    Zerjal, T., et al. 2007. Y-chromosomal insights into the genetic impact of the caste system in India. Human genetics, 121(1), pp.137-144.
    Wells, R.S., et al. 2001. The Eurasian heartland: a continental perspective on Y-chromosome diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 98(18), pp.10244-10249.
    Anthony, D. W. (2007) The Horse The Wheel And Language. How Bronze-Age Riders From the Eurasian Steppes Shaped The Modern World, Princeton University Press.
    Sengupta et al., 2006. Polarity and temporality of high resolution Y-chromosome Distributions in India Identify Both Indigenous and Exogenous Expansions and Reveal Minor Genetic Influence of Central Asian Pastoralists.
    Kivisild et al., 2003. The Genetic Heritage of the Earliest Settlers Persists Both in Indian Tribal and Caste Populations.

Quote Originally Posted by sgdavies@hotmail.com View Post
    Haplogroup: R-M198
    Subclade: R-Z283
    It's a shame LivingDNA gave you a result like that. R-Z283 is a very broad result, and there are plenty of subclades for it on ISOGG and YFull that LivingDNA could've tested for, especially considering how incredibly significant R1a-Z283 is in Europe.
    Last edited by aaronbee2010; 01-24-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Clarified
    FATHER:

Y-DNA (ISOGG 2019): R2a2b1b2a1a1-Y1383*
    (Y154917-)

mtDNA: M5a1a

MATERNAL UNCLE:

Y-DNA (ISOGG 2019): R1b1a1b1b3a-Z2109

mtDNA: U7a3a-C15433T

Other Y-DNA lines:

MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER'S MOTHER: R1a1a1b2a1a2c-Y7

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronbee2010 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-24-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019),  sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Haplogroup: R-P312
    Subclade: R-CTS4065

Our analysis gives your haplogroup as R-P312.

Your earliest ancestors reached Britain and Ireland around 2500BC. Geneticists can tell that there was a very rapid expansion of population because P312 immediately divides into many subgroups, a sign that many sons of each man were living, as were the grandsons of these men. Lineages were multiplying as people multiplied and spread. The rate of fertility was exponential and your P312 markers expanded in every direction.

Along with skills making particularly fine style of decorated pottery they were also skilled goldsmiths. It appears that they could extract copper from ore and work it. This was probably seen as a magical process; the use of fire to change dull ore into bright and shiny objects such as jewelry and weaponry.

Farming was already important but your ancestors probably derived their tremendous prestige and power from their other skills.

Their decorated beakers have occasionally been found to contain the residue of beer and there is some evidence that the cultivation of barley increased after c2,500BC. However was more likely that their abilities as metalworkers powered their expansion. Copper is a comparatively soft metal but it could still be fashioned into fearsome weaponry. Axe-like halberds have been found. It may well be that the dominance of R1b lineages in general and R-P312 in particular came about because of an aggressive takeover of land. Your P312 marker, continued to cross the North Sea with early medieval invaders such as the Jutes, Angles, Frisians, Saxons and Norse Vikings, as well as German auxiliaries that came with the Roman legions.

No citations found[
    ATTACH=CONFIG]28584[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mum = 50% Irish, 50% Ukrainian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  JMcB (01-24-2019),  MacUalraig (01-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1a- Z283 - BY135739
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronbee2010 View Post
    Haplogroup: R2
    Subclade: R-Y1383

R2 is most common in the Indian subcontinent.

Your fatherline signature belongs to the R2 group.

The R2 group is predominantly found today in the Indian subcontinent, particularly in individuals whose ancestors were members of middle and upper castes in the Indian caste system (Zerjal et al. 2007). It is most common towards the southeast in states such as Andhra Pradesh (Kivisild et al. 2003). It is also found in areas of Central and West Asia such as Iran, Georgia, and Turkey (Wells et al. 2001). It is also common in some groups of Romani gypsies, no surprise considering that they are descended from a group that migrated out of India over a millenia ago.

The R2 haplotype seems to have probably come to the Indian Subcontinent from Central Asia, perhaps alongside the R1a1 haplotype which is also commonly found here (Sengupta et al. 2006). Most theories today hold that R2 was probably carried into the subcontinent by the Indo-Iranians, a branch of the Indo-European people that spread out from the steppe at the dawn of the Bronze Age (Sengupta et al. 2006). R2 is just one of the many branches of the R fatherline which has been associated with the Indo-Europeans. It is thought that the Indo-Iranians may have reached India around 1500 BC (Anthony 2007). The Indian caste system is thought to have developed after their arrival, which may explain why Indo-Iranian fatherlines are more common in higher castes (Zerjal et al. 2007).

The Indo-Iranians originated from Bronze Age cultures such as the Sintashta and Andronovo Cultures that flourished where the western Eurasian steppe meets the great expanse of Siberia (Anthony 2007). They are characterised not just by their genetic signatures, but also the languages that they would have spoken. Originating from just a small area in Central Asia, Indo-European languages spread out across Eurasia as Indo-European people did, and form the basis of languages spoken from Great Britain to India today (Anthony 2007). This helps explain why some universal and ancient concepts such as “mother” have very similar words associated with them when comparing countries found thousands of miles from one another (being māter in Latin, mḗtēr in Ancient Greek, mātár in Vedic Sanskrit, mātar in Old Iranian, and māthir in Old Irish).

Indo-Iranians would have been at the forefront of cutting edge military technology. Being a Bronze Age society, they would have used metal for their swords, as well as for elaborate jewellery and decoration . They may have been the first people to truly master the usage of chariots, the tanks of the Bronze Age world. This would explain why chariots are heavily featured in the ancient Indian Vedic texts, which also are thought to have their origins in the mythology of the Indo-Europeans (Anthony 2007).

Citations
    Zerjal, T., et al. 2007. Y-chromosomal insights into the genetic impact of the caste system in India. Human genetics, 121(1), pp.137-144.
    Wells, R.S., et al. 2001. The Eurasian heartland: a continental perspective on Y-chromosome diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 98(18), pp.10244-10249.
    Anthony, D. W. (2007) The Horse The Wheel And Language. How Bronze-Age Riders From the Eurasian Steppes Shaped The Modern World, Princeton University Press.
    Sengupta et al., 2006. Polarity and temporality of high resolution Y-chromosome Distributions in India Identify Both Indigenous and Exogenous Expansions and Reveal Minor Genetic Influence of Central Asian Pastoralists.
    Kivisild et al., 2003. The Genetic Heritage of the Earliest Settlers Persists Both in Indian Tribal and Caste Populations.

It's a shame LivingDNA gave you a result like that. R-Z283 is a very broad result, and there are plenty of subclades for it on ISOGG and YFull that LivingDNA could've tested for, especially considering how incredibly significant R1a-Z283 is in Europe.
    Hi aaronbee,

They did test downstream of R1a-Z283, it is just I was Negative for all known SNP below it, since then I have tested with he Big Y with FTDNA, and have discovered I was actually an unknown and novel Branch under of R1a-Z283, since then another Big Y tester has joined me on that Branch, seems we were perhaps originally Baltic ( maybe) but somehow made our way to Normandy, and came over with the Normans, today at least judging by STR results that this new Branch under R1a-Z283 is predominantly an Norman Irish Haplogroup, with mainly the Irish Eustace surname. There are other surnames associated again Irish but through maybe some paternal event and lost the Eustace surname.
    http://www.yfull.com/share/yreport/a...3fc7a30501293/
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgdavies@hotmail.com For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-24-2019),  laltota (01-24-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R2a-Y1383*
    mtDNA
    U7a3a-C15433T

England United Kingdom India India Punjab
    Quote Originally Posted by sgdavies@hotmail.com View Post
    Hi aaronbee,

They did test downstream of R1a-Z283, it is just I was Negative for all known SNP below it, since then I have tested with he Big Y with FTDNA, and have discovered I was actually an unknown and novel Branch under of R1a-Z283, since then another Big Y tester has joined me on that Branch, seems we were perhaps originally Baltic ( maybe) but somehow made our way to Normandy, and came over with the Normans, today at least judging by STR results that this new Branch under R1a-Z283 is predominantly an Norman Irish Haplogroup, with mainly the Irish Eustace surname. There are other surnames associated again Irish but through maybe some paternal event and lost the Eustace surname.
    http://www.yfull.com/share/yreport/a...3fc7a30501293/
    Thank you for clarifying that for me! I looked for your subclade on YFull and it's directly below Z283 at the moment (for now), so it's definitely as new as you say. I've edited my post accordingly. Progress is always nice to see!

There's another user here who received a broad subclade result, and he was quite disappointed. I wonder if the same reason applied to his case.
    FATHER:

Y-DNA (ISOGG 2019): R2a2b1b2a1a1-Y1383*
    (Y154917-)

mtDNA: M5a1a

MATERNAL UNCLE:

Y-DNA (ISOGG 2019): R1b1a1b1b3a-Z2109

mtDNA: U7a3a-C15433T

Other Y-DNA lines:

MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER'S MOTHER: R1a1a1b2a1a2c-Y7

20. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronbee2010 For This Useful Post:

sgdavies@hotmail.com (01-24-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast