Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever Recruit Any Good Y-DNA Matches Off of Ancestry?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland

Cool Ever Recruit Any Good Y-DNA Matches Off of Ancestry?

Thus far I have recruited two super y-chromosome dna matches off of Ancestry. The first one wasn't even an Ancestry DNA match but simply had my surname and was the descendant of someone who was in the right place at the right time to be a y-line relative. He turned out to be a 109/111 match and then a Big Y-500 match.

The second one came recently. He started out as a mere 9.2 cM Ancestry match, but again he shared my surname and had a good paper trail to a man I believe is my fifth great grandfather. It took me awhile to get him to answer my messages, but finally - after a prayer - he did, and - thank God! - he turned out to be a 110/111 match and has ordered the Big Y-500 test, as well. BTW, he also ordered Family Finder and is a 31 cM match there, with a longest block of 16 cMs, and shares matches with me to my dad, my youngest son, my youngest daughter, and to two people who also have paper trails to my fifth great grandfather (via one of his granddaughters).

So, Ancestry has been a tremendous blessing to me, because my y-chromosome line is my primary interest, and finding the immigrant ancestor on that line is the Holy Grail of my genetic genealogy quest.

Naturally, I had to get these two recruits to test with Family Tree DNA to find out all the y chromosome and Family Finder stuff. Thank God they've both been bitten by the genetic genealogy bug and have the financial wherewithal to go as far as they have.
    Last edited by rms2; 01-25-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

Adrian Stevenson (01-26-2019),  ADW_1981 (01-25-2019),  deadly77 (01-26-2019),  FionnSneachta (01-25-2019),  JonikW (01-26-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-25-2019),  Ruderico (01-25-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    I actually ended up getting my dad to do a Y-DNA test because of Ancestry. I was an autosomal match to a man with my surname and he saw that I shared his surname so contacted me on GEDmatch (in the hopes that it was my maiden name). Therefore, I'm actually a recruitee. We still don't know how we're connected. They are a 108/111 match and YFull estimates the terminal SNP to be from about 225 ybp or 1725.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-26-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-25-2019),  rms2 (01-26-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I don't have any matches on Ancestry of my dad's YDNA line (that I have yet identified, anyway) except for a couple of women who are his 2nd cousins. I've thought about asking them whether their brother or any male cousins would be willing to test (they grew up around those cousins while my dad did not, and only learned about them when we made contact on Ancestry), but haven't since they are so close I didn't know if it would be worthwhile.

I am trying to work up to asking a descendant of my two grandmothers' surname lines to test. One of my mom's surname line has tested already, but is still only R-M269/67 markers. It's nice because he is a match of another person who I had matched with on Ancestry and assumed matched on that line (it's not a common last name, and although he and I haven't found our common ancestry we know that our gg, etc. grandfathers lived near each other in Ohio in the early 1800s, and I'd always suspected they were likely related in some way). Given the Y match between the two, I know they are, although don't know if they are brothers or cousins or what.

All three of the names on the female sides are less common, so working on Y lines is likely to be very helpful. I'm not sure that's true with my dad's line. I'm currently trying to find someone descended from someone on that line who is not also descended from my gg-grandfather who came here from England, but it's difficult since all of his brothers died with no male descendants (except maybe the one who went to Australia, and his cousins are very hard to trace forward in the records once they left the farm in Shropshire). I have identified and communicated with some of the side of the family who stayed in England or went to Canada, but they are all connected through my gg-grandfather's mother's family.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 01-25-2019 at 07:21 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-26-2019),  rms2 (01-26-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    I've only tried a few times but I have to be more brave. I guess you have to play the numbers to find the eager beavers or maybe my approach has just been wrong. I made it a goal of mine to find the Y and Mito haplogroups for all my daughter's 3rd great grandparents

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-26-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-26-2019),  rms2 (01-26-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I have tried to encourage all of my dad's closest 37 marker matches (one each of 0, 2, and 3) to test more, and it was ignored (I think I screwed up the approach to the 0 guy, since I mentioned NPE as a possibility just to be complete, as he said his family was in Sussex forever, and my dad's family was in Shropshire and has a Welsh name, but my gg-grandfather and his brothers went to school in Sussex. I was merely giving all the information I know, since a 0 37-marker match could mean nothing much.

However, he has decided to upgrade to 111 (no notice to me, discovered today!), and is my dad's only 111 match at 4 GD, and is a 67 match at 1 GD. So this is exciting. I should email him again.

Since my dad's surname is Jones it could be a relatively late adoption and no reason to assume NPE, and this guy could just not know where his family was from pre Sussex. Last I checked he had no matches in his surname project. I'm curious what his relationship is to my dad's 6 and 7 marker matches at 67 (couldn't be closer than 5 and 6). They have a common surname to each other (different but close), but not to the new match nor my dad, but like my dad also a first name plus son derivation, and one of them traces the line back to Staffordshire.

I just double-checked to make sure my dad and the new 111 match (old 37 match) were not FF matches, and they were not, but his surname matched a surname on the family tree of my recent mystery UK matches (they were in Kent in the late 1600s, however). While this could make me think NPE on my side (which could be true), I am certain due to common matches that they connect through my paternal gg-grandfather's mother's line. Could be both and that could be why there's a match yet we can't find it, but I see no reason to think this is a strong possibility at this point.
    Last edited by msmarjoribanks; 01-26-2019 at 06:15 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-26-2019),  Judith (02-02-2019),  rms2 (01-26-2019),  timberwolf (01-26-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

You should try running the haplotypes of your dad and his matches through David Vance's SAPP Tool. It can give you a working idea of the possible relationships.

I've found it helpful.

Hidden Content

Y-DNA: R1b-FGC36981 (L21> DF13> Z39589> CTS2501> Z43690> Y8426> BY160> FGC36974>FGC36982 >FGC36981)

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-26-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-26-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC36981
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I've only tried a few times but I have to be more brave. I guess you have to play the numbers to find the eager beavers or maybe my approach has just been wrong. I made it a goal of mine to find the Y and Mito haplogroups for all my daughter's 3rd great grandparents
    IMHO you have to politely persist without being too pushy. I always begin by politely explaining what the y chromosome is and why it is so significant and useful for tracing one's paternal ancestry. I also try to think like the other person and suggest ways in which getting a y-dna test would be beneficial to him.

In my original post I did not mention my numerous failures, including those I successfully recruited (and even paid for) who did not match. But I think being proactive is the only way to advance in genetic genealogy. You've got to create the circumstances for what might look to others like serendipity but is really the product of your own hard work.

Hidden Content

Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

Red Hair Carrier:

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

JonikW (01-26-2019),  msmarjoribanks (01-26-2019),  Osiris (01-27-2019),  pmokeefe (01-26-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    I have tried to encourage all of my dad's closest 37 marker matches (one each of 0, 2, and 3) to test more, and it was ignored (I think I screwed up the approach to the 0 guy, since I mentioned NPE as a possibility just to be complete, as he said his family was in Sussex forever, and my dad's family was in Shropshire and has a Welsh name, but my gg-grandfather and his brothers went to school in Sussex. I was merely giving all the information I know, since a 0 37-marker match could mean nothing much.

However, he has decided to upgrade to 111 (no notice to me, discovered today!), and is my dad's only 111 match at 4 GD, and is a 67 match at 1 GD. So this is exciting. I should email him again.

Since my dad's surname is Jones it could be a relatively late adoption and no reason to assume NPE, and this guy could just not know where his family was from pre Sussex. Last I checked he had no matches in his surname project. I'm curious what his relationship is to my dad's 6 and 7 marker matches at 67 (couldn't be closer than 5 and 6). They have a common surname to each other (different but close), but not to the new match nor my dad, but like my dad also a first name plus son derivation, and one of them traces the line back to Staffordshire.

I just double-checked to make sure my dad and the new 111 match (old 37 match) were not FF matches, and they were not, but his surname matched a surname on the family tree of my recent mystery UK matches (they were in Kent in the late 1600s, however). While this could make me think NPE on my side (which could be true), I am certain due to common matches that they connect through my paternal gg-grandfather's mother's line. Could be both and that could be why there's a match yet we can't find it, but I see no reason to think this is a strong possibility at this point.
    Shropshire along the Welsh border was a very late adopter of surnames. I have read baptism records after 1700 which were still using the ap and vetch system.
    Good luck with making contact again! NPE is a neutral topic after some experience in the hobby but threatening at first. I recently found loads of enthusiasts who had never heard the term. They knew lots of others instead!
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (02-03-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Shropshire along the Welsh border was a very late adopter of surnames. I have read baptism records after 1700 which were still using the ap and vetch system.
    Very late in an English context.

In some parishes in north-west Wales patronymics were common until civil registration in 1837 and survived for some time. I can almost touch the patronymic - people I knew as a child would have known people who were the first in their family to have a surname.

The old patterns survive(d) informally.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

Judith (02-03-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-03-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Well, I tried it with a match on one of my maternal family names I am interested in and got "maybe, sounds interesting, what would we learn" and gave him my pitch about the benefits of testing YDNA. Annoyingly, this name does not have a surname project yet as I think that's often the most obvious benefit of testing. Ideally, I would find some others of the name to test who aren't already matches of mine, and I have no idea how one would go about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast