Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ever Recruit Any Good Y-DNA Matches Off of Ancestry?

  1. #11
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,020
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

    Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    Thus far I have recruited two super y-chromosome dna matches off of Ancestry. The first one wasn't even an Ancestry DNA match but simply had my surname and was the descendant of someone who was in the right place at the right time to be a y-line relative. He turned out to be a 109/111 match and then a Big Y-500 match.

    The second one came recently. He started out as a mere 9.2 cM Ancestry match, but again he shared my surname and had a good paper trail to a man I believe is my fifth great grandfather. It took me awhile to get him to answer my messages, but finally - after a prayer - he did, and - thank God! - he turned out to be a 110/111 match and has ordered the Big Y-500 test, as well. BTW, he also ordered Family Finder and is a 31 cM match there, with a longest block of 16 cMs, and shares matches with me to my dad, my youngest son, my youngest daughter, and to two people who also have paper trails to my fifth great grandfather (via one of his granddaughters).

    So, Ancestry has been a tremendous blessing to me, because my y-chromosome line is my primary interest, and finding the immigrant ancestor on that line is the Holy Grail of my genetic genealogy quest.

    Naturally, I had to get these two recruits to test with Family Tree DNA to find out all the y chromosome and Family Finder stuff. Thank God they've both been bitten by the genetic genealogy bug and have the financial wherewithal to go as far as they have.
    How did you determine that they were your Y-DNA matches? If you havenít done a Y-DNA test?

    Most of my matches of my surname are women and some are unconnected. I.e from Tipperary.

  2. #12
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    11,989
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    How did you determine that they were your Y-DNA matches?
    I did not know they were my y-dna matches until they tested with FTDNA and matched me.

    I recruited the first one off of Ancestry back in 2016 because the preponderance of the paper trail evidence indicated his most distant known y-dna ancestor was a y-chromosome line relative, possibly the half brother or first cousin of my own third great grandfather. He turned out to be a 109/111 match, my closest at that point. A subsequent Big Y test showed that he and I had the same terminal SNP downstream of the one we share with all the others in our surname line. A subsequent Big Y test of a second cousin of mine has since moved my terminal SNP one step further downstream, however.

    I recruited the second one because he is a descendant of a man I believed (and am now convinced) is my fifth great grandfather, and because he turned up as an autosomal dna match at Ancestry DNA and shares matches with me to a number of my paternal line relatives. He turned out to be a 110/111 y-dna match and now has a Big Y-700 on order.
    Last edited by rms2; 02-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.
     


    Hidden Content


    Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

    Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

    Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

    Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rms2 For This Useful Post:

     MikeWhalen (02-13-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-13-2019),  Torc Seanathair (02-13-2019)

  4. #13
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,020
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-L193(BY2634)

    Northern Ireland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2 View Post
    I did not know they were my y-dna matches until they tested with FTDNA and matched me.

    I recruited the first one off of Ancestry back in 2016 because the preponderance of the paper trail evidence indicated his most distant known y-dna ancestor was a y-chromosome line relative, possibly the half brother or first cousin of my own third great grandfather. He turned out to be a 109/111 match, my closest at that point. A subsequent Big Y test showed that he and I had the same terminal SNP downstream of the one we share with all the others in our surname line. A subsequent Big Y test of a second cousin of mine has since moved my terminal SNP one step further downstream, however.

    I recruited the second one because he is a descendant of a man I believed (and am now convinced) is my fifth great grandfather, and because he turned up as an autosomal dna match at Ancestry DNA and shares matches with me to a number of my paternal line relatives. He turned out to be a 110/111 y-dna match and now has a Big Y-700 on order.
    Oh right, that's fair enough. I'm waiting on my FTDNA Y-DNA 37 coming through anyhow.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nqp15hhu For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (02-13-2019)

  6. #14
    Registered Users
    Posts
    112
    Sex

    Yes, I HAVE gotten valid Y-DNA matches off the Ancestry test! By that I
    mean I suspected an all-male-line match to me and found that they matched the most
    downstream actual Y chromosome SNP that Ancestry tests. Yes, they do lightly
    cover the Y!

    To do this, of course, you have to have them send you the raw data. I have been able to
    get a few suspects to send that to me.

    Doug McDonald
    FTDNA Clan Donald USA (MacDonald) project co-admin

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to dtvmcdonald For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (02-14-2019)

  8. #15
    Registered Users
    Posts
    41
    Sex
    Location
    San Francisco
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-P37
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2a1 T152C!

    Wish I could recruit someone and would gladly pay for their testing, sadly my father and brother are the last direct male descendants of my 3GGF who just appeared in Oswego New York about 1850, supposedly from England.

    We have a very common surname and donít match any others with that name. Hopefully one day we will get a match but for now there is no hope.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to JenneR For This Useful Post:

     rms2 (02-14-2019)

  10. #16
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    11,989
    Sex
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-DF41>FGC36981
    mtDNA (M)
    U5a2c3a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R1b-DF27>DF83
    mtDNA (P)
    K1a1

    Wales Ireland Scotland France Bretagne England Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by JenneR View Post
    Wish I could recruit someone and would gladly pay for their testing, sadly my father and brother are the last direct male descendants of my 3GGF who just appeared in Oswego New York about 1850, supposedly from England.

    We have a very common surname and don’t match any others with that name. Hopefully one day we will get a match but for now there is no hope.
    There is hope, especially if you stay on the lookout for potential matches and are proactive in trying to recruit them.

    I've been blessed with some really good, informative y-dna matches, but they didn't come all at once or overnight. I got my initial 37-marker test results in May of 2006, and the big breakthrough match I mentioned above just came in on January 4th of this year.

    It's been a long, steady slog, often inch by inch, learning a little bit here and a little bit there.
     


    Hidden Content


    Y-DNA: R1b-L21> DF13> Z39589> DF41> FGC5572> BY166> FGC36974> FGC36982> FGC36981

    Additional Data:
    Lactase Persistent:
    rs4988235 AA (13910 TT)
    rs182549 TT (22018 AA)

    Red Hair Carrier:
    Arg160Trp+ (rs1805008 T) aka R160W

    Dad's mtDNA: K1a1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Ancestry new calculator not good
    By Jeep in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM
  2. Possible Glitches in Ancestry.DNA matches?
    By Webb in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 09-15-2018, 10:54 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 12:25 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-22-2017, 09:37 PM
  5. Ancestry DNA matches. How many do yoy have?
    By Tz85 in forum AncestryDNA
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-06-2017, 02:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •