Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nebula Genomics

Registered Users

Nebula Genomics

Anyone know much about this? Just heard about them yesterday. Seems pretty affordable but Iím not sure what the benefits could be. Thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KCW For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (01-25-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Polish/British Isles
    Y-DNA
    R-A9185
    mtDNA
    H1

Poland England Ireland Munster
    According to their website, they are currently offering "Low-pass sequencing" https://www.nebula.org/faq
    Low-pass sequencing reads out your genome at a lower depth than clinical-grade sequencing (0.4x vs. 30x average coverage).
    What is Low-pass sequencing good for? Some discussion here:
    https://twitter.com/matthewherper/st...768194?lang=en
    However, the Nebula website claims:
    Clinical-grade Whole Genome Sequencing will become available in Q1 2019
    YFull: YF14620 (Dante Labs 2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    However, the $99 sequencing, at least for now, is about 0.4X, not nearly as accurate, although it does provide plenty of valuable information.
    Less than half of the genome has 1x coverage? Hard pass. You need 8x coverage minimum to average 4x on the Y chromosome. That's the generally acceptable number of reads to do SNP calling. Don't consider anything with less than 15x coverage unless it's free, IMO.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

curiousII (01-25-2019),  Jatt1 (02-08-2019),  pmokeefe (01-25-2019),  timberwolf (01-25-2019),  vettor (01-26-2019)

Registered Users

Very interesting and thanks for the information. What’s their angle then?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    Mostly to build a large data set to look at populations. The error margins aren't as worrying when you have hundreds of thousands of samples to look at and attempt to make inference to the trait information they are trying to collect from donors as well.

This isn't what those of us interested in genetic genealogical or even anthropological applications need to compare a small groups.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (01-25-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L21-DF21-S5456
    mtDNA
    H1C1

Ireland European Union
    The Innovation is in the use of the Blockchain to provide a secure audit trail for Genomics. The tester is also compensated each time their genome is used for research.
    Or as they say on their web site
    Why Nebula?
    Corporations are making billions off your health data without your permission. At Nebula, we give you complete control of your data. You can choose to keep it private or you can get rewarded for securely and anonymously sharing with medical researchers.

https://www.nebula.org/
    Gerard Corcoran
    R1b-DF21-S5456-S6166, H1C1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Heber For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (01-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z142
    mtDNA
    H10g

I got it for free and am currently waiting for results.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to teepean47 For This Useful Post:

reignman (02-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Seems pretty Nebulous to me. Doing all available surveys and profiles, including giving them your DNA profile from another service already, nets you 550 points out of the 1000 you need to get the 0.4X sequencing for free. Which means you just gave them ALL your data for free, and still need to pay $99 - about double the going rate for microarray based test that's usable and you don't need to consent to anybody else using the data.

But wait, what's that, you can get other people to sign up to earn points?! Tbh, I'm half tempted to check if I can just make fake e-mail accounts to sign up. Do they have to pay and get tested for me to get the credit, or is everybody just going to enroll dummy accounts? Due to various issues with it, I almost think this sort of pyramid marketing should be illegal, individuals will do the spamming for them without disclosing that they get compensated, and most will have to pay the full price anyhow.

On my home screen I'm seeing unfinished tasks "Refer a Friend" and "Refer Three Friends", so presumably I can only refer four friends and get to 950 points, still have to pay $99. Is this a scam or what? Regardless, I did sign up as soon as that popped up, half just out of curiosity and half because there was implication it would actually be possible to earn the results for free. You know, like Genes for Good or something.

I haven't seen them motivate or justify the blockchain model in any way, either, a word or two about how it's supposed to benefit the user, or prevent an evil alien overlord from running off with the saliva sample to make thousand clones of me, or whatever people are fearing about with the existing testing companies would be useful.

Registered Users

Ordered a test a while ago and still haven’t received it. Wish I hadn’t. Waste of 99$. Will wait a week and then ask for a refund.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z142
    mtDNA
    H10g

Quote Originally Posted by KCW View Post
    Ordered a test a while ago and still haven’t received it. Wish I hadn’t. Waste of 99$. Will wait a week and then ask for a refund.
    You should have a USPS tracking number if they have actually shipped it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast