Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib

The Punjab

In Canada in Toronto or Vancouver, it's normal to hear people asking *are you Indian or Poonjabi*. Same way in UK when someone sees your kara, they know you're Sikh, and Sikhs have a very positive and separate image from other Indians there.

My sister who lives in Australia in suburbs of Melbourne, lives in Punjabi dominated area. I'll ask her how's the culture there.

Also I agree with censored here, Hindu Punjabis are very patriotic, as you saw agent lime stating. Because they've Hindu identity first over Punjabi, which connects them to Hindustan aka India. They even chose Hindi over Punjabi as their mothertongue during census post partition. Sikhs dominate Punjab so you see more strong ethinic identity in them.

As aaronbee said, if you're from urban setting in India, you can talk to anyone from India about nationwide issues. But that's new post independence phenomenon. My malayali and tamil friends felt alien at first because very different cultural setting, and the language barrier. They did not speak Hindi. And most of them were christians which made the different feeling bigger. I don't know if everyone agrees with me on this, but speaking same language can help you associate a lot even if you're from different parts.
    Last edited by MonkeyDLuffy; 01-28-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-28-2019),  Adam A (01-29-2019),  agent_lime (01-28-2019),  Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  Kulin (02-19-2019),  kush (01-28-2019),  laltota (01-28-2019),  poi (01-28-2019),  Ryukendo (01-28-2019),  Saad2016 (01-29-2019),  Sapporo (01-28-2019),  traject (01-28-2019),  Zuran (01-28-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Z5921
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Censored View Post
    From what Ive seen Pakistani Punjabis and Hindu Indian Punjabis identify strongly with their respective nations
    There are very clear political, social and historical reasons for this. One thing I’d like to make clear is that Hindu Punjabis have a very different perspective and ethnoreligius identification than Sikhs.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-28-2019),  Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  Kulin (02-19-2019),  laltota (01-28-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-28-2019),  traject (01-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L1a1/R-L295
    mtDNA (M)
    M30

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDLuffy View Post
    In Canada in Toronto or Vancouver, it's normal to hear people asking *are you Indian or Poonjabi*. Same way in UK when someone sees your kara, they know you're Sikh, and Sikhs have a very positive and separate image from other Indians there.

My sister who lives in Australia in suburbs of Melbourne, lives in Punjabi dominated area. I'll ask her how's the culture there.

Also I agree with censored here, Hindu Punjabis are very patriotic, as you saw agent lime stating. Because they've Hindu identity first over Punjabi, which connects them to Hindustan aka India. They even chose Hindi over Punjabi as their mothertongue during census post partition. Sikhs dominate Punjab so you see more strong ethinic identity in them.

As aaronbee said, if you're from urban setting in India, you can talk to anyone from India about nationwide issues. But that's new post independence phenomenon. My malayali and tamil friends felt alien at first because very different cultural setting, and the language barrier. They did not speak Hindi. And most of them were christians which made the different feeling bigger. I don't know if everyone agrees with me on this, but speaking same language can help you associate a lot even if you're from different parts.
    Just want to clarify that Im talking about the children generations of families who are 1st/2nd gen usually. The parents would not be as open-minded

Students would have a different perspective. All students stick to their own ethnic groups, Nepali, Punjabi what have you

There is also a Sikh community in Woolgoolga who are multi generational farmers and have their own community. For them other South Asians would be relatively foreign too as they are the only people of South Asian descent in their region

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bmoney For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  laltota (01-28-2019),  poi (01-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Khatri/J&K/Multan
    Nationality
    India
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a
    mtDNA (M)
    U2b

India United States of America India Punjab Jammu and Kashmir

Hindu Punjabis from our generation are the least religious folks I know in India. Neither have most given up Punjabi. I would say there is rivalry between the Sikhs and Hindus that has caused some differences. Regardless, we consider all Punjabis as 'apne logan' and we freely marry Sikhs. Our biggest driving factor is money, then status. We care less about religion, national, regional identity. The status quo in India helps our communities immensely and have made them rich. To put it in another way we were opportunists before and after independence. We will support whatever will give us those opportunities.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to agent_lime For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-28-2019),  poi (01-28-2019),  Zuran (01-28-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jatt Sikh
    Nationality
    American & Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M357 > Z5921
    mtDNA (M)
    HV2a3
    Y-DNA (M)
    L-M27
    mtDNA (P)
    R0

United States of America California Republic Canada India Punjab Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    The funny thing is that before I came on this forum I used to think that Punjabis were the proudest Indians ever. Back in school I knew one Hindu Punjabi kid who was probably the proudest Indian I ever met, and of course the influence of them on the rest of the country is vast.
    Punjabi Hindus and Punjabi Sikhs are not one people in terms of culture or identity. One group is much more proud of their ethnoreligious background than the other. Punjabi music culture makes this quite obvious. For example, it’s heavily influenced by Bhangra which is a Punjabi folk dance mostly associated with village culture. On the other hand, Punjabi Hindus make up a disproportionate percentage of urban Punjabis. This urban vs rural divide is clearly obvious to me but it seems others are not as aware of it.

I’m familiar with some Hindu Khatris and Sikh Khatris freely intermarrying but that’s not applicable to most Hindu and Sikh Punjabis.
    Last edited by Sapporo; 01-28-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    pegasus modeling:
    sample": "Punjabi_Jat:Sapporo_AGUser",
    "fit": 1.1506,
    "IRN_Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3": 43.33,
    "TKM_Gonur1_BA": 31.67,
    "RUS_Sintashta_MLBA": 25,
    "closestDistances": [

avatar credit goes out to aaronbee2010

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sapporo For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-28-2019),  agent_lime (01-28-2019),  Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  laltota (01-28-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-28-2019),  prashantvaidwan (01-28-2019),  Saad2016 (01-29-2019),  Zuran (01-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Jatt)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2b (R-Y136220)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1

Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
    It’s not about getting triggered or not. I have a certain self and ethnic identity and Indian is not part of it. So having someone lumping you into a group with millions of other individuals without even considering your opinion is quite offensive.

To me, identifying as South Asian or wearing a Kara doesn’t automatically make you “Indian.” Also, I’ll have to inquire with my father but as far as I know, he got a long term visa after the Indian embassy revoked his citizenship. Not sure if it was an OCI booklet or “passport.”
    Your father will have an OCI card (OCI booklet, popularly known as OCI card) which would allow him to travel to India without needing to get a visa every time. India does not allow dual citizenship, so your father will not have any kind of Indian passport after he obtained another citizenship. Some people keep the Indian passport by not returning it after acquiring another citizenship, but this is illegal per India, and they will take the passport if they find out later when it is being renewed or at an airport etc and it could make person liable to imprisonment and fines.

India treats former Indian citizens, or those with Indian ancestry very poorly compared to most other countries, and much worst than similar Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are treated by those countries. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis can also keep dual or multiple citizenship like UK, Canada and many others.

NRI means non-resident Indian. These are Indians working overseas temporarily and those permanently settled abroad but who keep their Indian citizenship.
    Some others are considered "NRI" for other purposes e.g. they can acquire an OCI card, and also open NRI bank accounts in India, inherit and keep ancestral farm land etc
    Last edited by laltota; 01-28-2019 at 02:49 PM.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to laltota For This Useful Post:

bmoney (01-28-2019),  Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  khanabadoshi (01-28-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-28-2019),  parasar (01-28-2019),  poi (01-28-2019),  Sapporo (01-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi (Jatt)
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2b (R-Y136220)
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a1

Well here is my input...I don’t really like to identify as anything but you can’t escape labels. I’m American because I’m a citizen of this country and born and raised here, and basically more American than anything else culturally. Although I don’t have any great pride about that I realize it makes me American. At the same time I’m also genetically Indian so I can’t say I’m not that either. So there’s still restrictions regardless of what we identify as. But I don’t believe you can be only one thing or the other. That’s absurd.

I also have a few things I would like to say about that Sikh ethnonationalist sentiment but it will probably lead to an argument, and I don’t care enough about the issue to get involved.
    Interesting... can you PM me the few things you would like to say? I will keep your secret.
    But how would you know anything about "Sikh ethnonationalist sentiment" other than reading things online?
    Last edited by laltota; 01-28-2019 at 03:06 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laltota For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  MonkeyDLuffy (01-28-2019),  Ryukendo (01-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1

United States of America India Kingdom of Travancore
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapporo View Post
    Punjabi Hindus and Punjabi Sikhs are not one people in terms of culture or identity. One group is much more proud of their ethnoreligious background than the other. Punjabi music culture makes this quite obvious. For example, it’s heavily influenced by Bhangra which is a Punjabi folk dance mostly associated with village culture. On the other hand, Punjabi Hindus make up a disproportionate percentage of urban Punjabis. This urban vs rural divide is clearly obvious to me but it seems others are not as aware of it.

I’m familiar with some Hindu Khatris and Sikh Khatris freely intermarrying but that’s not applicable to most Hindu and Sikh Punjabis.
    I think it was monkey who told me earlier that there is no caste system in Punjab. This comment shows that's not true.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Punjabi Sikh Ramgarhia
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-Y2568*
    mtDNA (M)
    M3a2

India Punjab Canada Azad Baluchistan Sikh Empire Nishan Sahib
    Quote Originally Posted by Kart View Post
    I think it was monkey who told me earlier that there is no caste system in Punjab. This comment shows that's not true.
    I think you're reading only partial comments of ours. I said there is no Varna caste system in Punjab. There is Biradari system in punjab where everyone looks down on each other, rather than having brahmin like priest on top and rest on bottom. I'd recommend to read my posts properly before calling my name which only creates misunderstanding.
    Last edited by MonkeyDLuffy; 01-28-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Deg Teg Fateh - Victory to Charity and Arms

Punjab, Punjabi, Fateh.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

Kart (01-28-2019),  Raza94 (01-29-2019),  Ryukendo (01-28-2019),  traject (01-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Malayalee(Nair)
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    M3d1

United States of America India Kingdom of Travancore
    I think you're reading only partial comments of ours. I said there is no Varna caste system in Punjab. There is Biradari system in punjab where everyone looks down on each other, rather than having brahmin like priest on top and rest on bottom. I'd recommend to read my posts properly.
    That's still discrimination. "Separate but equal" kind of thing.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kart For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (01-28-2019),  poi (01-28-2019),  purohit (01-28-2019)

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast