Thread: Big Y-700

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Big Y-700

I received this message for FTDNA-admins:

Introducing Big Y-700 & Big Y Block Tree

Dear Group Project Administrators,

We are excited to announce the introduction of Big Y-700, a substantial upgrade to our Big Y-500 product. Along with the addition of 200 STRs, we have made significant updates across the board, including the new Big Y matching tool that was introduced last week.

A Big Y-700 white paper will be available with further details in a few weeks. Testers with Big Y-500 results pending will instead receive Big Y-700 results at no additional charge. These users will be emailed the expected delivery dates that are listed below in the FAQs section. This email will go out later this morning, Jan 30th, to all testers with pending results.

If you have further questions about Big Y-700 or specific kits, please contact the Group Project Administrator Team at groups@ftdna.com.

Big Y-700 at a glance
    Expanded NGS targeting of genealogically useful Y-chromosome regions
    Revamped NGS chemistry that provides more uniform coverage within a much broader and targeted region of the Y
    More consistent coverage improves comparison between any two results and allows more of the identified SNPs to be placed on the tree
    Increased number of STR markers provides more data points on paternal lineages and can help identify family-specific variants

Big Y Block Tree Matching Tool

In case you missed our announcement last week, we again wanted to introduce the new visualization tool for your Big Y matches called the Block Tree. This tool makes it easier to understand how the paternal lineages of you and your matches relate to each other. To read more about the new Big Y Block Tree, visit the Learning Center.

FAQs

How much will Big Y-700 cost?

Who gets the automatic upgrade to Big Y-700?
    All customers who placed Big Y-500 orders on or after Nov 1st, 2018
    All customers who placed Big Y-500 orders prior to Nov 1st, 2018 and have not yet received results

When will my results be ready?

Come March, we expect Big Y lab processing time to be further streamlined, significantly reducing the turn around time for results to 2-4 weeks.

Will all kits that have a Big Y-500 test receive the automatic upgrade to Big Y-700?
    No. The additional information provided in Big Y-700 comes from updates and improvements in the overall design of the test itself, not just from improved variant calling and user interface, therefore, tests will need to be rerun using the new chemistry. For this reason, any kits that already have Big Y-500 results will not receive the automatic upgrade to Big Y-700.

How do I upgrade from a Big Y-500 to Big Y-700?
    If you have already received Big Y-500 results, we expect to have an upgrade available to purchase by mid-March. We will notify Big Y-500 customers via email when the upgrade is available to purchase.

Keep in mind, when upgrading your kit, you must have a sample stored with us that can be tested or have the ability to send us another sample for testing.

If I already have Big Y-500 results, once I receive my new Big Y-700 results, can the results of the two tests be “merged” to eliminate a region’s no-call results if the other test has reads in that region?
    Due to the extreme uniformity of the new Big Y-700 chemistry, we do not anticipate this being an issue.

Are some of the currently reported STR values above 111 expected to change?
    It is possible that the improved test process will provide different STR values.

Who has access to the new Big Y Block Tree Matching Tool?
    Anyone with a Big Y test, regardless of version.

Will there be a tool for Group Project Administrators to compare the STRs?
    We are currently exploring Big Y-500 and Big Y-700 results report tools for Group Project Administrators and will work to implement the best options as quickly as possible.
    I think a lot of people were hoping Big Y would get upgraded, but we will have to wait and see how much of an improvement this really represents. I had been wondering for a week or two why there were no Big Y's returning from the holiday sale, I guess this explains.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rafc For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-30-2019),  FionnSneachta (01-30-2019),  fostert (01-30-2019),  Hando (02-04-2019),  JMcB (01-30-2019),  lgmayka (01-30-2019),  NiloSaharan (01-30-2019),  Osiris (01-30-2019),  Ruderico (01-30-2019),  timberwolf (01-30-2019),  Trojet (01-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northwest Iberian
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y31991 > PF4428
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Just as I'm about to get my Big Y-500. Oh boy...
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA plot Hidden Content ; Western Europe-only Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

JMcB (01-30-2019),  rms2 (01-31-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA
    J-L283>Z1296

Albania United States of America Kosovo European Union
    Certainly seems like the Y coverage will increase, which is great. Perhaps based on WGS that will only report the Y portion.

Big Y-700 at a glance:

Expanded NGS targeting of genealogically useful Y-chromosome regions

Revamped NGS chemistry that provides more uniform coverage within a much broader and targeted region of the Y

More consistent coverage improves comparison between any two results and allows more of the identified SNPs to be placed on the tree

Increased number of STR markers provides more data points on paternal lineages and can help identify family-specific variants
    I also see come March they're estimating 2-4 week turnaround time!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trojet For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (01-30-2019),  JMcB (01-30-2019),  rms2 (01-31-2019),  wlk (01-30-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA
    H5

Good news - they move off of the targeted y-enhancement protocol to what looks like a standard WGS acquisition process.

Bad news - they are marketing STRs over % increase of genealogically relevant SNPs. The STRs that are being called are still limited by the short read sequencing technology. This means they will be slow mutators and one will need a bunch of tests to across the family tree to understand if any of those are relevant. What we need to understand is whether the number of reported SNPs will close the current gap against FGC's Elite or 20x+ WGS product results. Will the change in y-coverage be sufficient to push the years/SNP down to say 90 from the current 140ish range?

Good/bad news - pricing structure. With 15x WGS options available at a lower price point we can say that FTDNA has room for sale pricing. If FTDNA provides only a "filtered" ychromosome BAM for the raw data what happened to all of the rest that was acquired during the sequencing run? So much for your full mtDNA result that was in the raw data.

With the increased y-coverage will FTDNA continue its practice of ignoring specific regions for SNP discovery and placement on the block tree? Will FTDNA finally get around to reporting and using the 1-2 new INDELs which are present in each BigY result?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cofgene For This Useful Post:

aaronbee2010 (01-30-2019),  Hando (02-04-2019),  JMcB (01-30-2019),  lgmayka (01-30-2019),  wlk (01-30-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland
    Any idea how useful the upgrade will be and how much it's likely to cost ?
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

Hando (02-04-2019),  JMcB (01-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    Any idea how useful the upgrade will be and how much it's likely to cost ?
    That's the biggest question for me also. I suspect improvement for people who have already done Big Y will be marginal, and I fear the cost of upgrading will be high since they have to run a whole new test (except the Y111 part).
    Some major sub V13 SNPs were not covered in the big Y, so I'm curious for the first returns to see if that changed.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rafc For This Useful Post:

digital_noise (01-30-2019),  Hando (02-04-2019),  JMcB (01-30-2019),  wlk (01-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2

Ireland
    I would be very interested in upgrading depending on the price. At the moment, the terminal SNP that has been given to my dad by FTDNA is dated from around 1600 AD but my dad has no unnamed variants. YFull found named a more recent SNP with a match. It would be interesting to see if the Big Y-700 can find new unnamed variants and could be very helpful in my case. The biggest challenge would be to get my dad to do a swab for me again but he should be more easily persuaded when he's already submitted his DNA.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Roscommon, Galway, Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

Hando (02-04-2019),  JMcB (01-30-2019)

Registered Users

I wonder how much this will delay people who are currently awaiting their results?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-DF49
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

United Kingdom European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I would be very interested in upgrading depending on the price. At the moment, the terminal SNP that has been given to my dad by FTDNA is dated from around 1600 AD but my dad has no unnamed variants. YFull found named a more recent SNP with a match. It would be interesting to see if the Big Y-700 can find new unnamed variants and could be very helpful in my case. The biggest challenge would be to get my dad to do a swab for me again but he should be more easily persuaded when he's already submitted his DNA.
    They probably still have enough left over from the first sample, FTDNA will advise if you ask them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

Hando (02-04-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    7/8 European,1/8 Hawaiian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-L2>BY3493>BY4242
    mtDNA
    H3h

United States of America Germany Italy Azores Slovakia Hawaii
    Quote Originally Posted by rafc View Post
    Some major sub V13 SNPs were not covered in the big Y, so I'm curious for the first returns to see if that changed.
    That would be nice. My uncle's V13 and I got his sample in and am not just waiting till I have enough to spring for the Big Y test. Hopefully they'll still do some sort of sale come Christmas 2019.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

Hando (02-04-2019)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast