Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 537

Thread: Big Y-700

  1. #11
    Registered Users
    Posts
    752
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3440-Y160102
    mtDNA
    H6a1b2f

    Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    They probably still have enough left over from the first sample, FTDNA will advise if you ask them.
    I think I've used up that sample for all its worth. I ordered a Y-37, then a Big Y, a mtFull, a Family Finder and now I'm awaiting a STR marker result. After the Big Y, I just decided to get the other tests since at the time I thought that I'd maxed out Y testing and thought that I might as well order some other tests while they have the sample. I ordered the STR test in September so either they're trying their best to get enough DNA out of it or another sample is needed. I think the latter is most likely. I didn't query it because if it is a case that they've run out of sample, I wasn't bothered enough to hassle my dad about taking another swab for me and sending it back. If the upgrade is affordable, then I'll query about the situation with the STR test and request a new swab.
    Ancestry: Ireland (Paper trail ≅ 81.25% Roscommon, 12.5% Galway, 6.25% Mayo)
    Paternal ancestor (Y): Kelly b. c1830 in Co. Roscommon (Uí Maine)
    Father's mtDNA: Fleming b. c1831 in Co. Roscommon (H27e1)
    Maternal ancestor (mt): McDermott b. c1814 in Co. Roscommon
    Paternal great grandfather (mt): Connella b. c1798 in Co. Roscommon (T2a1a8)

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FionnSneachta For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (01-30-2019),  Robert1 (04-25-2019)

  3. #12
    Registered Users
    Posts
    81
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    Y-DNA
    R1b-Z142
    mtDNA
    H10g

    Dnaexplained has more information:

    https://dna-explained.com/2019/01/30...-to-big-y-700/

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teepean47 For This Useful Post:

     FionnSneachta (01-30-2019),  JMcB (01-31-2019),  lgmayka (01-30-2019),  Peter MacDonald (03-01-2019)

  5. #13
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,772
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-DF49
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

    United Kingdom European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by FionnSneachta View Post
    I think I've used up that sample for all its worth. I ordered a Y-37, then a Big Y, a mtFull, a Family Finder and now I'm awaiting a STR marker result. After the Big Y, I just decided to get the other tests since at the time I thought that I'd maxed out Y testing and thought that I might as well order some other tests while they have the sample. I ordered the STR test in September so either they're trying their best to get enough DNA out of it or another sample is needed. I think the latter is most likely. I didn't query it because if it is a case that they've run out of sample, I wasn't bothered enough to hassle my dad about taking another swab for me and sending it back. If the upgrade is affordable, then I'll query about the situation with the STR test and request a new swab.
    Oh you'd be surprised what they can get out of a small swab, I had to provide a new sample for Walk the Y back in 2009 and I don't want to list all the SNP tests and one off STRs I've done since then but I can say I've also had MtDNA, 111 loci, BigY and a SNP panel since then.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     aaronbee2010 (01-30-2019),  JMcB (01-31-2019)

  7. #14
    Registered Users
    Posts
    243
    Sex
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

    Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    If anyone gets one of these upgraded chemistry tests back, please consider submitting the BAM to: https://haplogroup-r.org/submit.html

    I would like to compare the coverage areas. Summaries will get posted to the Statistics and Kits pages at the same site, and if you choose the gVCF option the call file will be put into the Y-DNA Warehouse for future analysis efforts that are not limited to R.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

     aaronbee2010 (01-30-2019),  fostert (01-30-2019),  JMcB (01-31-2019)

  9. #15
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    792
    Sex
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Ethnicity
    Indian - Punjabi Jatt
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R2a2b1b2a1a1*
    mtDNA
    U7a3a1e1a

    England United Kingdom India India Punjab
    Quote Originally Posted by jdean View Post
    Oh you'd be surprised what they can get out of a small swab, I had to provide a new sample for Walk the Y back in 2009 and I don't want to list all the SNP tests and one off STRs I've done since then but I can say I've also had MtDNA, 111 loci, BigY and a SNP panel since then.
    When was the most recent test you've done with that 2009 swab? I'm thinking of doing this Big Y-700 within the next year and a half, and I'm curious to know the time difference so I can get a good idea of how long these swabs can last.

    Thanks
    FTDNA: IN41220
    YFull: YF62636

    FATHER:

    Y-DNA (ISOGG 2019): R2a2b1b2a1a1-Y1383* (Y154917-)
    Y-DNA path: M207 > M479 > M124 > P267 > Y12100 > Y8763 > Y8766 > V3714 > SK2142 > Y1377 > Y1379 > Z29271 > Y1383 x Y154917


    mtDNA (YFull): M5a-a2a-G9064A


    MATERNAL UNCLE:

    Y-DNA (ISOGG 2019): R1b1a1b1b3a-Z2109
    Y-DNA path: M207 > M173 > M343 > L754 > L388 > P297 > M269 > L23 > Z2103 > Z2106 > Z2109

    mtDNA (YFull): U7a3a1e1a-C15433T

  10. #16
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    1,772
    Sex
    Location
    UK
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-DF49
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

    United Kingdom European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronbee2010 View Post
    When was the most recent test you've done with that 2009 swab? I'm thinking of doing this Big Y-700 within the next year and a half, and I'm curious to know the time difference so I can get a good idea of how long these swabs can last.

    Thanks
    Factoid Bundle Pack in November 2016 and before that the DF49 SNP pack in December 2015, however I'm more than a reasonably sure FTDNA reran BigY when they introduced the 500 version though I've been told that's not true by one person who posts here but I have more than one reasons for suspecting this.
    Last edited by jdean; 01-30-2019 at 09:04 PM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdean For This Useful Post:

     aaronbee2010 (01-31-2019)

  12. #17
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    341
    Sex
    Location
    Ohio
    Ethnicity
    German
    Nationality
    Galactic Empire
    Y-DNA
    R-Z324, Z5055, L188+
    mtDNA
    H5

    Quote Originally Posted by teepean47 View Post
    BS from Roberta again. Some correct points and some really bad missed points. BigY/700 does not sequence the majority of the y chromosome.

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cofgene For This Useful Post:

     fostert (01-30-2019),  REWM (01-30-2019),  rod (01-30-2019),  timberwolf (01-30-2019),  wlk (02-07-2019)

  14. #18
    Gold Class Member
    Posts
    2,638
    Sex

    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    I wonder how much this will delay people who are currently awaiting their results?
    FTDNA writes:
    ---
    Code:
    Orders Placed        Results Expected By
    Prior to 11/1/18     2/8/19
    11/1/18-11/30/18     2/20/19
    12/1/18 to present   3/6/19
    ---
    Last edited by lgmayka; 01-30-2019 at 11:19 PM.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (01-31-2019),  rms2 (01-31-2019)

  16. #19
    Registered Users
    Posts
    190
    Sex
    Location
    Warwickshire, England
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L226/R-FGC12290*
    mtDNA
    H2a2b1a1

    England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesKane View Post
    If anyone gets one of these upgraded chemistry tests back, please consider submitting the BAM to: https://haplogroup-r.org/submit.html

    I would like to compare the coverage areas. Summaries will get posted to the Statistics and Kits pages at the same site, and if you choose the gVCF option the call file will be put into the Y-DNA Warehouse for future analysis efforts that are not limited to R.
    James - you should already have my FGC 20X WGS again now? I've currently got an FTDNA Big Y-700 in the pipeline so hopefully you can compare the two when it's through... (FGC - Kit WMMHB; FTDNA B113262).

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

     JMcB (01-31-2019)

  18. #20
    Registered Users
    Posts
    243
    Sex
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-FGC29071
    mtDNA
    U5a1b1g*

    Ireland England Netherlands Germany France
    Quote Originally Posted by AntG View Post
    James - you should already have my FGC 20X WGS again now? I've currently got an FTDNA Big Y-700 in the pipeline so hopefully you can compare the two when it's through... (FGC - Kit WMMHB; FTDNA B113262).
    Yes, WMMHB is through the calling and quality checks. I think it was also in the last test run of the new STR pipeline. Those should get published when I have settings that aren’t ignoring quite so many of the basic 111 markers.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesKane For This Useful Post:

     AntG (01-31-2019)

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •