Thread: Why does ancestry say Iím 41% Portuguese 36% North African 13% English

Why does ancestry say Iím 41% Portuguese 36% North African 13% English

Why are 99% of my dna matches English and Northern Europeans when according to ancestry thatís the smallest part of my dna? Iím getting fed up with it I get hardly any North African matches even though my dad was North African and hardly any Iberian matches though I get some. Iíve distant Sephardic ancestry confirmed by one large segment with lots of Jewish matches as well as some Portuguese but other than some Mexico cousins everyday more and more English why?? Why donít I get far more Iberian cousins

Just seen more this time Russians I donít have Russian or Eastern Europe in my results and Iíve tested at every company. Iím thinking this whole dna thing is nonsense.
    Last edited by Phillip2019; 02-04-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip2019 View Post
    Why are 99% of my dna matches English and Northern Europeans when according to ancestry that’s the smallest part of my dna? I’m getting fed up with it I get hardly any North African matches even though my dad was North African and hardly any Iberian matches though I get some. I’ve distant Sephardic ancestry confirmed by one large segment with lots of Jewish matches as well as some Portuguese but other than some Mexico cousins everyday more and more English why?? Why don’t I get far more Iberian cousins

Just seen more this time Russians I don’t have Russian or Eastern Europe in my results and I’ve tested at every company. I’m thinking this whole dna thing is nonsense.
    Don't worry.
    My brother tested with ancestry dna. We are of Italian-Swedish decent and he only got 1 Italian match.
    Most was Americans with Swedish roots + NW Europeans in general.

All Commercial test are most for NW-Europeans. They are not made for South Europeans.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden Netherlands
    Could be the populations that actually take the tests. There are tons of English, I would assume the amount of North Africans taking an Ancestry test is much much lower. Maybe look at MyHeritage? While the ethnicity results can be "off" at times, they seem to have a higher amount of European and global testers.
    nMonte K36
    Fit = 1.87
    NE England 47.5%
    IT Calabria 33.3%
    NL_Friesland 13.3%
    SV_Svealand 5.83%

G25
    Fit=2.03
    Eng 61.67%
    IT South 30%
    Sweden 8.33%

E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminŗ Italy

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to digital_noise For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (02-04-2019),  FionnSneachta (02-04-2019),  Power77 (02-18-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Why are 99% of my dna matches English and Northern Europeans when according to ancestry that’s the smallest part of my dna? I’m getting fed up with it I get hardly any North African matches even though my dad was North African and hardly any Iberian matches though I get some. I’ve distant Sephardic ancestry confirmed by one large segment with lots of Jewish matches as well as some Portuguese but other than some Mexico cousins everyday more and more English why?? Why don’t I get far more Iberian cousins

Just seen more this time Russians I don’t have Russian or Eastern Europe in my results and I’ve tested at every company. I’m thinking this whole dna thing is nonsense.
    Most people on Ancestry are American, and many more Americans (and possibly Americans who take DNA tests in particular) are Northern European vs. Portuguese or North African.

I have one line that came here from England in 1870, and I get far fewer matches on that line than on my lines that came here in colonial times. It's just a matter of what cousins of yours are in the testing pool.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (02-04-2019),  FionnSneachta (02-04-2019),  mildlycurly (02-04-2019),  pmokeefe (02-18-2019),  Power77 (02-18-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Irish/English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Wales Romani Star of David
    Quote Originally Posted by msmarjoribanks View Post
    Most people on Ancestry are American, and many more Americans (and possibly Americans who take DNA tests in particular) are Northern European vs. Portuguese or North African.

I have one line that came here from England in 1870, and I get far fewer matches on that line than on my lines that came here in colonial times. It's just a matter of what cousins of yours are in the testing pool.
    Ashkenazi Jewish matches are also overrepresented at many testing companies. I get quite a few full Ashkenazi matches on GEDmatch despite my Jewish heritage likely being Sephardic. If you're Sephardic, more often than not your Jewish matches will be Ashkenazi.
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

ďA mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.Ē- Frank Zappa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mildlycurly For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (02-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Nationality
    American

Myheritage has a larger group of international dna test takers. But, I do not think you will find many non-northern europeans as matches because that is the group that is most likely to take a dna test.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Italian Slavic Jew
    Y-DNA
    E-V12*Egypt Natufian
    mtDNA
    I5a Levant

Italy Poland Germany Palatinate Israel

The answer is simple. Not many Sephardi's or North Africans have tested. Most people who test are Northern Europeans. As far as Jewish matching......my Jewish ancestry is Sephardi, and yet, most of my Jewish matches are Ashkenazi.....
    DNA Tribes

Balto - North Slavic 22.4%
    Northwest European 18.8%
    Italian Greek 18.1%
    Persian Jewish 9%
    Iberian 6.3%
    Ashkenazi Jewish 5.9%
    Basque 4.3%
    Sephardic Jewish 4.1%
    Balochi Punjab 3.7%
    Caucasus 2.5%
    Urals 1.3%