Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

United States of America

Chart of SSA origins for Madeiran/Azorean Portuguese using 23andme

These are based on verified matches on 23andme who are fully Madeiran or Azorean Portuguese.

I have seen higher results for SSA up to 12% but I do not share with them so I could not use them. I scaled their African to 100% and determined which parts of Africa contributed most to the once significant enslaved populations on these islands that got absorbed into the white population.

Highest for each person is bolded.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sikeliot For This Useful Post:

hartaisarlag (02-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA
    H1ao1

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazil
    Madeira and Azores were Colonial parts of the Portuguese Empire. They had almost the same time of the oldest Brazilian Colonies. The Brazilian Colonial Elite, the biggest and richest part of the Empire had more or less the same proportions of SSA and more Amerindian. I have 1.5 SS-African and 5% E-Asian Native American. As I wrote we were part of the Seaborne Empire and not people from the Metropolitan rural areas. Cabo Verde, Angola, Moçambique, Goa and Macau had other demographic variables.
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    Madeira and Azores were Colonial parts of the Portuguese Empire. They had almost the same time of the oldest Brazilian Colonies. The Brazilian Colonial Elite, the biggest and richest part of the Empire had more or less the same proportions of SSA and more Amerindian. I have 1.5 SS-African and 5% E-Asian Native American. As I wrote we were part of the Seaborne Empire and not people from the Metropolitan rural areas. Cabo Verde, Angola, Moçambique, Goa and Macau had other demographic variables.
    The difference is that the African population in Madeira and the Azores was mostly Senegambian, while in Brazil it was mostly Central African.

Madeira outlawed slavery in 1775. My assumption (and I may be wrong) is that the island maintained a segregated, and relatively pure, African population until the 1700s after which point it became assimilated rapidly into the white population, and that this happened so pervasively that almost all Madeirans are in some form descended from those African slaves.

The population of slaves was around 10% which corresponds to the 12% Sub-Saharan mtdna in Madeira. This means Madeira at one point had, proportionately, as much of an African population as did the United States, where 13% of the population is African American now.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Rio de Janeiro Colonial
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA
    J1a1 FGC6064+ M365+
    mtDNA
    H1ao1

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Brazil
    If you are interested in the subject and you have Portuguese ancestry you should read about our history in Portuguese. Africans and slaves were everywhere in the Maritime Empire and we can find that the presence of Africans in Iberia is quite ancient. In every Colonial society we can find admixtures. A poor migrant peasant from a poor village could happily marry in the other side of the Atlantic a rich daughter of a Priest with a former slave in the Church.

A historiografia sobre os escravos em Portugal
    The historiography on slavery in Portugal

https://journals.openedition.org/cultura/2422

Racial whitening - Embranquecimento
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_whitening
    J1 FGC5987 to FGC6175 (188 new SNPs)
    MDKAs before Colonial Brazil
    Y-DNA - Milhazes, Barcelos, Minho, Portugal.
    mtDNA - Ilha Terceira, Azores, Portugal

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RCO For This Useful Post:

Lugus (02-05-2019),  Sikeliot (02-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a
    mtDNA
    H

United States of America
    Quote Originally Posted by RCO View Post
    If you are interested in the subject and you have Portuguese ancestry you should read about our history in Portuguese. Africans and slaves were everywhere in the Maritime Empire and we can find that the presence of Africans in Iberia is quite ancient. In every Colonial society we can find admixtures. A poor migrant peasant from a poor village could happily marry in the other side of the Atlantic a rich daughter of a Priest with a former slave in the Church.

A historiografia sobre os escravos em Portugal
    The historiography on slavery in Portugal

https://journals.openedition.org/cultura/2422

Racial whitening - Embranquecimento
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_whitening

The higher frequency of Nigerian compared to others after Senegambia is likely linked to Portuguese activities in the Bight of Benin region. Don't you think?