Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: AncestryDNA vs LivingDNA, help me decide

  1. #1

    AncestryDNA vs LivingDNA, help me decide

    So I tested with AncestryDNA back in 2016, before genetic communities and specific country labels were even a part of the ethnicity estimates. I never tried LivingDNA, but I hear it could be inaccurate for those living outside of the UK. I really want to do another DNA test soon, and I can't decide which one to get. Should I get AncestryDNA again, with the new updates which I didn't get before? or should I get LivingDNA, a totally new experience? For those who have tested with both, what do you think would be the better option in my case?

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    344
    Sex
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Ethnicity
    UK
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1f

    Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    I tested with AncestryDNA even earlier, August 2015, yet have gotten updates like genetic communities, migrations, DNA Circles, improved matching, etc. plus the recent ethnicity estimates update. All the same things my sister has, who recently got her results. Surely you can get these updates, too. If you don't have them I'd contact customer support.

    I like Living DNA - but first get up to date with Ancestry.com.
     
    Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    32% English, 28% Scottish, 20% Welsh, 16% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

    Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

    MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

     Angriff (02-08-2019),  gstockman (02-07-2019),  JMcB (02-06-2019)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    940
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

    Cornwall New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    So I tested with AncestryDNA back in 2016, before genetic communities and specific country labels were even a part of the ethnicity estimates. I never tried LivingDNA, but I hear it could be inaccurate for those living outside of the UK. I really want to do another DNA test soon, and I can't decide which one to get. Should I get AncestryDNA again, with the new updates which I didn't get before? or should I get LivingDNA, a totally new experience? For those who have tested with both, what do you think would be the better option in my case?
    No. save your money in regards LDNA.

    Your matches are a far better indicator of ancestry, then any estimate and they currently don't have that feature up and running. They also appear to be struggling to meet any of their promises. Dealing with their customer service is a nightmare.

    AncestryDNA is a far superior product, or any of the other major companies.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timberwolf For This Useful Post:

     digital_noise (02-06-2019),  FionnSneachta (02-06-2019),  Robert1 (02-07-2019),  rod (02-06-2019),  sktibo (02-06-2019)

  6. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,065
    Sex
    Location
    Taiwan
    Ethnicity
    Métis
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA
    T2B-T152C

    Canada England Scotland Germany Poland France
    I'd go with 23andme before Living DNA, and if your inner junkie still isn't satisfied get it then.
    Paper trail ancestry to the best of my knowledge:
    English (possibly containing some Welsh ancestry) 31.25%, Eastern European and Eastern German (Galicia, Poland) 25%, Scottish 17.96%, Scotch-Irish 12.5%, French 8.2%, Native American 1.95%, and Colonial American, 3.125%, which cannot be determined with complete certainty: there is Dutch (at least 1.36%) and some English. The rest could include Spanish, Norwegian, German, and French, but these percentages would be minuscule.

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

     FionnSneachta (02-06-2019),  fostert (02-07-2019),  Jatt1 (02-06-2019),  msmarjoribanks (02-06-2019),  Robert1 (02-07-2019),  Ruderico (02-06-2019),  timberwolf (02-06-2019)

  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    I tested with AncestryDNA even earlier, August 2015, yet have gotten updates like genetic communities, migrations, DNA Circles, improved matching, etc. plus the recent ethnicity estimates update. All the same things my sister has, who recently got her results. Surely you can get these updates, too. If you don't have them I'd contact customer support.

    I like Living DNA - but first get up to date with Ancestry.com.

    The reason I did not get any updates is because I had my account deleted after I got my results. So I'd have to buy the test again to get the new stuff

  9. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    No. save your money in regards LDNA.

    Your matches are a far better indicator of ancestry, then any estimate and they currently don't have that feature up and running. They also appear to be struggling to meet any of their promises. Dealing with their customer service is a nightmare.

    AncestryDNA is a far superior product, or any of the other major companies.
    Wow I'm really surprised, a lot of people on this forum seem to love LivingDNA some even say it's better than 23andme. Has the attitude changed?

  10. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    781
    Sex
    Location
    Sweden
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

    Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    I would recommend FTDNA. You get the best raw-data and good familyfinder.

    Even tho' ancestry are good on ancestry estimate their raw-data is very bad with few snps.

  11. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    781
    Sex
    Location
    Sweden
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

    Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by ianz91 View Post
    Wow I'm really surprised, a lot of people on this forum seem to love LivingDNA some even say it's better than 23andme. Has the attitude changed?
    The positive thing with 23andme is that you get Y-dna + Mtdna and autosomal for a good price. But the autosomal rawdata is really bad.

  12. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    366
    Sex
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Ethnicity
    English & Greek
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    J2-L397
    mtDNA
    H2a2a1

    Italy Hungary Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nino90 View Post
    I would recommend FTDNA. You get the best raw-data and good familyfinder.

    Even tho' ancestry are good on ancestry estimate their raw-data is very bad with few snps.
    I was told that AncestryDNA was pretty good for the Global 25 because the company does not use imputation and have a good amount of SNP's. How does FTDNA measure up in comparison?

  13. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    781
    Sex
    Location
    Sweden
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

    Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by LTG View Post
    I was told that AncestryDNA was pretty good for the Global 25 because the company does not use imputation and have a good amount of SNP's. How does FTDNA measure up in comparison?
    I cant answer for g25. Because I have only coordinates from my 23andme. But om gedmatch my fathers ftdna data gives very perfect resultat.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

     LTG (02-06-2019)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. GEDMATCH: LIVINGDNA vs 23andme & AncestryDNA
    By Hurricane in forum Living DNA
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 06:11 PM
  2. DNA Profiling in China or not, you decide.
    By Amerijoe in forum Law and Criminology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 06:16 PM
  3. LivingDNA
    By USA4981 in forum Living DNA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2017, 10:20 AM
  4. DNA test could decide fate of Scottish baronetcy
    By rock hunter in forum Genealogy
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-20-2016, 02:01 PM
  5. Your DNA can decide when you lose your virginity
    By rock hunter in forum Medical Genetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •