Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Sardinians and steppe ancestry

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    226
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2a-M319

    Sardinians and steppe ancestry

    On some calculators, Sardinians show CHG ancestry, which can shift them towards the steppe compared to early neolithic farmers. Is this true? How could it be true if Sardinians show near 0% levels of ANE?

  2. #2
    Some people are too eager to see steppe where there is little to none of, so without explicitly explaining things they are painting a vague picture that “CHG without Anatolian = mark of steppe”. These factors are independent of direct steppe contributions. CHG/Iran_N were donors to the Mediterranean and the eastern part the Western Steppe.

  3. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    413
    Sex

    Spain
    Eastern Mediterranean sources are high in CHG but without steppe, and they contributed to certain degree in Sardinians

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweuro For This Useful Post:

     Cascio (02-07-2019),  Romilius (02-07-2019),  Ruderico (02-07-2019),  Sorcelow (02-07-2019)

  5. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    226
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2a-M319

    Quote Originally Posted by sweuro View Post
    Eastern Mediterranean sources are high in CHG but without steppe, and they contributed to certain degree in Sardinians
    This makes sense, but then my question then becomes, if Sardinians have CHG, how come they dont have ANE?

  6. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    900
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

    Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcelow View Post
    This makes sense, but then my question then becomes, if Sardinians have CHG, how come they dont have ANE?
    Did you happen to read Ryukendo's update from the talk on Italy? Farmers there had a share of Iran Neolithic type of ancestry. Just like in South Balkans, this ancestry was carried by a different stock of farmers than the usual Anatolia_N+WHG combo.
    Last edited by Dorkymon; 02-07-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    MyHeritage: 92.2% Balkan, 5.8% English, 1.1% Eskimo, 0.9% Japanese
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Global 25: Anatolia_N 50.2%, EHG 32.6%, CHG 11.2%, WHG 3.8%, East Asian 2.2%
    Hidden Content

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

     Cascio (02-08-2019),  Rafe (02-08-2019)

  8. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    226
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2a-M319

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkymon View Post
    Did you happen to read Ryukendo's update from the talk on Italy? Farmers there had a share of Iran Neolithic type of ancestry. Just like in South Balkans, this ancestry was carried by a different stock of farmers than the usual Anatolia_N+WHG combo.
    Could you direct me to it?

  9. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    900
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanian
    Y-DNA
    I2 (I-S17250)
    mtDNA
    T2a1b1a

    Romania European Union
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcelow View Post
    Could you direct me to it?
    https://anthrogenica.com/showthread....077#post545077
    Known ancestry: 1/2 Romanian Northeast + 1/4 Romanian Southeast + 1/4 Romanian Bukovina Ukraine
    23andme: 53.6% Greek & Balkan (4% Broadly South Euro), 35.7% East Euro, 0.3% Ashkenazi Jewish, 6.5% Broadly Euro
    MyHeritage: 92.2% Balkan, 5.8% English, 1.1% Eskimo, 0.9% Japanese
    FTDNA: 45% Southeast Euro, 45% East Euro, 4% British Isles, 3% West Middle East, 2% NE Asia
    Global 25: Anatolia_N 50.2%, EHG 32.6%, CHG 11.2%, WHG 3.8%, East Asian 2.2%
    Hidden Content

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dorkymon For This Useful Post:

     Rafe (02-08-2019),  Sorcelow (02-07-2019)

  11. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    226
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    J2a-M319

    Any other opinions?

  12. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    69
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Multiracial
    Y-DNA
    R1b1a1a2a1a
    mtDNA
    U4c1

    Steppe ancestry is not wholly absent in Sardinia. After all, more than 10% of Sardinians have Y-haplogroup R-M269, and the distribution of this haplogroup follows closely that of the steppe ancestry: it is highest in the north of the island and smallest in the center-east. So, Sardinians did receive a certain degree of CHG admixture from the steppe, which came along with a small degree of EHG / ANE ancestry. However, what the posters said above is correct: Sardinians received a dose of CHG-related DNA that did not come from the steppe and was not associated with EHG.

    sardinia 1.jpg

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rafe For This Useful Post:

     Onur Dincer (02-09-2019),  Psynome (02-13-2019),  R.Rocca (02-09-2019),  rms2 (02-09-2019),  Sorcelow (02-08-2019)

  14. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,317
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA
    H4a1-T152C!

    United States of America Italy Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
    Steppe ancestry is not wholly absent in Sardinia. After all, more than 10% of Sardinians have Y-haplogroup R-M269, and the distribution of this haplogroup follows closely that of the steppe ancestry: it is highest in the north of the island and smallest in the center-east. So, Sardinians did receive a certain degree of CHG admixture from the steppe, which came along with a small degree of EHG / ANE ancestry. However, what the posters said above is correct: Sardinians received a dose of CHG-related DNA that did not come from the steppe and was not associated with EHG.

    sardinia 1.jpg
    Yeah, I think most of the modern Sardinian samples used in ancient DNA studies have been from high haplogroup I2a1 areas. The higher frequency pf R-P312 is clearly in the north where, as you say, steppe ancestry is higher.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543, Pietro della Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

     Onur Dincer (02-09-2019),  Psynome (02-13-2019),  rms2 (02-09-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How much steppe ancestry do Pashtuns have?
    By Dmitry in forum Pashto
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-29-2018, 01:54 AM
  2. Replies: 282
    Last Post: 08-01-2017, 09:58 PM
  3. Steppe ancestry of Iranians/Kurds
    By Tomenable in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-10-2016, 01:49 AM
  4. Excess Steppe Ancestry in Kurds
    By Kurd in forum Kurdish
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-21-2016, 11:49 PM
  5. Steppe Ancestry in S & W Asians
    By Kurd in forum Ancient (aDNA)
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 03-27-2016, 03:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •