Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: How accurate is GEDmatch really?

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    35
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA
    E1b-V13>?
    mtDNA
    J1

    Albania

    How accurate is GEDmatch really?

    Is GEDmatch that accurate? I've seen people plot either south or north of there ethnicity, but autosomal results suggest otherwise.

  2. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    777
    Sex
    Location
    Sweden
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

    Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Depends on calculator and raw-data.

    My 23andme V5 is worse than the V3 for example.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nino90 For This Useful Post:

     Onur Dincer (02-13-2019)

  4. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    116
    Sex

    Mostly inaccurate.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to kakiasumi For This Useful Post:

     Mixed (02-11-2019)

  6. #4
    Global Moderator
    Posts
    3,314
    Sex
    Location
    Chicago
    Ethnicity
    Baloch Kashmiri Uzbek Kho
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R-Y17491 > R-YP4858
    mtDNA
    A8a

    Pakistan United States of America
    Gedmatch is useful to help orient one's self and get a "lay of the land", so to speak. However, the calculators are severely outdated given the breadth of new data.
    It is the best way for a newcomer to glean more detail and understanding from the raw data received from commercial companies that provide generic and broad ethnicity/ancestral breakdowns. It is also useful in intra-ethnic comparisons -- ie. while the percentages shown may not be entirely accurate, outliers or those with "pulls" and "shifts" away from the centroid of an ethnic average can be ascertained. While the component breakdowns and percentages assigned need an urgent update, we can continually make new oracle files for any given calculator and refine that aspect of a Gedmatch-based calculator.

    In short, it has its pros and cons. For a beginner, I believe it is invaluable; while for a more seasoned hobbyist, it is becoming increasingly less relevant.

    Should updated ADMIXTURE calculators be developed or support for newer autosomal analysis methods be established, the usefulness could of Gedmatch could alter substantially for everyone.
    Last edited by khanabadoshi; 02-12-2019 at 06:28 AM.
    “Chahar chez est tohfay Multan, Gard-o- Garma, Gada-o- Goristan”.

    Four things are the gift of Multan: Dusty winds, hot seasons, beggars and graveyards.




  7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to khanabadoshi For This Useful Post:

     Aroon1916 (02-15-2019),  gjenetiks (02-11-2019),  JMcB (02-11-2019),  Judith (02-18-2019),  laltota (02-11-2019),  Nino90 (02-11-2019),  Onur Dincer (02-13-2019),  poi (02-14-2019),  Robert1 (02-12-2019),  slievenamon (02-12-2019),  Táltos (03-06-2019),  Trelvern (03-15-2019)

  8. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    35
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Albanian
    Y-DNA
    E1b-V13>?
    mtDNA
    J1

    Albania
    Quote Originally Posted by Nino90 View Post
    Depends on calculator and raw-data.

    My 23andme V5 is worse than the V3 for example.
    Same but I still think both don't show the full picture. Calcs are very outdated.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gjenetiks For This Useful Post:

     Mixed (02-11-2019),  Nino90 (02-11-2019)

  10. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    73
    Sex
    Location
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1a-YP445
    mtDNA
    J1c2b

    England Germany Italy Sicily Ireland Munster Acadia United States Tree Flag
    I generally find it to be good, I mean there are some wild hairs (93.9% English and 6.1% Lezgin a best fit? Really?) but more or less I find it to be accurate for me.

  11. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    843
    Sex
    Location
    US
    Ethnicity
    India Andhra Kamma Telugu
    Nationality
    US
    Y-DNA
    HM82 Z5888+CTS8144+
    mtDNA
    U2a1a

    United States of America India
    23andme matches dont make sense some times. Others like FTDNA, MyHeritage, Ancestry, LivingDNA etc.. look better in terms of possibility
    Y: H-M69 -> H-M82 -> SK1225 -> H-Z5888 -> H-Z5890 -> H-CTS8144 [CTS8144/PF1741/M5498] -> Z34531 (H1a1a4b3b1a8~)
    mtDNA: U2a1a
    extras 309.1C 315.1C 522.1A 522.2 CG8572A G8860A T11368C T16093a T16154C C16519T C195T

    G25 Ancients Dist 0.99 Shahr_I_Sokhta_BA3:S8728.E1.L1 65.2 Saidu_Sharif_IA_o:S7722.E1.L1 17.8 Udegram_IA:I1985 7.8 Jordanian:S_Jordanian-1 4.4 Barikot_IA:I6545 2.2 Scotland_N:I26602 Narva_Lithuania: Donkalnis6

    Lactose persistance rs3213871 rs4988243

  12. #8
    Registered Users
    Posts
    777
    Sex
    Location
    Sweden
    Ethnicity
    Italian-Swedish
    Nationality
    Swedish
    Y-DNA
    R-L2 / R1b-U152
    mtDNA
    H1a1

    Sweden Italy Italy 1861-1946 Sami Vatican
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenetiks View Post
    Same but I still think both don't show the full picture. Calcs are very outdated.
    Yes. Outdated. But in some calculators you got very good accurate results. But in most its totally wrong.

    I still use it. But prefer G25 scales on nMonte and Poi's K36 Calculator.

  13. #9
    Registered Users
    Posts
    1,397
    Sex
    Location
    America
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

    England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by khanabadoshi View Post
    Gedmatch is useful to help orient one's self and get a "lay of the land", so to speak. However, the calculators are severely outdated given the breadth of new data.
    It is the best way for a newcomer to glean more detail and understanding from the raw data received from commercial companies that provide generic and broad ethnicity/ancestral breakdowns.
    It is also useful in intra-ethnic comparisons -- ie. while the percentages shown may not be entirely accurate, outliers or those with "pulls" and "shifts" away from the centroid of an ethnic average can be ascertained.
    While the component breakdowns and percentages assigned need an urgent update, we can continually make new oracle files for any given calculator and refine that aspect of a Gedmatch-based calculator.

    In short, it has its pros and cons. For a beginner, I believe it is invaluable, while for a more seasoned hobbyist, it is becoming increasingly less relevant.


    Should updated ADMIXTURE calculators be developed or support for newer autosomal analysis methods be established, the usefulness could of Gedmatch could alter substantially for everyone.
    GEDmatch /Genesis is suppose to be using a new algorithm for their admixtures. A beta version in my view was tried last May 2018, but it has since defaulted to the old GEDmatch data. maybe if and when they re-establish this new admixture algorithm the results would sharpen up a bit.

  14. #10
    Registered Users
    Posts
    744
    Sex
    Location
    Bay Area
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    E-BY14160
    mtDNA
    J1c2p

    Italy Two Sicilies England Sweden Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryS. View Post
    GEDmatch /Genesis is suppose to be using a new algorithm for their admixtures. A beta version in my view was tried last May 2018, but it has since defaulted to the old GEDmatch data. maybe if and when they re-establish this new admixture algorithm the results would sharpen up a bit.
    can you provide a source this? For as far as I have been using GedMatch and Genesis the results are identical
    nMonte K36
    Fit = 1.87
    NE England 47.5%
    IT Calabria 33.3%
    NL_Friesland 13.3%
    SV_Svealand 5.83%

    G25
    Fit=2.03
    Eng 61.67%
    IT South 30%
    Sweden 8.33%


    E-V13 => E-PH1246 => E-BY14160
    Antonio Reale born circa 1710, Ciminŕ Italy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How accurate is your gedmatch eye color prediction?
    By Kart in forum Anatomy and Physiology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-26-2018, 09:29 PM
  2. Best or most accurate Gedmatch Admixture?
    By Jutlander in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 12-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-04-2018, 09:55 PM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 03:24 AM
  5. How accurate are the 'One-to-many' matches on GEDMatch
    By Mehrdad in forum Autosomal (auDNA)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •