Thread: Is the sect of the continuitists still alive?

Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA
    H5a1

Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney

Is the sect of the continuitists still alive?

A text published in 2017 in the journal "Philology" seems to titillate some obsessional anti-steppists from some forums or blogs next door:
    "Wheels, Languages and Bullshit (Or How Not To Do Linguistic Archaeology)", by JONATHAN SHERMAN MORRIS
    This text consists of a violent attack on the work of A. Perelstvaig and Martin Lewis. It is itself basically bullshit, but I will let authorized linguists prove it, perhaps Agamemnon if he has time for such a disgusting job. I just want to make some little remarks on the journal itself.

First, it is edited by FRANCESCO BENOZZO. Who is this raggazo? The best you can do is to read the wiki page which is devoted to him, including the two warnings ("This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. Please help improve it by replacing them with more appropriate citations to reliable, independent, third-party sources."). In short Benozzo has found, as a linguist, his speciality in the languages of Australopithecus and Neanderthal (!). I presume he is helped in this revolutionary project by his skill as a poet (!!) and shaman and his genius as a harp player (!!!) (his second and third specialities). In the issue of "Philology", he is associated with... Mario Alinei, the famous founder of the Paleocontinuity Theory. What a surprise!
    In the same issue, you'll find a text by XAVIERO BALLESTER, another well-known supporter of the PCT. But IMO the most beautiful, by far, is this one, written by another old continuitist, MARCEL OTTE. Its title says it all: "Indo-Europeans Arrived in Europe with Modern Man".

The texts of Otte and Morris are on Academia. I didn't search the others.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (02-14-2019),  Camulogène Rix (02-13-2019),  Helgenes50 (02-13-2019),  jdean (02-13-2019),  JMcB (02-13-2019),  rms2 (02-14-2019),  Ruderico (02-13-2019),  Ryukendo (02-13-2019)

Sex

Morris' furious attacks

" but I will let authorized linguists prove it, perhaps Agamemnon if he has time for such a disgusting job" -
    This is not the point, because M is a philologist. The point is that he constantly tears out of context ununderstood excerpts from the literature of other fields without the necessary knowledge and understanding and immediately translates them into the opposite, and this in an extremely primitive, pubertal style. It is close to senseless to try arguing against people with such fiercly and blindly uttered prejudies.
    archligo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to archlingo For This Useful Post:

jdean (03-25-2019)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA
    H5a1

Normandie Netherlands Friesland Finland Orkney
    If you want to know more about Morris: http://www.aslip.org/members.html . "aslip" (don't confuse with "asleep"... well, in fact, it's perhaps not so different) is for "The Association for the Study of Language In Prehistory". There are some rather famous names in this boysband: Bomhard, Cavalli-Sforza, Ivanov, Renfrew, Starostin (the last four in the Council of Fellows only), etc.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

Sex

Assessment

Quote Originally Posted by anglesqueville View Post
    A text published in 2017 in the journal "Philology" seems to titillate some obsessional anti-steppists from some forums or blogs next door:
    "Wheels, Languages and Bullshit (Or How Not To Do Linguistic Archaeology)", by JONATHAN SHERMAN MORRIS
    This text consists of a violent attack on the work of A. Perelstvaig and Martin Lewis. It is itself basically bullshit, but I will let authorized linguists prove it, perhaps Agamemnon if he has time for such a disgusting job. I just want to make some little remarks on the journal itself.

First, it is edited by FRANCESCO BENOZZO. Who is this raggazo? The best you can do is to read the wiki page which is devoted to him, including the two warnings ("This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. Please help improve it by replacing them with more appropriate citations to reliable, independent, third-party sources."). In short Benozzo has found, as a linguist, his speciality in the languages of Australopithecus and Neanderthal (!). I presume he is helped in this revolutionary project by his skill as a poet (!!) and shaman and his genius as a harp player (!!!) (his second and third specialities). In the issue of "Philology", he is associated with... Mario Alinei, the famous founder of the Paleocontinuity Theory. What a surprise!
    In the same issue, you'll find a text by XAVIERO BALLESTER, another well-known supporter of the PCT. But IMO the most beautiful, by far, is this one, written by another old continuitist, MARCEL OTTE. Its title says it all: "Indo-Europeans Arrived in Europe with Modern Man".

The texts of Otte and Morris are on Academia. I didn't search the others.
    < 1. I wonder how any serious scientific journal could publish a paper in such a never seen school-boyish, fierce, pre-occupied, and comedian style.
    2. The author does not cite even a single scientific textbook of linguistics, and where he does, it is mistaken. Instead, he cites bio-systematicians as proof for idiosyncratic linguistic assumptions.
    This should do. Best
    archlingo