Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epigenetic testing for the masses (New Scientist)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Epigenetic testing for the masses (New Scientist)

There was a brief article on this industry in last week's New Scientist and two of their journos are trying out a couple of companies, Chronomics and Muhdo. They are getting their tests paid for.

Chronomics appear to offer their test with or without a WGS behind it. It was formed by a bunch of Cambridge graduates although when I checked their company accounts it seems a lot of them later resigned as directors. To get the WGS bundle it appears you would have to purchase the 'Genome Rockstar' product:

£699.00 / year
    + £799.00
    / one off whole genome test

https://www.chronomics.com/products/pricing

Company records filed so far:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11120038

In the interests of balance the article quotes a guy from the US CDC saying 'no validation and no utility as far as I know'.

I am interested though to see whether they use a UK lab for their WGS as that might be appealing as a DTC option.
    Last edited by MacUalraig; 02-20-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: corrected typo in CDC quote
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-29-2019),  Onur Dincer (02-21-2019),  Piquerobi (05-29-2019),  pmokeefe (02-20-2019),  Saetro (02-24-2019),  slievenamon (02-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

I checked with the firm and their WGS test is conducted on 'mainland Europe'.
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Onur Dincer (02-21-2019),  Saetro (02-24-2019)

They have ancestry info but only in the rockstar genome version of the kit lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ianz91 For This Useful Post:

Onur Dincer (02-21-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

I did find this page on Illumina epigenetics options and under the array version it mentions 850k CpGs covered which might be what Chronomics are hinting at when they mention '1000000 positions covered' although its hard to make out which option they are talking about.

https://www.illumina.com/techniques/...-analysis.html
    Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

Saetro (02-24-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Colonial British/German
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L1065>S744>S691*
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b19a*

Pat, here, aka Ysearcher on other forums. I have come across Chronomics recently. They don't offer much on their web site to inspire confidence that their product has been validated and peer reviewed - all I found were a few links to press reports, zero links to research validating their technology. I think I have more confidence in the Illumina product, but no idea where to find that as a consumer service.

Thanks for posting this. @MacUalraig, am I reading correctly that you have had the Dante Labs Nanopore product? Were the results useful, intelligible, what you expected???

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

I have the Chronomics test ongoing, got a message from them the other day to say sorry for the inevitable delays. I have got the nanopore in fastq format and I aligned it but I haven't had time to do any variant calling as my Chromium linked reads test arrived virtually the same day so I'm struggling to keep up with all the work I need to do!
    Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (06-26-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    I have the Chronomics test ongoing, got a message from them the other day to say sorry for the inevitable delays. I have got the nanopore in fastq format and I aligned it but I haven't had time to do any variant calling as my Chromium linked reads test arrived virtually the same day so I'm struggling to keep up with all the work I need to do!
    I know that it's not the most expensive hobby around but is there a reason you've done so many tests recently? I can see jumping on new generations of tests but just from your forum signature and this post you've gotten a ton of tests this year. I'm just curious and you can disregard this if it's something personal.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Quote Originally Posted by xenus View Post
    I know that it's not the most expensive hobby around but is there a reason you've done so many tests recently? I can see jumping on new generations of tests but just from your forum signature and this post you've gotten a ton of tests this year. I'm just curious and you can disregard this if it's something personal.
    More technical curiosity than anything specific eg a particular disease.
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R2a*-M124 (L295-)
    mtDNA (M)
    D4j5*

England
    Consumer testing of the epigenome will become a very lucrative market moving forwards.

Unlike your genome, the epigenome (the series of chemical signals that modify gene activity either directly or indirectly) is subject to change within the individual's lifetime. If I went from eating low-grade McDonald's cheeseburgers daily for a decade and then began daily meditation, exercise and a high vegetable diet, that'll reflect in the epigenome.

I can't see how epigenome testing would be useful for ancestry purposes (too many of those methylation-demethylation sites are going to be different between me and grandma), but it'll be a primary focus for health-conscious testers.

It's worth bearing this in mind, should the design of those tests be "gamed", or the advertisement to favour frequent testing, for commercial purposes (the same way older lightbulbs weren't 100% Argon - the main inert gas used IIRC - to prevent them lasting forever and ensuring a reliant customer base formed).

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DMXX For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (06-29-2019),  MacUalraig (05-30-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    More technical curiosity than anything specific eg a particular disease.
    It is interesting from that perspective.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast