Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: can somebody provide me some somali GEDmatch results?

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin View Post
    Why do people feel so much bothered by their tribe mixing with Bantus? People always mix with their closest neighbours no matter how they try to avoid. Sometimes, marrying outside is the best to avoid marrying your cousins. Some of my ancestors mixed with Ethiopians and I don't see any problem with that.
    People don't always mix with their neighbors. Many White Americans score less than 1% SSA and live around African-Americans in the Southern USA.

Most South ethnic Somalis have 0% Bantu* admixture.

*Bantu does not equal SSA, it is a specific sub-element within SSA.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

Ellerbe (Yesterday),  VytautusofAukstaitija (07-08-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Ethnicity
    Horner
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-V32
    mtDNA (M)
    L3h2

Canada Djibouti Ethiopia Somaliland Somalia
    The majority of White Americans have about 5% West African but That's due to rapes during slavery. These are not the White Italians or Polish and other East Europ but those whose ancestors have been there for many centuries. You can have have blues and white skin and have African genes. There was a white supremacist whonhad his dna checked while on TV at a show and he had about 5% black.
    Somalis lived separated from Bantus so I am not saying why didn't they mix? I am saying why feel insulted by a tiny bit of mixing which must could have happened either with Bantu or with Oromos? When populations live close there is always some mixing. I would not waste time disproving something that is real even if it is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by NetNomad View Post
    People don't always mix with their neighbors. Many White Americans score less than 1% SSA and live around African-Americans in the Southern USA.

Most South ethnic Somalis have 0% Bantu* admixture.

*Bantu does not equal SSA, it is a specific sub-element within SSA.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Somali

Somalia
    Why do people feel so much bothered by their tribe mixing with Bantus? People always mix with their closest neighbours no matter how they try to avoid. Sometimes, marrying outside is the best to avoid marrying your cousins. Some of my ancestors mixed with Ethiopians and I don't see any problem with that.
    where did you pick up the notion that anybody here has anything against bantus or some somalis mixing with them? nothing wrong with a few somalis mixing with different ethnic groups like bantus i myself have family members that are half reer shabelle but we shouldn't want that occurring on a large scale for obvious reasons, pretty sure groups like the somali bantus feel the exact same way regarding their ethnicity
    Last edited by afbarwaaqo; 07-24-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex

The majority of White Americans have about 5% West African but That's due to rapes during slavery. These are not the White Italians or Polish and other East Europ but those whose ancestors have been there for many centuries. You can have have blues and white skin and have African genes. There was a white supremacist whonhad his dna checked while on TV at a show and he had about 5% black.
    Somalis lived separated from Bantus so I am not saying why didn't they mix? I am saying why feel insulted by a tiny bit of mixing which must could have happened either with Bantu or with Oromos? When populations live close there is always some mixing. I would not waste time disproving something that is real even if it is minimal.
    Most White Americans have none or less than 1%. Only a tiny tiny minority have above 5%. Please don't make false statements like that not backed up by facts.

Source:
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/009340v1

As for why some Somalis may feel insulted by it? Because of the stigma of slavery associated with said population.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NetNomad For This Useful Post:

blackflash16 (07-25-2019),  VytautusofAukstaitija (07-28-2019)

Because it is almost always used as an insult and to take away legitimacy and Somaliness from ethnic Somalis by other Somalis. It is rare to come upon Bantu-Somali mixes, despite what their numbers would suggest. And seeing as you are from the Horn of Africa, you should know there is a strong racial differentiation and sort of history between these two groups. There was a reason afterall that Oromo slaves were assimilated within 3 generations, while 130 years later and for the main group of riverine Somali Bantu, nothing has changed. Compare that to the fact that nothing really remains of the Warday Oromo and other Oromo tribal groups of the trans-Juba, all of whom have fully assimilated and are identified by the Somali public as ethnic Somalis, despite having Boran, Wardei, and Orma ancestry. Many Oromo tribal groups and lineages have been accepted as full clans under the Rahanweyn and Garre. Whereas the Somali Bantu at best remain as shegato (claimants). It is for these reasons - especially for the first 2 - that some members here feel the way they do. Clearly however, there is nothing wrong with the Somali Bantu, as they are a normal, respectable people, and I don't think this concerns that.

Seeing as we are in the topic of the Somali Bantu - I wanted to mention that Somali Bantu are a very diverse group, and the term only serves as a PC racial classification in the Somali territories and the wider discourse. Some Somali Bantu groups such as the Makanne, reer Shabelle, and the original Bari Somali Bantu are essentially almost fully Somalized, and function more as Somali clans than anything else. These groups would identify moreso with regular ethnic Somalis than the riverine Somali Bantu groups, many of whom speak and identify as belonging to the Southeast African Bantu ethnicities that their ancestors hailed from, such as the Zigua, Yao, and Makua. The latter group descends from the earlier waves of Bantu slaves, many of whom escaped inland and formed settlements based solely on ethnicity, and remained very insular and antagonistic in their dealings with other riverine ex-slave Bantu settlements who belonged to different ethnicities.

The more Somalized groups, such as the Makane and reer Bari Bantu, arrived as a motly amalgation of Bantu peoples, and remained in slavery for a longer period. They largely lost any past identities and histories, and adopted wholesale the culture and languages/dialects of their Somali masters. They did not have the preserved and insular ethnic identities of the main group riverine Bantu groups.

This is the reason why the riverine Bantu usually speak several languages - their own ethnic Bantu language, and the Maay dialect of Somali which they use as a lingua franca amongst themselves an other riverine Somali Bantu groups (who speak other Bantu languages.

Population-wise, the riverine Bantu are seemingly larger than the almost fully Somalized Bantu groups. There are also Bantu groups who never experienced slavery, and inhabit the southern borders of the Somali territories in Kenya, such as the various Pokomo subgroups and the Swahili. These independent Bantu groups, while heavily Somalized through contact with the Somali, largely speak their own Bantu languages and operate with a wholly different dynamic - as familiar outsiders, rather than outcaste insiders.

And like others said here - any degree of west/central African ancestry is very rare in Euro-Americans. A majority of Euro-Americans are from post colonial waves of migration, beginning around the civil war to WWII. Alot of these European immigrants had no contact with African Americans, as they had much less intercourse with this community than did older colonial stock Americans due to much stronger cultural barriers despite a broadly similar economic status. There is a reason why west/central African ancestry in European Americans is higher in colonial American families, as prior to the hardening against racial intermarriage, African Americans, early west/central Africans, and mixed persons had married into colonial Euro-American families from all along the socio-economic gamut, and their descendants largely identified and remained part of the Euro-American population despite their mixed heritage. The one-drop rule as we know it wasn't in application yet. Even some distinguished Euro-American families had their origins in African American or early west/central African founders, but this was rare and far from the rule. But this wasn't the case for later waves of migrants who came during the civil war, as they were extremely culturally dissimilar and insular - as one can see from the strong animosity these later European immigrants had for non-whites despite the lack of any substantial contact outside the inner city. This is not to mention the settlement patterns were usually more concentrated in areas with little African Americans, such as the Great Plains, the Pacific NW, New England, and the southwest.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Horner
    Y-DNA (P)
    Probably E-V32

France Djibouti African Union
    Quote Originally Posted by drobbah View Post
    Eurogenes K13

Isaaq (Somaliland)

# Population Percent
    1 Northeast_African 57.46
    2 Red_Sea 22.61