Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China

Ancestry Lab

Anyone else have the beta of the new DNA matches? In the beta you can now add matches to groups, there are new filters and notes are easily viewable. You have to sign up to the beta in the extras tab to be able to access this feature. So far on the beta you can have 24 groups, hopefully they increase that in the future if they decide to keep this.
    3/4 European, 1/4 Mauritian Creole. Genealogy enthusiast and Wow nerd.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (02-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    Yes, two new beta options appeared today.

DNA matches and MyTreeTags. Both look interesting but I was most intrigued by the new common ancestors in DNA Matches - up from about 18 to about 60. Not sure about the accuracy.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-27-2019),  Robert1 (03-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    I1a1b1
    mtDNA
    H1c3

England Ireland Wales Scotland England North of England European Union
    Yeah, I have the beta too. My matches with common ancestors have gone from 11 to 21, although a lot of the new ones seem to be inaccurate.
    Last edited by Stephen1986; 02-27-2019 at 04:55 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen1986 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

Just looked again and have also gained ThruLines. Although most of the ones on there are linked between my mum and I that I've looked at so far.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

JMcB (02-27-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    A serious deficiency of "ThruLines" is that it does not include either of my mother's paternal grandparents from my linked tree. I have a 1st cousin once removed, two 2nd cousins (possibly three), three 2nd cousins once removed, and over a dozen 3rd cousins who are linked through these great grandparents of mine -- and with whom I share DNA.

Instead, I get as great grandparents people who -- as far as I can tell -- were actually unrelated to me, and whose only "descendants" that I share DNA with happen to also be descendants of my mother. If, as is clearly the case (based on DNA), the people that she thought were her paternal grandparents were not; then how is "ThruLines" very meaningful here?

I guess the plus is that I don't have any fellow descendants of these people upstream of my mother. That's a kind of confirmation that they're not my mother's ancestors, or mine. In the meantime, I have many cousins (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and more distant) who do have a connection to my mother's biological grandparents.

So I can see ThruLines being a useful feature, except that I'm afraid it may cause a lot of confusion. And you'd think my biological great grandparents should at least appear in the list.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    I’m a bit more positive... After a qick look, I think that most of my 60 odd suggested common ancestors are accurate. About 40 are linked to one set of 3x great grandparents who had several close relatives who emigrated. So most of the suggestions are related to my paternal grandmother. By contrast, only one suggestion is related to my maternal grandfather. I’d say that the result is more about my ancestors and their siblings and cousins - specifically how many siblings and cousins emigrated.

I’d say that about 20% of the suggestions were there in the old system; 30% I had worked out for myself; 30% are new and plausible. The other 20% are obviously wrong.

That’s quite a good number of new leads.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (02-27-2019),  pmokeefe (03-06-2019),  Robert1 (03-07-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

The tree tags look interesting as well, could potentially be useful

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    I’m a bit more positive... After a qick look, I think that most of my 60 odd suggested common ancestors are accurate. About 40 are linked to one set of 3x great grandparents who had several close relatives who emigrated. So most of the suggestions are related to my paternal grandmother. By contrast, only one suggestion is related to my maternal grandfather. I’d say that the result is more about my ancestors and their siblings and cousins - specifically how many siblings and cousins emigrated.

I’d say that about 20% of the suggestions were there in the old system; 30% I had worked out for myself; 30% are new and plausible. The other 20% are obviously wrong.

That’s quite a good number of new leads.
    I don't have any doubt that this could be a very useful feature -- I just can't understand why it's using a deleted tree and ignoring a current, linked tree.

I wish I'd had this feature earlier ... but without two of my great grandparents being included in it, and an incorrect couple in their place, that's really very unhelpful for me or those of my matches who can be found in that part of my family. I think the idea is to lessen confusion, not to increase it.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (02-28-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I've been creating groups and tagging people. It's nice since I have a document in which I've grouped the top two pages of matches for both my sister and me already, so I'm now able to transfer this to Ancestry and make the process of evaluating new matches easier and quicker.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (03-07-2019),  pmokeefe (03-06-2019)