Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand

New Feature ThruLines

Just popped up on beta.

ThruLines illustrates how you may be related to your DNA matches through a common ancestor.

Access to ThruLines™ Beta is available to customers without an Ancestry subscription for a limited time.

Just scrolling thought it now.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timberwolf For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-17-2019),  Judith (02-27-2019),  pmokeefe (02-27-2019),  RVBLAKE (03-24-2019),  Táltos (03-10-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Nationality
    British

United Kingdom Netherlands Mauritius Madagascar India China
    It seems interesting but has some flaws. My mum has a second cousin match who we know is related through the Chubb line of our family tree. Yet the sister of the match isn't showing up on ThruLines despite also being a match to us through that line.
    3/4 European, 1/4 Mauritian Creole. Genealogy enthusiast and Wow nerd.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFWinstone For This Useful Post:

Jatt1 (02-27-2019),  timberwolf (02-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b (FGC5494)
    mtDNA
    Not tested

I can't say I like this feature. In the old DNA Circles the idea was that you had to share common DNA from an Ancestral couple.

Looking at my Aunt's kit, it is telling me "Leonard Hull is the 5th great-grandfather of AS"

2 problems with this:

- It is basing this on 2 matches I share through my Aunt's 3rd great grandparents. These 2 matches have gone back further and added Leonard Hull to their trees but I am not convinced by this as there were several Elizabeth Hulls baptised around the same time in London
    - Even if Leonard Hull is correct, there is no guarantee that I and my 2 matches have inherited any DNA from him.

So really this feels like even shakier leaves to me!

I can see why Ancestry are doing this as it is a way to give people who are too lazy to do the research, instant ancestors, BUT, it will surely just lead to more bad trees...

I quite like the tag feature they are BETA testing though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loderingo For This Useful Post:

JFWinstone (02-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Northern Ireland
    Nationality
    Northern Irish

Northern Ireland Ireland
    I am struggling with this feature. Having looked at it, I do see a few potential relatives but I can't figure out where they tie into my tree?? Every time I try to access the trees, I am taken to a payment page?

Is there no free way of viewing other people's trees?

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    One problem I have with it is that it appears to be using an old tree of mine which I deleted, and it is not using my current tree.

The reason I deleted the old tree is that I learn that one fourth of it -- involving my maternal grandfather and/or his ancestry is wrong based on DNA evidence. What I'm talking about is that I learned through the discovery of multiple 2nd cousins and other relatives that the couple I listed as my great grandparents on this side simply are not.

Yet they're still listed in "ThruLines". The thing is, the only "fellow descendants" I have with either "great grandparent" are: my daughter and a niece (my sister's daughter). These of course are related to me! But they aren't related to me through either of the people who raised my grandfather.

At the same time, the people I have been listing for over two years as my mother's paternal grandparents in my linked tree are not in ThruLines. This is in spite of the fact that one of the couple's grandsons (through one of their sons) is listed as a possible 1st or 2nd cousin to me. We share 344 cM in 18 segments, and in my current tree he's a 1st cousin once removed.

In addition, one of their great grandsons is listed as a possible 2nd cousin to me. Not only do we share 265 cM in 15 segments at Ancestry, but his results have been uploaded to GEDmatch. There our autosomal matching is actually 290.2 cM in 15 segments, plus another 42.7 cM in two segments on the X chromosome.

This is particularly significant because all but 20 cM of my X chromosome came from my maternal grandfather. The 20 cM which didn't, surrounding the centromere, came from my grandmother. On the 2nd cousin's side, his descent from the great grandparents is through one of their sons and the then one of the son's daughters. This is a prime path for transmission of X chromosome DNA.

Also at Ancestry, I have 29 folks who are listed as "3rd cousins". Of these, 9 are on my father's side. That leaves 20 on my mother's side. 4 of these are on her mother's side. Of the 16 on my mother's father's side, all of them include my 1st cousin once removed on this side as a shared match. The first of the 16 is my 2nd cousin's son, so he's actually a 2nd cousin once removed. Of the other 15, all but one also includes my 2nd cousin on this side as a shared match.

Out of the 15, 12 clearly are connected on my great grandmother's side and 3 are clearly connected on my great grandfather's side. I'm talking about the people listed in my current tree as my maternal grandfather's parents. With the people listed in my old tree as my maternal grandfather's parents, I have zero connection as close as or closer than 4th cousins.

In other words, it's abundantly clear that the people who raised my grandfather are not my biological great grandparents. What's less certain is whether that's because they weren't my grandfather's parents, or my grandfather wasn't my mother's father. I believe it's the first, but I can't yet rule out the second.

The point, however, is that for some reason ThruLines is using a old deleted tree in favor of a current linked tree. I have no idea why, since all available DNA evidence supports only the current tree.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

AJL (03-17-2019),  pmokeefe (02-27-2019),  Robert1 (03-02-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

I have just filled in the feedback form after several minutes looking at their suggestions. In summary I was very dissatisfied and described it in the free form comments as “totally useless and insulting”.
    They suggested a 3rdggf for me, a man who had a daughter of the same given name and differently spelt surname, when I have the correct person in my tree, with about 10 documents to back it up verifying family stories. So why do I need their stupid suggestion of the wrong man with the only link of one name.
    The suggestion of my 3ggm his wife was from a different family totally, and again the right person is already in my tree. My DNA cousins verify it too!
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

timberwolf (02-27-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

Quote Originally Posted by Nqp15hhu View Post
    I am struggling with this feature. Having looked at it, I do see a few potential relatives but I can't figure out where they tie into my tree?? Every time I try to access the trees, I am taken to a payment page way of viewing other people's trees?
    Whatever you do don’t pay them a penny this feature is best described as click-bait! Totally useless!
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

Registered Users
    Sex

Germany England Sweden France Norway Ukraine
    Please don’t tell me this is the new update they are talking about! When I try using this feature all it is redirecting me to pay for a subscription.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by Loderingo View Post
    I can't say I like this feature. In the old DNA Circles the idea was that you had to share common DNA from an Ancestral couple.

Looking at my Aunt's kit, it is telling me "Leonard Hull is the 5th great-grandfather of AS"

2 problems with this:

- It is basing this on 2 matches I share through my Aunt's 3rd great grandparents. These 2 matches have gone back further and added Leonard Hull to their trees but I am not convinced by this as there were several Elizabeth Hulls baptised around the same time in London
    - Even if Leonard Hull is correct, there is no guarantee that I and my 2 matches have inherited any DNA from him.

So really this feels like even shakier leaves to me!

I can see why Ancestry are doing this as it is a way to give people who are too lazy to do the research, instant ancestors, BUT, it will surely just lead to more bad trees...

I quite like the tag feature they are BETA testing though.
    Yeah, I'm with you on the DNA Circle part. I've been complaining about the fact that the couple who raised my maternal grandfather -- but were not his biological parents -- are the ones who are listed as my great grandparents. This information comes from an old deleted tree. Meanwhile, the couple who are linked to my grandfather as his parents in my current tree do not appear as my great grandparents.

But the thing is, I'm in ten DNA Circles the connect with these great grandparents. These include 4th great grandparents, 3rd great grandparents, and 2nd great grandparents -- all of whom are ancestral to the folks I have listed as my maternal grandfather's parents. On my old tree, I had no DNA Circles associated with the couple who raised my grandfather, which is reasonable since I clearly do not share any DNA with them.

Yet now they're back in "ThruLines".

EDIT:

By the way, I don't have any problem with Ancestry trying to get more subscribers. I do have a problem with the fact that I am a subscriber, already paying at the highest level.

Why should I get the same treatment as those of you not paying for anything but your test kit? No offence, but I figure I'm already subsidizing a lot of these features. And just because Ancestry may not feel they need to woo me doesn't mean they should take me for granted.

2nd EDIT:

Being in a DNA Circle was not -- and is not -- a guarantee that you actually share any DNA with the ancestral couple. It only means you share DNA with at least some other members of the circle. But you might have inherited that DNA from some other common ancestor or ancestors, if they exist. In my case, a lot of the same people belong to multiple DNA Circles -- so any shared DNA could be from any of these ancestors, or from all of them.
    Last edited by geebee; 02-28-2019 at 05:02 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Judith (02-28-2019),  Torc Seanathair (02-28-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b (FGC5494)
    mtDNA
    Not tested

Geebee - I agree that DNA circles are not perfect but at least they have more of a scientific basis to them.

I noticed something else - looking at my matches, Ancestry has now added a filter for “common ancestor”. My aunt has a match with JB which it claims is through an ancestral couple who are 3rd g-grandparents. Here’s the strange thing: my aunt and JB have no shared DNA matches and JB only has 7 people in his tree (him/his parents/his grandparents).

The only way I can see Ancestry can create this connection is if they took JB’s tree and calculated it back using the tree of someone who hasn’t DNA tested. Seems likely to cause errors especially as JB hasn’t put dates in.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Loderingo For This Useful Post:

Judith (03-02-2019)

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast