Ethnicity
    White British
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R1b (FGC5494)
    mtDNA
    Not tested

I have been through all the new "common ancestors" generated by ThruLines for my Dad's kit:

- 12 with shaky leaves previously
    - 20 that I have now been able to identify a match for
    - 18 I'm not sure about currently
    - 6 that are definitely wrong

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loderingo For This Useful Post:

pmokeefe (03-03-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    UK
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b>L513>A7> BY11186
    mtDNA
    K1a4a1f

Scotland Wales Ireland England Germany Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    Things have moved... I now have 19 rather than 32 new/replacement ancestors. Ancestry’s algorithms must be learning fast.
    Thank you for that helpful information, Phoebe Watts. ThruLines for some reason ignored my Y-line great grandfather and instead incorrectly chose a later spouse of my paternal great grandmother as my Y-line great grandfather. I definitely have the right one selected as the father of my Y-line grandfather.

Anyway for now I temporarily broke the relationship of my paternal great grandmother and this second spouse so I'll see if ThruLines will select the right man soon. Apparently it can take a couple days to see changes.

Estimated ancestry after reviewing Ancestry.com, 23&Me, FTDNA My Origins, Living DNA and known family history:
    33% English, 27% Scottish, 18% Welsh, 18% Irish, 4% German/Netherlands

Y-DNA leads to Isle of Skye, Scottish Highlands: R1b>M343>L278>L754>L389>P297>M269>L23>L51>L151/L11>P312>Z290>L21/M529>DF13>L513/DF1>S5668>A7>Z21253> S7834 > S7828 > BY11203 > BY11186 (about 320-550 years old)

MTDNA leads to Glamorgan, South Wales: K1a4a1f

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert1 For This Useful Post:

Phoebe Watts (03-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand
    Yes mine has changed a bit as well.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    Yes mine has changed a bit as well.
    The algorithm wouldn't have to "learn fast" if it started with correct information to begin with. I have a linked tree. That linked tree does not include the folks who raised my maternal grandfather, because they were not his biological parents.

But who should appear in ThruLines? The folks who raised my maternal grandfather. In fact, they even appear when I filter by "Linked Tree". Yet DNA Circles uses my linked tree -- so clearly Ancestry understands what my linked tree actually is. So why has ThruLines apparently reverted to an older, deleted tree?

As I said before, I'm less troubled by the inclusion of "extra" ancestors I'm not actually related to, as I am by the omission of one fourth of my real ancestors. I don't think this is something the algorithm will actually learn its way around. It will have to first get the correct tree information.

And while I realize this is a beta feature, Ancestry is giving me the impression that they value me -- someone who has been a paying customer at the highest rate for years -- less than new customers who only buy a DNA kit and never join.

No offense to those of you in that category -- I mean, you did pay for your kits. It's just that I'd like to think that Ancestry doesn't value me less. (I paid for my kits, too. But as I said, I've also been a member for probably over a decade.)
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (03-02-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

Amusingly enough, I did see that I now have two 5th cousins once removed who may be descended from an ancestor of my maternal grandfather's adoptive father. The ancestor's name is Hans Jakob Blickensderfer, and ThruLines thinks he might be my 5th great grandfather.

But here's the thing. With one of the two "cousins" who descend from him, I have no shared matches. So you really can't tell anything from this one. And with the other, I actually have several shared matches. The closest is a 1st cousin to me -- on my father's side.

In fact, all the shared matches are on my father's side. So what this shows is that at least one of the two cousins descended from Hans Jakob Blickenderfer is likely related to me through my paternal ancestors. And that's part of the problem. While my parents are not related, as far as I can tell, there do seem to be a few connecting relatives.

My parents themselves are from completely different parts of the country -- Pennsylvania and Mississippi. But my mother has some ancestry from Ohio, and Ohio was partly settled by people from Pennsylvania. Since both sides of my family have some colonial roots, it's unsurprising that paths might have crossed at some point.

But again, if ThruLines really paid attention to my actual linked tree, they'd include the ancestors who appear among my DNA Circles. If they did, they'd see dozens of fairly close relatives -- such as a 1st cousin once removed, a 2nd cousin, a 2nd cousin once removed, and over a dozen 3rd cousins who all are connected to me through my biological great grandparents George and Hannah (Muncy) Babcock.

EDIT:

I'm hoping I'll have something positive to report later. I'm on the phone with someone from Ancestry now to try to figure out why ThruLines is using a deleted tree instead of my current linked tree.
    Last edited by geebee; 03-02-2019 at 04:00 AM.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (03-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    Y-DNA
    Z372
    mtDNA
    J2b1a-T16311C!

Cornwall New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by geebee View Post
    The algorithm wouldn't have to "learn fast" if it started with correct information to begin with. I have a linked tree. That linked tree does not include the folks who raised my maternal grandfather, because they were not his biological parents.

But who should appear in ThruLines? The folks who raised my maternal grandfather. In fact, they even appear when I filter by "Linked Tree". Yet DNA Circles uses my linked tree -- so clearly Ancestry understands what my linked tree actually is. So why has ThruLines apparently reverted to an older, deleted tree?

As I said before, I'm less troubled by the inclusion of "extra" ancestors I'm not actually related to, as I am by the omission of one fourth of my real ancestors. I don't think this is something the algorithm will actually learn its way around. It will have to first get the correct tree information.

And while I realize this is a beta feature, Ancestry is giving me the impression that they value me -- someone who has been a paying customer at the highest rate for years -- less than new customers who only buy a DNA kit and never join.

No offense to those of you in that category -- I mean, you did pay for your kits. It's just that I'd like to think that Ancestry doesn't value me less. (I paid for my kits, too. But as I said, I've also been a member for probably over a decade.)
    Interesting you say that.

My beef with Myheritage is if you uploaded a kit when it was free you got Auto clustering for free. While if you actually brought a MyHeritage kit to access AutoClustering you have to pay a subscription.

As it was I uploaded my Ancestry kit today and payed the $29US for that service, which was still far cheaper then the subscription option.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to timberwolf For This Useful Post:

Robert1 (03-02-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

Quote Originally Posted by timberwolf View Post
    Interesting you say that.

My beef with Myheritage is if you uploaded a kit when it was free you got Auto clustering for free. While if you actually brought a MyHeritage kit to access AutoClustering you have to pay a subscription.

As it was I uploaded my Ancestry kit today and payed the $29US for that service, which was still far cheaper then the subscription option.
    I might have a beef with that, too, if I'd bought a MyHeritage kit. But I actually uploaded an Ancestry file, a 23andMe file, and an FTDNA file. (Only, I also happen to have a MyHeritage subscription.)

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathlingram View Post
    This from a systems person at AncestryDNA :"Big Tree like any other big data systems today uses machine learning algorithms that over time develop intuition about correctness."

Hmmm
    So Mike Mulligan is correct.. their Big Tree software intuition works.. The first day they had the wrong Swedish 3rd great GF for me.. last night it is the correct one..

and as I "Tag" cousin matches to certain ancestors, as I go down the line for matches it shows my Moses Jones ( Welsh )'s son John and his wife as ancestors for many many matches..some are quite small

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

Things have moved... I now have 19 rather than 32 new/replacement ancestors. Ancestry’s algorithms must be learning fast.
    That is what machine learning is all about we provide it with data and feedback to learn from!
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    Back up to 34 new or replacement ancestors including the reintroduction of those that had been removed. The suggested father for a rural craftsman born 1780s in west Wales is a doctor born in Pennsylvania.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast