Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I have a bunch of ancestors who came in the 1600s and 1700s and have specific information on only a minority of them. For 1800s ancestors I actually know quite a bit.

Going through my immigrant ancestors, I have a couple who immigrated from Sweden in 1889, and know exactly where they were from.

I have a ggg grandfather who immigrated from England around 1871, and I know where he and his parents were from (his father had moved from Shropshire to the London area). On the lines related to this one, I have a bunch of people who settled in Canada in the 1820s and 1830s, and the records for this aren't great -- they generally don't seem to have ship records/immigration records easily available for this, perhaps because it was the same country, so I am pleased to hear the records are better for Australia. (I admit the Canadian records may be better than I realize, since I am not experienced with Canadian research and these are not my direct ancestors so I haven't worked that much with them.) I also have some who went to Australia or who are believed to have perhaps gone to Australia. Since the surname for them is Jones and I lack information, I need a match in Australia to get more information. (One line I do have potentially more information on, and they went to Australia sometime in the 1860s, but I haven't worked on the line at all, it's from a distant cousin who has decent sourcing, and I haven't confirmed it.)

My next most recent immigrant ancestors are my Welsh gggg-grandparents who came in the early 1840s, and I know where they were from.

Before then, it gets murkier in most cases, but this is specifically for Irish immigrants. I have a ggg-grandparent who came from Antrim, Ireland (probably, but no more details than that) in the 1830s. I have a ggg-grandparent who supposedly came from Ireland (nothing more than this, and I have questions even about this) sometime before 1837.

From the 1700s and 1600s people, I have locations for some of them, but it's true that in the majority of cases I don't know much at all (in some cases I think I could learn more if I worked on them, but that hasn't been my focus for a while, as I've been trying to trace everyone out of the country starting most recent immigrants and moving back). So I'm stuck on the two Irish ones mentioned above.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Phoebe Watts (03-27-2019),  Saetro (03-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    Welsh
    Y-DNA
    R-L21 DF13 (father)
    mtDNA
    J1c9

Wales England
    Not sure what happened but I’m down to one missing ancestor and only two replaced ancestors now.

More shared ancestor hints trickling in. Probably the result of tweaking some settings. Quite a few recent emigrants who know where their family emigrated from.
    All 32 3xgreat grandparents were Welsh. Two 6xgreat grandparents from England and a few Irish or English surnames before 1800. Paper trail shows several C11th to C14th Anglo-Norman lines and C11th Norse-Irish lines.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phoebe Watts For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (03-27-2019),  Saetro (03-27-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    American

United States of America Ireland Germany United Kingdom Switzerland Scotland
    I have quite a few 'private' people and a few others that ARE in my tree but they have a different name on the other tree which makes them a 'possible' relative. For example John Howard (1813) is my 5x great grandfather, but he's showing up as a potential ancestor because others have his name as John Jefferson Howard (m. Jackson) and his birth year as 1817. This is a similar case for a few other people in my tree/list. The date or name isn't exactly like mine so they are 'potential'.

My favorite thing about the thrulines is you can see how many DNA matches you have for each person and through which child.

I do wish it would go up to 6x great grandparents and not just 5 though.
    GedMatch Numbers:
    - 23andMe (regular) M242790 (Genesis) SR4885234 <Same Test, I didn't know I had to upload to Genesis as I am on Chip V. The regular is for 1-1 only>
    - Ancestry: A707709

Ancestry Username: valerieanne84

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    White European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    I-M223
    mtDNA
    T2b

England Scotland Germany Switzerland Italy Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
    I do wish it would go up to 6x great grandparents and not just 5 though.
    I wish it would go back even further than that - it's missing a lot of shared ancestors on my endogamous branches. For example, it'll pick up on shared 5th great grandparents but when I look into it, that person actually shares 2+ more sets of ancestors with me from further back. It's usually my mom's Mennonite branch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinBMc For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (04-01-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    Well, now my ThruLines are finally starting to pick up on my biological maternal grandfather and his ancestors. This is good, because now instead of seeing an adoptive great grandfather and no other DNA matches besides my own daughter and my sister's daughter -- who prove no common ancestors besides my parents -- I'm seeing lots more DNA matches.

For example, here's Moses Babcock. He's my 2nd great grandfather, my maternal grandfather's paternal grandfather. ThruLines is showing a connection through his Moses's daughter Mary, two connections through his daughter Lucinda, a connection through his son Henry, and four connections through his daughter Adelia. I'm descended through his son George. So here we have something like nine people connected through five different children of Moses Babcock.

That's a lot more significant that claiming that a father, a daughter, and a niece providing some kind of evidence for a person several generations before their most recent shared ancestors.

There's also John "Jailor" Sizemore, one of my 3rd great grandfather's on this same side. There are 28 matches connected through his daughter Mary Ann "Polly" Sizemore -- she's in the same branch I am, so this one includes me -- but also 6-7 matches through his daughter Nancy Sizemore, a match through his daughter Sarah "Sally" Ledford, and 7 matches through another (unnamed) Sizemore daughter.

The key thing is, these new ancestors in ThruLines not only fit my linked tree, they are also connected to quite a few shared matches. These include folks as close as the 3rd or even 2nd cousin level.

Oh, and my biological great grandparents are now included in ThruLines. Unfortunately, not all of their descendants who have tested at Ancestry meet the requirement of having a linked tree, but I do see one DNA match. He's a 2nd cousin once removed. His father also tested at Ancestry and has a linked tree -- and we happen to share 265 cM in 15 segments, according to Ancestry -- but his father's linked tree unfortunately is private. Still, I match the son because of his father's ancestry -- specifically, because his father and I share a pair of great grandparents.

My DNA Circles connected to this part of my tree still aren't back, which is unfortunate; but at least my ThruLines has tremendously improved. So I'm optimistic.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to geebee For This Useful Post:

Judith (04-10-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ger.-Brit.-Catalan-more
    Nationality
    (U.S.) American
    Y-DNA
    R-YP619*
    mtDNA
    H1bg

United Kingdom Germany Bayern Catalonia France Ireland Switzerland
    ThruLines now includes several (or possibly all) of the 5th great grandparents who are ancestral to me through my maternal grandfather. One of them, George All Sizemore shows over 500 DNA matches that are connected through him and his wife Agnes Shepherd, although about 80 of these are somewhat more closely related to me descend from the same daughter that I do.

In addition, this is a part of my tree that experienced high endogamy, so I'm likely related to a lot of these matches via multiple paths.

Even the largest of my DNA Circles -- which involves a different ancestor of my maternal grandfather -- had only a bit more than 450 members. But again, many of my DNA matches and I belonged to several connected DNA Circles.
    Besides British-German-Catalan, ancestry includes smaller amounts of French, Irish, Swiss, Choctaw & possibly Catawba. Avatar picture is: my father, his father, & his father's father; baby is my eldest brother.

GB

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Watts View Post
    Not sure what happened but I’m down to one missing ancestor and only two replaced ancestors now.

More shared ancestor hints trickling in. Probably the result of tweaking some settings. Quite a few recent emigrants who know where their family emigrated from.
    I messaged Ancestry.com via Messages ( I do that often) and asked how my ThruLInes Potential Ancestors who are wildly inaccurate can be removed.. They said this:"When you're on the ThruLines page there should be a box in the lower right asking for feedback regarding ThruLines. This box might not appear if you've already submitted feedback though, so for additional feedback we'll ask you to use this page: https://ancstry.me/2UeikKX"

So I did that and all of the Norway family of my father's step-grandfather have been magically removed.. and I was specific about a mistake on my Swedish 2nd Great grandparent..
    Overnight this happened.. Just wanted to share..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

Judith (04-10-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

I was looking at my 4g and 5g-grandparents on the line I'm currently working on and found several more matches that I wasn't aware of. Weirdly, one match whom I had identified but who had no shared matches now shows shared matches (which seem to confirm the expected relationship). Several other smaller matches on the same line showed up, connecting through 5g-grandparents, and when I looked at shared matches, they showed (with one exception) people I knew were related on that line and people who I have not identified but are in clusters with them. So although I want to trace back their ancestry myself to confirm the research, the connection suggested by their trees seems to be correct. This will be helpful going forward. So yay for ThruLines from me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Kathlingram (04-06-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

I am beginning to like it because the rubbish has gone. I am going through my tree adding the tags which allow you to say hypothesis, certain or uncertain about ancestors. Hopefully the learning algorithm will take that into account with it’s recommended ancestors as more people tag their trees. In one of my rants to them on the feedback I suggested they give us the facility to rate our own certainly and about a week later I found out how to do it!
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

msmarjoribanks (04-12-2019)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789