Nationality
    Murcan
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152 (Alsace)
    mtDNA
    T2a1a

United States of America Palestine Germany Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by TuaMan View Post
    On a tangential note, I was browsing through Wikipedia's list of hominin fossil remains not too long ago and noticed quite a few Neanderthal specimens from the Middle East and Central Asia that I hadn't previously known about from the tail end of the Middle Paleolithic and into the Upper. I think last year, archaeologists actually discovered even more Neanderthal remains from the famous Shanidar cave in Iraq. I don't have a reference handy, but I swear I've read before in previous papers that the more recently dated Middle Eastern Neanderthals tend to show more "derived" features relative to older specimens. Given the time and place, I have no doubt the change in morphology is due to breeding with modern human people in Southwest Asia between 50,000-100,000 years ago. It would be great if we could sequence the genome of any Neanderthal, Denisovan, or other "archaic" hominin we find from across Eurasia and see if we can find a hybrid archaic/modern human like the Neanderthal/Denisovan hybrid that was announced last year. There's naturally a small, finite number of any hominin remains out there to excavate, geneticists should be as thorough as possible in trying to extract data from any sample they come across, even the most archaic looking ones might be more relevant to contemporary people than we might initially think.
    A UK team is currently excavating new remains from Shanidar as we speak, with the Peshmerga running protection for them. It looks like they plan on getting DNA.

The tentative dating is 60kya-90kya, which is probably early enough for Basal Eurasians to be up around the Zagros, but too early for Crown Eurasians (assuming the single dispersal along the "southern coastal route" is accurate). I'd be very surprised if these Shanidar Neanderthals lacked homo sapiens ancestry...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K33 For This Useful Post:

artemv (03-05-2019),  TuaMan (03-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA
    C-F5481
    mtDNA
    M8a

Kyrgyzstan
    Quote Originally Posted by K33 View Post
    Where does it say this, in the Russian language link (I can't read russian)? Because I don't see it in the English language link...
    https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...o-am012919.php

DNA analyses were also performed on the hominin bones by Professor Svante Pääbo's team at the Max-Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, Germany. Diyendo Massiliani and colleagues reconstructed the complete mitochondrial genome of the specimen. It falls within a group of modern human mtDNAs (haplogroup N) that is widespread in Eurasia today, confirming the view of some researchers that the cranium is indeed a modern human. Further nuclear DNA work is underway to shed further light on the genetics of the cranium.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rozenfeld For This Useful Post:

epoch (03-06-2019),  K33 (03-05-2019),  palamede (03-05-2019),  rms2 (03-05-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Jewish & Slavic
    Nationality
    Israel & Russia
    Y-DNA
    I2a1b - S17250
    mtDNA
    R0a4

Israel Israel Jerusalem Russian Federation Serbia Montenegro
    Quote Originally Posted by TuaMan View Post
    Given the time and place, I have no doubt the change in morphology is due to breeding with modern human people in Southwest Asia between 50,000-100,000 years ago. It would be great if we could sequence the genome of any Neanderthal, Denisovan, or other "archaic" hominin we find from across Eurasia and see if we can find a hybrid archaic/modern human like the Neanderthal/Denisovan hybrid that was announced last year.
    Wait-wait-wait... Until now we even have no Denisovan skeleton, just a few teeth and a bone from a finger. But I guess we will have in a few years as too much people are working on it.
    Last edited by artemv; 03-05-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12