Thread: AtDNA results-can you just join them together for siblings to create a "family" atDNA

Registered Users
    ancestry Irish, Scot, Eng (Devon,Somerset,Lancashire,Cheshire, Shrop,Essex)+ Crossen(Oder)-Gruenberg
    Ethnicity
    Celt? Vik? East-Ger Sorb?
    Nationality
    YDNA Hub. R1b/U106/S1688
    Y-DNA
    f.R1aCTS11962/L1029?
    mtDNA
    K1a26

AtDNA results-can you just join them together for siblings to create a "family" atDNA

Hi everyone,

I haven't tried and won't have the time for a while, but it seems like a good idea to just join together the atDNA results for siblings in a family with the same parents to create a "family" , or "joint-parent" atDNA which should be able to be used as a perosn to get better search results? Just wondering if others have done this before? though I expect so. I even expect maybe there's software to do this..otherwise they are just text files, right, so should be fairly easy to do.

I have my hubbies at FTDNA and now his brother and soon (I hope0 his sister from ancetsry.. should be able to amalgamate for a better search that doesn't miss as many SNPs that could possibly have been inherited from parents (based on siblngs all inherit some different SNPs unless identical twins).

best, Jan

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Combining these results can recreate most of what the parents had.
    If you have one parent you can recreate most of the other.
    If you have no parents by some first cousins' DNA, you know which side that came from and can tease that out.
    GEDmatch can do either with its Lazarus tool.
    There are some other tools around.
    See isogg/wiki > Autosomal > Tools for details and sites with guidance

Working out which of one person's DNA came from which parent is called "phasing".
    The exercise above might also be called phasing - by extension.

What is certainly called "visual phasing" is a method of doing this sort of thing manually.
    You will definitely need the guidance of resources at the above-mentioned isogg/wiki site.
    There are videos and all sorts of help on this.
    With several siblings DNA to go on you can tease out the DNA segments into which parent had which.
    Again, it helps to have DNA from first or second cousins - or aunts and uncles if you are lucky.
    Again, you can use your reconstructed person at GEDmatch to look for family.
    It takes a bit of work, but if you have the raw materials, why not?

Friends who have used Lazarus found it straightforward.
    Those who like visual phasing found it took application but was rewarding.

There might be difficulties if you have contributions from the same lines on both sides of the family.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Jan_Noack (03-18-2019),  Onur Dincer (03-12-2019),  slievenamon (03-11-2019)