Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-V13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Ireland Northern Ireland England Lithuania Germany
    Another small clue that John would be related to Joseph and Thomas is that on Thomas' 1851 census he has a "nurse-child" living in the household, Thomas married but never seemed to have children, who's name was "William Elsmore". Rebeccas, Johns wife, mothers maiden name was Elsemere.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    I have loads of "Sanders" in a distant county.
    They spent 150 years signing their name as such after the minister had already written down "Saunders".
    Must have had a broad country accent.
    And where did all the "Alexander"s go, since "Saunders" is Alexander's son?

All you can do is to map every scrap of information in the surrounding districts.
    I have sometimes looked at which towns held annual hiring fairs (check the gazetteer section of contemporary directories).
    My idea has been that ag labs would probably have gone to the same one repeatedly, so it might suggest a radius around there to search.
    But of course if pickings were thin in one area, they may have gone to another nearby fair.
    No success so far with this idea, although others have sometimes said this had worked for them.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Saetro; 03-12-2019 at 10:03 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

BackToTheForests (03-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-V13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by Saetro View Post
    I have loads of "Sanders" in a distant county.
    They spent 150 years signing their name as such after the minister had already written down "Saunders".
    Must have had a broad country accent.
    And where did all the "Alexander"s go, since "Saunders" is Alexander's son?
    I love the origin story of the surname, my Y is a subclade of E-V13 so it may very well be true
    I agree that the best I can do is to take all of the information I can find and try to untangle the absolute mess of it all. Great idea about the hiring fairs, I'll see how far back I can go on that and see if I can connect some dots. Thank you for taking the time.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    LebaGermish
    Y-DNA
    P312>DF19>DF88>S4268
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1e

United States of America Lebanon Germany England Belgium Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheForests View Post
    I don't know if this makes any difference but John passed away of "dropsical". I hate looking into medical conditions so I haven't googled this term yet, I doubt it will help anything but thought I should include it.

Thanks for reading the rantings of a madman!
    From Wiki (looked up "Dropsy"):

Edema, also spelled oedema or œdema, is an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the interstitium, located beneath the skin and in the cavities of the body, which can cause severe pain. Clinically, edema manifests as swelling. The amount of interstitial fluid is determined by the balance of fluid homeostasis and the increased secretion of fluid into the interstitium. The word is from Greek οἴδημα oídēma meaning "swelling".[1] The condition is also known (mostly archaic) as dropsy.
    R1b>M269>L23>L51>L11>P312>DF19>DF88>FGC11833 >S4281>S4268>Z17112 (S17075-)

Y-cousin: 6DRIF-23 (DF19>>Z17112+, S17075+)

Ancestors: Francis Cooke (M223/I2a2a) b1583; Hester Mahieu (Cooke) (J1c2 mtDNA) b.1584; Richard Warren (E-M35) b1578; Elizabeth Walker (Warren) (H1j mtDNA) b1583;
    John Mead (I2a1/P37.2) b1634; Rev. Joseph Hull (I1, L1301+ L1302-) b1595; Benjamin Harrington (M223/I2a2a-Y5729) b1618; Joshua Griffith (L21>DF13) b1593;
    John Wing (U106) b1584; Hermann Wilhelm (DF19) b1635

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-V13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post

Edema, also spelled oedema or œdema, is an abnormal accumulation of fluid in the interstitium, located beneath the skin and in the cavities of the body, which can cause severe pain. Clinically, edema manifests as swelling. The amount of interstitial fluid is determined by the balance of fluid homeostasis and the increased secretion of fluid into the interstitium. The word is from Greek οἴδημα oídēma meaning "swelling".[1] The condition is also known (mostly archaic) as dropsy.
    Oh, thank you, I can only imagine Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-V13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

A question about parish burials, is the age listed more accurate than the death registration or is the same information going to be used on both?

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    mixed European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    Dad: R1b/L21/DF63
    mtDNA
    K2b2

Quote Originally Posted by BackToTheForests View Post
    I suppose the best that I can hope for is to cross reference each baptism record with the 1841 census. I've got 12 census' and a little over 40 baptism records...
    It's tough. I had some success sorting out Joneses in Diddlebury, Shropshire, so it can be done, to a point, but at least they mostly stayed put.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to msmarjoribanks For This Useful Post:

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    Brother I2-M26 I2a1a
    mtDNA
    H4a1a1a

Many of my ancestors were from around Burton on Trent and you absolutely cannot rely on people being local in that time frame. Between 1750 and 1800 many families moved to there fro the surrounding area, from distances in my case of about 40miles. I have become certain of them now but the key is how I found them. It was following siblings and where they were born I was lucky with parents and siblings living together in the 1851 census. I found the family had moved about 1790.
    Burton on Trent was an expanding town, both pottery and beer in the industrial revolution.
    You cannot rely on of this parish being correct since the fees were less for locals so if a financé was from elsewhere they could be declared from this parish just to pay less for the banns.
    Just for fun my GEDmatch no with most BoT is T212910, perhaps we share a little?
    Image “Westray wifie” replica of Neolithic figurine Hidden Content
    Out of 64 pre 1800 births 45% Cheshire, 1% Irish (or Scottish), 25% south Derbyshire, 13% Burton on Trent area (where 4 counties within 10 miles), 7% Shropshire, 1% Staffs, 8% Lancs. So far all British Isles despite what some testing companies say.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Judith For This Useful Post:

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    E-V13>Z5018>S2972*
    mtDNA
    U5a2c3a

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    You cannot rely on of this parish being correct since the fees were less for locals so if a financé was from elsewhere they could be declared from this parish just to pay less for the banns.
    Just for fun my GEDmatch no with most BoT is T212910, perhaps we share a little?
    That makes so much sense, perhaps why I cannot find certain baptism records of relatives who were supposedly local. I do know that the family was poor, no question about it, so I will certainly keep this information in mind. Thank you! Unfortunately we have any segments in common but thank you for sharing. My kit is M814467 if anyone would like to try.

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewsloth View Post

Edema is often associated with people who have heart health problems - with the heart pumping more feebly.
    Modern treatment may include diuretics to get rid of excess liquid.

I seem to recall some characters in literature looking puffy - "dropsical" - not long before they died of heart attack.
    Many people used to be said to have died of dropsy, (on death certificates as well as by ordinary persons) but this was just a symptom of the underlying condition.
    Last edited by Saetro; 03-13-2019 at 08:33 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Dewsloth (03-13-2019)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast