Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2a1a1b
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1a3a1*

Finland Sami
    We ate so much red meat when I was growing up, I'm not very fond of it these days [we had beef cattle]. I probably consume less than 2 pounds of red meat in any given year. When I eat it, I want it hot and bloody and I want it to be a rib eye. If it isn't hot and bloody, then it must be eaten the next day, very cold.

Now it is lipeškala, lutfisk, lutefisk, ludefisk season, but I'll pass, and if I have to be in the same house where it is cooking, I'll pass out.
    Last edited by ilmari; 12-06-2013 at 01:17 AM.
    Genographic Project: N52850
    GenBank: EU784076
    Z62+ Z60+ Z59+ Z58+ P38+ P30+ P19+ M307+ M258+ M253+ M170+ Z73- Z140- P37.2- P259- P109- M72- M26- M227- M223- M21- M161- L803- L573- L338- L22- L211- L1248- L1247-

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmari For This Useful Post:

basque (12-06-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    See flags below
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1f
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b->DF27->A7080

United States of America Germany Imperial Austrian Empire Germany Palatinate Scotland Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by utR! View Post
    Never heard about PETA. Is it in your country or in other countries? You members do you have meetings in good restaurants eating together or so?

utR!
    It's not a REAL organization that I know of. It's to mock those people who think animals are equal to humans .. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) www.peta.org

I remember I was looking to end a blind date and recalled my date had no meat for dinner. I said, " I'm a member of PETA." She said I am too. I said, "Yea I just love all kinds of meat and butchering. PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals is a great organization. My grandfather was butcher and I still get such a thrill cutting up all the meat." She just got a disgusting look on her face and left. No words, no drama , no hassle and no awkwardness (for me)....
    Last edited by thetick; 12-06-2013 at 06:12 AM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thetick For This Useful Post:

basque (12-06-2013),  MikeWhalen (12-06-2013),  newtoboard (12-06-2013),  Scarlet Ibis (12-09-2013),  utR! (12-06-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinton P View Post
    Charles Darwin had a huge interest in food, and during his time in Cambridge he was the President of the infamous Glutton Club. The main objective of the club was to seek and eat "strange flesh" and dine upon the rarest "birds and beasts which were before unknown to human palate". The club met weekly and was a roaring success. They ate such beautiful birds as the bittern and hawk. The club eventually came to an abrupt end when a tawny owl was served up.
    On the Beagle voyage he ate armadilloes ('taste like duck'), puma ('veal'), iguana and Giant Tortoise. A Phylum Feast is a shared meal containing as many different species as possible, eaten by biologists on February 12th to celebrate Darwin’s birthday.

Clinton P
    There seem exists lot of animals which are eatable in this world quite few species are extinct. When you are really hungry you need to survive and hunt all sort of animals.

Have you been to a Phylum feast?

utR!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by thetick View Post
    It's not a REAL organization that I know of. It's to mock those people who think animals are equal to humans .. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) www.peta.org

I remember I was looking to end a blind date and recalled my date had no meat for dinner. I said, " I'm a member of PETA." She said I am too. I said, "Yea I just love all kinds of meat and butchering. PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals is a great organization. My grandfather was butcher and I still get such a thrill cutting up all the meat." She just got a disgusting look on her face and left. No words, no drama , no hassle and no awkwardness (for me)....
    What a story you have to share. Animals are not equal to humans but they need to be treated well. They have been given for our good never to be idolized like monkeys, cows and others.

Most of females are not made to do some works like butchering or shooting and killing animals. It is , a bit bloody work but work as other work still. Also it needs to be done well and professionally.

utR!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmari View Post
    We ate so much red meat when I was growing up, I'm not very fond of it these days [we had beef cattle]. I probably consume less than 2 pounds of red meat in any given year. When I eat it, I want it hot and bloody and I want it to be a rib eye. If it isn't hot and bloody, then it must be eaten the next day, very cold.

Now it is lipeškala, lutfisk, lutefisk, ludefisk season, but I'll pass, and if I have to be in the same house where it is cooking, I'll pass out.
    We had cattle when I was living in the farm. I got used to farmlife and animals.

We used to have that lipeškala for Christmas, my mother's and father's delicious food. Yes that smell was something I knew Xmas is coming ...

It is one of the food I do not want freely to eat. I like cod but it must have been some other fish that time.

But my mother's Karelian stew was best. She was an expert to cook it slowly in moderate/low temperature in the owen. Both pork and beef was well done and soft. The juice (a lot of it) was creasy and just right salt in it. Karelian stew was done only for the festivities mainly.

utR!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to utR! For This Useful Post:

ilmari (12-07-2013),  MikeWhalen (12-06-2013),  Scarlet Ibis (12-09-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    Dad was a Metzgermeister (Augsburg). The meat was always choice and the grill ready to go.
    So you ate variable choice of meat food not only beef but others too?

utR!
    Last edited by utR!; 12-06-2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: I added YOU

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Finnish
    mtDNA (M)
    H1n4
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1d3a

Finland
    Quote Originally Posted by TŠltos View Post
    I'm not really sure. I would usually prefer chicken and fish, but once I was pregnant, it was red meat all the way. I kind of figured it was just maybe needing extra protein for the baby. Most pregnant women supposedly crave ice cream and pickles in the middle of the night, my poor husband had to go out at 4 am for beef jerky. And that was because I was having an intense craving for Venison (deer) jerky! I would also crave milk, would go through a gallon by myself every two days. My husband, poor guy never had any left over for him. Interestingly enough in that time period I also developed a love for grapefruit and grapefruit juice. I would never have consumed them before that.
    Maybe it is natural instint to eat protein food for a baby to grow and be healty when to be born.

In meat beef there is 22 g protein/100 g. And it keeps a hunger away longer than cholehydrate.

And there are still white meat to be chosen taste is milder.

utR!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to utR! For This Useful Post:

basque (12-06-2013),  TŠltos (12-06-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21

I am a believer that some people are much healthier when they stick to mainly stone age type diet of meat, fish, nuts, berries and leaves. A heavily carbohydrate diet was fairly late to arrive in northern Europe and even then the slump in the Neolthic farmers, probably due to the climate not being reliable for a continental template to be applied, soon led to a big downturn in cereals. Even until a century or so ago, bread really wasnt much eaten in places like western Ireland and the Scottish Highlands where oats were more reliable and the only significant cereal grown. The only big augment to the diet was the potato, which could grown in these conditions. The diet of milk, butter, potatos, eggs and fish (and whiskey lol) actually was a much healthier diet than the bread based diet of much of Europe. I think if you have that sort of ancestry then bread is really just an addition of the last 2 centuries or so and of course rice, pasta etc are very modern. People of that sort of ancestry have had far far less time to adapt to it than say Med. people who have been eating bread for the last 8 or 9 thousand years. I think sugar and carbs are the main reason for the obesity epidemic IMO. Northern Europeans in particular just are not adapted to that sort of diet where the energy largely goes straight into the blood as sugar.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

basque (12-07-2013),  utR! (12-08-2013)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Omitted
    mtDNA (M)
    H
    Y-DNA (P)
    L21

I have also read that the American practice of corn or corn syrup feeding cattle actually shows the symptoms of diabetes in the animal in the fat patterning of the meat. This is not a problem in Europe and south America where they are grass fed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan For This Useful Post:

basque (12-07-2013),  TŠltos (12-08-2013)

Sex
    Omitted

Yes there is a connection to obesity, but be careful not to blame it all on bread though. It is mostly due to sugars in additives in American diet today. Earlier people ate more bread than today but stayed slim. A man who worked on the field or factory in the early days had to have some carbohydrates. Also Med. diet is acknowledged as a main contributor for good health and lifespan. Here you do have a point though, that some people are more predisposed for certain foods, but not quite as much as you have explained.

It is trendy nowadays to dismiss bread for the sake of paleo-diet, as there are certainly predispositions to certain foods. But there is also a strange online hype for the idealized image of a brute warrior hunter who eats meat and bones (while bread is for wimps). I instead always had a picture of a skinny bushman instead, for some reason, and while an avid hunter gatherer, he is not known as a warrior though. And while hunter gathering technique is the best for it time, it would be impossible to cope with any significant rise in population. Today still, animal husbandry is the main cause of methane gases in the atmosphere. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy meat and dairy and I probably eat more of it than most people. But there is a lot of childish arrogance in this online trend, not realizing you, me, your computer and civilization as a whole wouldn't be here today if not for the pesky carbohydrates.

Irish potato love is a product of the so called Great famine actually. This happened despite the fact that Ireland produced more than enough crops to feed its people. Irish Catholics were actually prohibited from owning and leasing land among other things. The land question brought a system of the so called absentee landlords who used impoverished tenants to work the farms producing crops for export and being paid minimal wages. This idealized potato eating habit was in reality described like this: "It would be impossible adequately to describe the privations which they [Irish labourer and his family] habitually and silently endure . . . in many districts their only food is the potato, their only beverage water . . . their cabins are seldom a protection against the weather... a bed or a blanket is a rare luxury . . . and nearly in all their pig and a manure heap constitute their only property."

“Although the potato crop failed, the country was still producing and exporting more than enough grain crops to feed the population. „

Even then the potato was still not seen as staple food.
    “By the late 17th century, it had become widespread as a supplementary rather than a principal food because the main diet still revolved around butter, milk, and grain products.“

There is actually a 30000 year old bread substitute used in Europe before the Neolithic immigrants.
    Simple truth is that West Europe and quite a lot of north Europe has a bit deeper connection to bread than you would like to admit (strangely).
    French are most renowned for the simple bread loaf. People were eating 3 baguettes a day in 1900 and were perfectly fit compared with today’s people who eat half a baguette. This trend started in seventies with a fall to one baguette daily. The love for bread in West Europe is probably passed down directly through the Gauls, Celts and Romans.

“ Pliny the Elder reported that the Gauls and Iberians used the foam skimmed from beer to produce "a lighter kind of bread than other peoples." Parts of the ancient world that drank wine instead of beer used a paste composed of grape mustand flour that was allowed to begin fermenting, or wheat bran steeped in wine, as a source for yeast.“

And, don’t think you would like to dissmiss out beer and whiskey yet. You know what we need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I am a believer that some people are much healthier when they stick to mainly stone age type diet of meat, fish, nuts, berries and leaves. A heavily carbohydrate diet was fairly late to arrive in northern Europe and even then the slump in the Neolthic farmers, probably due to the climate not being reliable for a continental template to be applied, soon led to a big downturn in cereals. Even until a century or so ago, bread really wasnt much eaten in places like western Ireland and the Scottish Highlands where oats were more reliable and the only significant cereal grown. The only big augment to the diet was the potato, which could grown in these conditions. The diet of milk, butter, potatos, eggs and fish (and whiskey lol) actually was a much healthier diet than the bread based diet of much of Europe. I think if you have that sort of ancestry then bread is really just an addition of the last 2 centuries or so and of course rice, pasta etc are very modern. People of that sort of ancestry have had far far less time to adapt to it than say Med. people who have been eating bread for the last 8 or 9 thousand years. I think sugar and carbs are the main reason for the obesity epidemic IMO. Northern Europeans in particular just are not adapted to that sort of diet where the energy largely goes straight into the blood as sugar.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nirvana For This Useful Post:

basque (12-07-2013),  TŠltos (12-08-2013)

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast