Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1% Burusho in Ancestry from British person, just noise?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Scotland England United Kingdom

1% Burusho in Ancestry from British person, just noise?

(Sorry this was actually meant to go into the Ancestry DNA section on the website)

So my ancestry DNA results are as follows:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe
    90%
    Northern England & the Midlands
    West Midlands & North West England
    Yorkshire & Pennines
    Ireland & Scotland
    5%
    Scotland
    Sweden
    4%
    Burusho
    1%

All my grand parents were born in UK. One was born in Scotland and the others were born in Yorkshire and Lancashire. I can be pretty confident further back as well. Although it's always generally been assumed in my family that there may be influence from somewhere else because of my Grandads swarthy look and me and my sister are pretty swarthy looking as well, even in comparison to my parents.

I'm wondering whether this 1% Burusho is just noise or something of relevance? It wasn't there in my previous estimate, so interested in why it's just popped up. And don't think any of my matches have this 1% as well. I initially thought these small percentages were just noise, and to just dismiss them or treat them with a pinch of salt. But i've been reading forums and people seem to be giving a lot of creedence to these small percentages. What Gedmatch tests might be good to look into this a bit more?

Thanks
    Last edited by Hobknobbob12; 03-13-2019 at 05:50 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobknobbob12 For This Useful Post:

laltota (03-13-2019),  Nino90 (03-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway Austrian Empire United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    Out of casual curiosity, I just looked up Burusho at Wikipedia/Google/ They are also known as Hunza, and are located in northern Pakistan. What struck me was that of the four clans making up that group, two trace their paternal lineages back to Balkan/East Europe diaspora, according to their tradition. Well anyway, that is something new to me.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 03-13-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Yes, I was reading that too, although sadly I don't think I could find anymore information about it as it was just mentioned in passing and they are already quite a discreet population because of their way of life- live in mountains etc..

Does it mean that at some point two of the paternal lineages moved into the North region of Pakistan from the Balkans, or that a diaspora left towards the Balkans? They are also allegedly descended from armies of Alexander the Great during macedonian times I think.

Who knows, I have the r1a haplogroup, which is found all over Eastern Europe. Maybe I have some Burusho ancestor some time ago!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobknobbob12 For This Useful Post:

Baltimore1937 (03-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Irish/English
    Nationality
    English
    Y-DNA
    Possibly R1b
    mtDNA
    H1a3a1

England North of England Ireland Scotland Wales Romani Star of David
    It could be Romani.
    Ethnogene (most accurate so far IMO): Frisian 2.8%, Scottish 19.2%, Welsh 2.4%, English 29.0%, Irish 31.7%, Cornish 1.9%, Irish Traveller 4.0%, French 2.6%, Dutch 1.0%, German 1.8%, Western Indian 1.1%, Central/Southern Ashkenazi 1.0%, Norwegian 1.5%

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.- Frank Zappa

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Yes that could be a possibility. My aunt told me that there maybe Romani, but I don't know if it's just a myth running within the family or not. I have done GEDMATCH tests and looked at spreadsheet to see whether I have unnuasual amount of S.A/ West.A than the av. brit of western european, but it doesn't seem that way. But don't know which would be calc to use. I've done the Global monte 25 but don't know if that's ideal for small percentages. Might give ethnogene a shot, as looking at your qoute for you it's been the best so far?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

# Population Percent
    1 West_European 50.92
    2 Mediterranean 24.80
    3 East_European 14.38
    4 West_Asian 7.88
    5 Southwest_Asian 1.01

That's my Dodecade V3 results. Reading some of the threads talking about 'perd' where Romanis derive from estern europe, balkans and India. These results may be indicative of roma ancestry. I have 2% higher West Asian than average brit, sizeable chunk of Eastern european and 1% of S.A.

And the oracl shows 1 CEU_HapMap + CEU_HapMap + Argyll_1000 Genomes + Slovenian_Xing @ 0.280545. The slovenian coupled with other pops also might say something. The fact I have such a close distance as well.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Celtiberian
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-BY36857
    mtDNA
    H20

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ
    Honestly, I think you're giving those old oracles too much credit (I don't even like Dodecad that much tbh). Besides it's perfectly normal for there to be variation within each ethnic groups
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>BY36857. Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7679"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,76.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,15
    Guanche,8.4

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

Adam A (03-14-2019),  JerryS. (03-14-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Yes possibly. I've read the thorough thread about testing for Romani DNA and I understand that admix should consist of balkans, ee and s.a. But this may be arbitrary unless you have matches with romanis either more broadly, or possibly only in the native area you're from. So I'm wondering if there is a data-set of Romanichal gedmatch kits that I could compare my DNA to see if there is any shared dna?

I don't want to sound like someone on some fruitless and frenzied search here, but I don't think it's fair when people lambast those pursuing these 'ethnic' ties as I wouldn't be doing it unless I had a valid reason.

For anyone who has some knowledge about romani inheritance. Here's my GEDMATCH kit number:

Ask if interested
    Last edited by Hobknobbob12; 03-14-2019 at 01:59 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobknobbob12 For This Useful Post:

laltota (03-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pakistani - Potohar
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA
    R2-FGC13203*
    mtDNA
    W1c

Pakistan United Kingdom
    burusho people arent romani they are a small group of tribal people so doubt any mixing took place?, as far as im aware (unless someone can explain it better) if its romani its within Rajasthan, Punjab area most likely - could even be haplogroup related maybe?
    Gedmatch Kits:
    MJ1661095 Myheritage
    JZ1078191 Ancestry
    HN6848975 23andme

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber29 For This Useful Post:

laltota (03-13-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Yes that's what I initially thought, although I think it's maybe more talking about a region like England, Wales Northwestern Europe? It does seem unusual to get results from a population where their 'villages lie at elevations of 9,000 feet, surrounded by the ice fields and towering peaks of the Karakoram Mountains', but like other regions it shows a whole area that covers parts of kyrgyzstan, Tajikstan, China, Afghanistan, Nepal and India so it could very well be showing some Romani inheritance.

You have to consider historical migration into UK aswel which can be split up into modern post 1800s and more ancient with the Jews in 1000ad, Romas 1500 and Laskhars 1800 century. With also some merchant traders form middle-east during times of Queen Elizabeths reign. Don't know at what point a Burusho migrant in that timeframe would decide to travel to the UK, but not all migrations can surely be accounted for. Methods of transport would have surely caused limitations in mobility for a large percent of the population during many of these time periods as well.

Well the romani haplogroup I think is a H one and I don't have that as I have R1a, but that doesn't mean I still couldn' have romani ancestry or some other heritage that is from said region.
    Last edited by Hobknobbob12; 03-13-2019 at 07:38 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobknobbob12 For This Useful Post:

laltota (03-13-2019)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast