Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1% Burusho in Ancestry from British person, just noise?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Scotland England United Kingdom
    dsfadfadf
    Last edited by Hobknobbob12; 03-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hobknobbob12 For This Useful Post:

randwulf (03-14-2019)

Gold Member Class
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA
    R1b-U152-Z36+FGC6511
    mtDNA
    H11a2a

United States of America Germany England France Scotland Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobknobbob12 View Post

EDIT:

Okay, so I looked at which part of the chromosone we share centigroms and it is on chromoson 20 between 52,728,945 56,548,520. How do I then identify where that is when looking at admix chromosone painter on the one chromosone?
    There are numbers on the scale at the 10,000,000 boundaries and a tick mark for each 1,000,000 in between. So you want to find the "50" on chromosome 20 and start looking between two and three ticks past 50 and stop between six and seven ticks past 50.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Nationality
    Irish
    Y-DNA
    R-L21
    mtDNA
    V

Ireland Ireland Munster
    The first thing to do is check to see if your parents are related. In all cases, you must do this first. If you and your sister are darker skinned than your parents, you could have picked up the same SNP variation for dark skin from each. You can check this on GEDmatch. In small villages, many people are related in forgotten ways, going back hundreds of years.

Next I would look up the genetics of skin color. I bet you will find discussion of this on the forum, and they will have all the details sorted out for you. On the wikipedia you could start with Human Skin Color, and then follow each gene to its individual page. You are looking for the RS numbers that I think will be in your raw data. For example SLC24A5 is one of the major genes regulating skin color in Europeans, and the SNP is rs1426654 (as far as I know), and A means light colored skin.

(A;A) 2.7 probably light-skinned, European ancestry
    (A;G) 2.5 mixed European + (African or Asian) ancestry possible
    (G;G) 2.6 probably darker-skinned, Asian or African ancestry

There are many other genes to check. Don't be impatient to learn everything at once. A 1% Asian ancestor would be from 200+ years ago, so it will take some digging.
    Last edited by Garvan; 03-14-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Scottish/English/British
    Y-DNA
    R1a1a1b1a3/ R-S7759

Scotland England United Kingdom
    I just checked the rs1426654 mutation and I have AA. I also checked a few others and was surprised to fin dI have two mutations that cause reduced tanning and are found within redheads rs1805007 (CC) and rs1805008 (CC)

With the Ser192Tyr (rs1042602[58]), found solely in 40–50% of Europeans[20][28] and linked to light-colored skin in studies of both mixed-race South Asian[53] and African-America. I had (AC). I can tan pretty well though, and def probably go about 2-3 shades darker. I recently did the Hersplex skin-tone calc. and it had me conclusively down as being medium skin tone.

I also have dark brown hair- the type of brown that can look black when there isn't much light. My Grandad had almost like an Afro, density wise. It was really dense and it would like stay static a few inches in the air. I know having curly hair can be quite common in celtic populations, although I've never been familiar with celts having culry hair which is also very thick.He had a thickness to his which suggests African/Spanish which is why initially I thought he may have had some sephardic Jewish, although maybe this is testament to how wrong pseudo-scientific ideas can be. Come to think of it, people with red hair can have very thick and dense hair.

I think I've exhausted the possiibilities of finding out whether I have any admixture from Romani or Jewish. I've emailed Doug Macdonald to see if he can look at my results, but I might leave it at that if it doesn't come to anything. Still might do some segment comparison which Is very useful- glad I found out about that. And of course the science is always improving, but focusing on something which is 1% in comparison to my predominant admixture might be doing myself a disservice.

But obv I'll try to look into that further for better understanding.

What perhaps more interesting (and a bit strange) is I looked to see if my parents were related and they share 10 centigroms on chromosone 4 at 7417848 13442557.

Could this mean anything?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hobknobbob12; 03-15-2019 at 02:51 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234