Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

England Italy Germany Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by aafusc2988 View Post
    I consistently get 1-2% Sub-Saharan on many GEDmatch calculators, and just got my 23andMe results back that show 0.4% SSA: 0.3% Ghanaian, Liberian & Sierra Leonean and 0.1% Broadly SSA. My mom on AncestryDNA has 1% Mali, and two close matches I have from her side also got this strange 1% Mali. On my previous AncestryDNA results, I had 2% Africa North before it dropped off.. but just got 0.3% Western Asian & North African: 0.2% North African & Arabian. I get 2-4% Northwest Africa on many GEDmatch calculators, and also get those populations as secondary on admixtures on some of the tests...
    if you AND close family members keep getting this trace across the board on all or most of the calculators then there might very well be something to it. maybe a 1700s slave in Europe gave birth to a half European baby.... and with Europe, especially France being less restrictive on race issues comparatively back then.....

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Nuts

United States of America
    Your DNA autosomal results are testing non-exom regions also known as "junk" DNA. Your results are not genes which determines ones phenotype which is less than 2% of genes. The test compares population data to specific regions on the loci where there is some variant.

Theoretically, .01 African could have been detected as a geographical similarity rather than a specific marker only found in the samples group which would be statistical error or noise. If it was over 1% would be of more intrigue.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AppalachianGumbo For This Useful Post:

jetshop (05-20-2019),  Nino90 (04-21-2019)

Suspended Account
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    1/2 Ilocano 1/2 Tagalog
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    C-M130
    mtDNA
    B4a1a

Philippines
    Eurogenes calc's creator said on their blog that anything under 1% can be dismissed as "noise".

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    NW European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R1b-L196
    mtDNA
    T2b4a

United States of America England Ireland German Confederation Prussia Rheinland Germany Palatinate
    What if it's under 1% but at 90% confidence? Even at 80% confidence level 23andMe has Spanish & Portuguese at 0.7% for me... no idea where that's coming from. At 50% confidence it's 1.1% Spanish & Portuguese (and 1.0% on South Asian beta). It's on chromosome 19...

At 90% confidence I am also 0.2% Broadly West African and another 0.1% Broadly Sub-Saharan African. (Chromosomes 1 and 3 IIRC)
    Last edited by aafusc2988; 05-02-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

What if it's under 1% but at 90% confidence? Even at 80% confidence level 23andMe has Spanish & Portuguese at 0.7% for me... no idea where that's coming from. At 50% confidence it's 1.1% Spanish & Portuguese (and 1.0% on South Asian beta). It's on chromosome 19...

At 90% confidence I am also 0.2% Broadly West African and another 0.1% Broadly Sub-Saharan African. (Chromosomes 1 and 3 IIRC)
    without contributing factors that could support it I'd dismiss it.

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Romanised Paesuri
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA
    E-Y168273
    mtDNA
    H20 (H20c?)

Asturias Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ

My missus also has a few decimals of Sardinian at 90% confidence. How likely is it for someone from a small isolated village in the interior of Portugal has a specifically Sardinian ancestor in the last couple of centuries?
    I really wouldn't bother myself with a few decimals unless there's actual evidence for it
    YDNA - E-Y31991>PF4428>BY36858>E-Y168273 (probably Scythian-Sarmatian). Domingos Rodrigues, b. circa 1680 Hidden Content , Viana do Castelo, Portugal
    mtDNA - H20. Maria Josefa de Almeida, b. circa 1750 Hidden Content , Porto, Portugal

Global25 PCA West Eurasia dataset Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

[1] "distance%=1.7726"

Ruderico

Celtiberian,77.6
    Roman_Imperial_proxy,13.6
    Guanche,8.8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruderico For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (05-02-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Just because a small segment like 0.1% "sticks around" at higher confidence levels certainly does not mean it is significant and "real". For example, in my own 23andme results, I have a 0.1% "Siberian" segment, and a couple of "Broadly Sub-Saharan African" segments that add up to 0.1%. The Siberian segment is even still there in my chromosome painting at 90% confidence. But, both of my parents have no such segments anywhere, and have different european assignments at that same location on these chromosomes.

Conclusion: These segments are simply mid-identified by 23andme's comparative algorithms as Siberian and african in my results.

Moral: If you really want to know whether that 0.1% African segment is real, the first step is to get your parents tested. If the segment is in the same place on the same chromosome as your parents, or if you also find it in your sibling's or aunt/uncle's results, then it may be real, but it may also be misidentified by 23andme's algorithms - you need more research to figure that out. However, if that segment is not there in your parents, then no matter how high the confidence level at which it persists in your chromosome painting, it is pure noise - case closed. You cannot have a truly african DNA segment in your DNA if neither of your parents have it. If you find a different ethnicity in your parents chromosomes at that location, you might say that maybe 23andme misidentified it in your parents results but got it right in your own? If thats true, then how much can you really trust 0.1% segments?

I take this philosophy all the way to 1%, because I simply can't believe that 23andme's reference populations are 100% accurate - e.g. I can't believe that every member of the "Irish" reference population is truly 100% Irish going back multiple generations. Lots of families have hidden secret pasts that are covered up, or just plain unknown and wrongly assumed to be correct, because thats what the family bible says. This goes for all reference populations at all testing companies. None can be 100% accurate representations, no matter how many outliers are filtered out by PCA plot analysis.

Unless your parents have the same segment, and you have corroborating or even strong circumstantial evidence in your family tree for a distant african ancestor, do not put any stock in these small segments.
    Mum = 50% Irish, 25% Ukrainian, 25% Romanian
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fostert For This Useful Post:

Bog Body (05-11-2019),  digital_noise (05-11-2019),  Ruderico (05-11-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex

I have 0.1% NE African and 0.1% West African. Neither parents score any.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    North & Ionian Seas
    Nationality
    American

Quote Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
    I have 0.1% NE African and 0.1% West African. Neither parents score any.
    two things. those are small amounts and without any ancestry that has at least partial origins from those regions I'd say to ignore them. next, neither of your parents get those traces so that really seals it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12