Sex
    Ethnicity
    ENG, SWE, IRE, CAN
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA
    R-M222

England Sweden Ireland Canada United States of America
    I also was able to see all my shared matches below 20cm in March, and I wish I would have taken some screenshots. I have a specific family line that I’ve been having quite a few small breakthroughs lately and I think they would have been helpful.
    Lately, I’ve had some other weird things going on the past few days. I have strange common ancestors popping up on tests, even though neither of us have them in both of our trees. The strangest are some that I am seeing that link a hypothetical “ancestor” I placed in my tree. The “ancestor” is actually just a reference to a specific region of Ireland where I know my direct paternal line originated based on Y-DNA testing. The ironic thing that I am finding is that this “ancestor” only pops up as a common ancestor for people that I believe are related through that line due to shared matches. When I click “View Relationship” the page starts to load, but stalls out without loading our supposed relationship. Anyone else having that issue?
    6C1F635B-0E8A-4445-BD34-637B99EDAFA3.png
    Last edited by blur127; 04-11-2019 at 02:53 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blur127 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    I noticed last night and today that my smallest DNA matches are NOT loaded now in "Matches" but instead are visible for that particular ancestor on the newer "DNA Discoveries" in my Tree.. You have to turn it ON however..
    DNA Discoveries.png
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 04-12-2019 at 01:27 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathlingram For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-12-2019),  msmarjoribanks (04-12-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Ireland UK Sweden Germany
    Nationality
    US
    mtDNA
    J2b1a1(a)

Northern Ireland Ireland Wales Sweden Scotland
    Two of my connections for some reason cannot see the Beta Tree search.. I can go in and see THEIRS? Any ideas?

If you got to the tree and click a DNA Icon you can turn on a DNA Icon and see your ancestors marked with a Blue Circle with white faces.. Click then and it drops down to show matches from that person.. and they go down to very small matches..6cm..

The small matches now don't show in my "Common Ancestor" feature..some of my people I share with cannot see their but I CAN? Wondering..

Edit..So apparently it was a glitch and I was not supposed to see theirs..ThruLines sent me this message:"Your privacy is our primary concern. Only owners or managers of the AncestryDNA test(s) linked to this tree will be able to see ThruLines on this tree."
    Last edited by Kathlingram; 04-14-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Registered Users
    ancestry Irish, Scot, Eng (Devon,Somerset,Lancashire,Cheshire, Shrop,Essex)+ Crossen(Oder)-Gruenberg
    Ethnicity
    Celt? Vik? East-Ger Sorb?
    Nationality
    YDNA Hub. R1b/U106/S1688
    Y-DNA
    f.R1aCTS11962/L1029?
    mtDNA
    K1a26

If I don't know the Name of an ancestor but I do know I link to DNA remote relatives thru them so I put an ancestor in my tree called, say, "ancestor male Noack" and "ancestor female Noac". As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what their precise name was ..it's just that there was an ancestor whose name I will likely never determine but a person existed who is the MRCA of many matches. I have some ancestors called by the region there came from if that is known..so it seems to me you have a DNA match you are linked to via a similar ancestor in the matches tree. I was forced to put in male and female versions or otherwise, ancestry made me half cousins instead of full cousins, and sometimes where the match only put in say a mother, I would not get the match until I put ina female ancestor..and we only match on her! Until I out in the female ancestor I didn't get the thruline.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan_Noack For This Useful Post:

Saetro (04-19-2019)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Australian
    Y-DNA
    T-P322 (T1a2b1)
    mtDNA
    H6a1

Australia Cornwall England Scotland Germany Poland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan_Noack View Post
    If I don't know the Name of an ancestor but I do know I link to DNA remote relatives thru them so I put an ancestor in my tree called, say, "ancestor male Noack" and "ancestor female Noac". As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what their precise name was ..it's just that there was an ancestor whose name I will likely never determine but a person existed who is the MRCA of many matches. I have some ancestors called by the region there came from if that is known..so it seems to me you have a DNA match you are linked to via a similar ancestor in the matches tree. I was forced to put in male and female versions or otherwise, ancestry made me half cousins instead of full cousins, and sometimes where the match only put in say a mother, I would not get the match until I put ina female ancestor..and we only match on her! Until I out in the female ancestor I didn't get the thruline.
    This suggests that they are trying to encourage people to build out their trees.
    I am in favour of people doing that.
    But if they do not understand that building out their tree will find them more relatives they will not do it.
    I have matches who have done nothing with their tiny online tree for several years.
    But when I contact them they have heaps more.
    So they could put it online.
    But Ancestry, you HAVE TO TELL THEM.
    Especially when it cuts across the message that many many people take from the TV ads: "Test your DNA and find your entire tree already laid out for you"
    That's what they keep telling me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saetro For This Useful Post:

Jan_Noack (04-21-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12