Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTDNA Y-37 or YSEQ Superclade Orientation Panel?

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b FGC17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H15

Portugal 1143 Portugal 1485 Portugal Order of Christ Portugal

FTDNA Y-37 or YSEQ Superclade Orientation Panel?

Which one would you recommend and could you give some pros and cons for each lab?

YSEQ seems to have a fast service at a competitive price that FTDNA can't beat. So, is FTDNA giving more value for the money? If so, how?

I contacted Thomas from YSEQ and explained that so far I only know that my Y-DNA is R1b1b2a1a2f*\R1b-L21* and he replied:

"I clearly suggest the YSEQ R1b-L21 Superclade Orientation Panel for you.

It covers about 1000 subclades downstream of R1b-L21."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lusitano For This Useful Post:

Ruderico (03-22-2019)

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitano View Post
    Which one would you recommend and could you give some pros and cons for each lab?

YSEQ seems to have a fast service at a competitive price that FTDNA can't beat. So, is FTDNA giving more value for the money? If so, how?

I contacted Thomas from YSEQ and explained that so far I only know that my Y-DNA is R1b1b2a1a2f*\R1b-L21* and he replied:

"I clearly suggest the YSEQ R1b-L21 Superclade Orientation Panel for you.

It covers about 1000 subclades downstream of R1b-L21."
    It all depends on what your goals are? If you desire to climb further down the Haplotree to receive a more recent subclade then I would go with YSEQ. If you desire to find matches with whom you can communicate then I would go with Ftdna Y-37.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (03-22-2019),  Lusitano (03-22-2019),  Oleg (Rus) (03-25-2019),  slievenamon (03-23-2019)

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b FGC17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H15

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    It all depends on what your goals are? If you desire to climb further down the Haplotree to receive a more recent subclade then I would go with YSEQ. If you desire to find matches with whom you can communicate then I would go with Ftdna Y-37.
    I would like to know if I belong to a specific subclade that is only to be found in the Iberian peninsula or if it was introduced in Portugal via a more recent migration route.

Registered Users

I would like to know if I belong to a specific subclade that is only to be found in the Iberian peninsula or if it was introduced in Portugal via a more recent migration route.
    If the subclade in question is offered in the YSEQ test then I would go with that test. You might want to contact YSEQ first and verify that the particular subclade in question is 1/1000 that are tested.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

Best to pursue the detailed haplogroup via YSEQ then investigate its origins. Problem with the STR route is false positives. By way of example I have STR matches from Co. Cork in southern Ireland which I have no connection with at all (I'm from central highland Scotland). The reason being that the 'match' is a false positive due to STR convergence.

The disadvantage of the SNP panel is you'll have to do the follow up research yourself by looking at trees like YFull, Ytree etc and look at the locations of SNP confirmed testers.
    YSEQ:#37; YFull: YF01405 (Y Elite 2013)
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (03-22-2019),  Lusitano (03-22-2019),  slievenamon (03-23-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

duplicate
    Last edited by MacUalraig; 03-22-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    WGS (Full Genomes Nov 2015, YSEQ Feb 2019, Dante Mar 2019, FGC-10X Linked Reads Apr 2019, Dante-Nanopore May 2019) - further WGS tests pending ;-)
    Ancestry GCs: Scots in central Scotland & Ulster, Ireland; English in Yorkshire & Pennines
    Hidden Content
    FBIMatch: A828783 (autosomal DNA) for segment matching DO NOT POST ADMIXTURE REPORTS USING MY KIT

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b FGC17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H15

Quote Originally Posted by MacUalraig View Post
    Best to pursue the detailed haplogroup via YSEQ then investigate its origins. Problem with the STR route is false positives. By way of example I have STR matches from Co. Cork in southern Ireland which I have no connection with at all (I'm from central highland Scotland). The reason being that the 'match' is a false positive due to STR convergence.

The disadvantage of the SNP panel is you'll have to do the follow up research yourself by looking at trees like YFull, Ytree etc and look at the locations of SNP confirmed testers.
    You can't request a Bam. file from YSEQ to upload to the YTree?

Bronze Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Portuguese
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b FGC17866
    mtDNA (M)
    H15

Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    If the subclade in question is offered in the YSEQ test then I would go with that test. You might want to contact YSEQ first and verify that the particular subclade in question is 1/1000 that are tested.
    Thing is, I have no idea which particular subclade I have or have not. I only did the 23andMe Ancestry test so far and it doesn't say much besides that I am R1b1b2a1a2f*. Apparently from what I read, if the haplogroup is followed by this symbol * it means that the person that was tested derived positive for L21, but negative for all downstream nodes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lusitano For This Useful Post:

Ruderico (03-22-2019)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Pictland/Deira
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-M222-FGC5864
    mtDNA (M)
    H5r*

You can't request a Bam. file from YSEQ to upload to the YTree?
    You would need to do their WGS test to get a BAM file for YFull submission. That's the ultimate test but a price level up, > 600 euros v 86 euros for the L21 panel.
    Hidden Content

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacUalraig For This Useful Post:

FionnSneachta (03-22-2019),  Lusitano (03-22-2019),  Ruderico (03-22-2019)

Registered Users

Thing is, I have no idea which particular subclade I have or have not. I only did the 23andMe Ancestry test so far and it doesn't say much besides that I am R1b1b2a1a2f*. Apparently from what I read, if the haplogroup is followed by this symbol * it means that the person that was tested derived positive for L21, but negative for all downstream nodes.
    It depends on the type of test the person took to assert that they were negative for certain downstream subclades simply because they have the asterisk now. When you say asterisk are you referring to Yfull because they donít accept SNP Packs or individual SNP tests? To get back to your original point if you want to know if you are positive or not for a specific SNP or subclade be sure to make sure itís included in the test that you are purchasing. If you wish to know if you are positive or negative for all the subclades downstream and you wish to know your private Variants then youíll have to purchase a more advanced and more expensive test than the two you originally listed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mwauthy For This Useful Post:

Lusitano (03-23-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast